+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Newcomer tax benefits

cyborg009

Star Member
Mar 17, 2021
I landed on a PR in August and have been employed since. As it's time for filing tax returns I contacted the consultant who is asking for extra charges for newcomer benefits. I would like to enquire if there are really some benefits for a newcomer in terms of taxes or if it's just a scam?

P.S. I am a single individual living in Ontario who is not claiming any benefits from the government and is employed above an average salary if that helps.
Thank you

D

Deleted member 1083629

I landed on a PR in August and have been employed since. As it's time for filing tax returns I contacted the consultant who is asking for extra charges for newcomer benefits. I would like to enquire if there are really some benefits for a newcomer in terms of taxes or if it's just a scam?

P.S. I am a single individual living in Ontario who is not claiming any benefits from the government and is employed above an average salary if that helps.
Thank you
AFAIK, there are no newcomer benefits. There are certain benefits for 1st time filers (like you don't have to inform them of your property that generates income and costs more than 100K) but those benefits are not monetary.

Please, don't tell me you went to some consultant from your country that has no reviews on Google.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Thank you
Scam. It sounds as though you aren’t even a tax resident this year. You can file your taxes which will benefit you in the 2023 tax year not 2022 tax year. Simple software and if your only income is your salary it will be very simple to do yourself.

Reactions: cyborg009
D

Deleted member 1083629

t sounds as though you aren’t even a tax resident this year.
He came in August and was working in Canada (I assume). He will have to file taxes in 2023 for his Canadian income in 2022. He will most likely get some tax return unless he undercontributed from the paycheck.

Reactions: cyborg009

cyborg009

Star Member
Mar 17, 2021
AFAIK, there are no newcomer benefits. There are certain benefits for 1st time filers (like you don't have to inform them of your property that generates income and costs more than 100K) but those benefits are not monetary.

Please, don't tell me you went to some consultant from your country that has no reviews on Google.
Thanks for the reply. The consultant is in Canada itself but I got his number from one of my friends.

cyborg009

Star Member
Mar 17, 2021
He came in August and was working in Canada (I assume). He will have to file taxes in 2023 for his Canadian income in 2022. He will most likely get some tax return unless he undercontributed from the paycheck.
Yes. I have been working and have over-contributed for my tax and hoping to get the return.. thanks

caninfoseeker

Aug 25, 2011
Toronto
Visa Office......
Sydney
Hi there, if there is any benefit for you government of canada will sure pay you but you are required to file return as you have income in the period jan 22 to dec 22, your refund your benefits such as gst/hst, climate benefits are automatically calculated by computers and refunded into your bank account (if provided to cra and electronic filing done).
Disclaimer : not a legal advice