02-12-2016
AOR Received.
06-12-2016
Med's Done....
29-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
07-04-2017
Hi,

We have a baby on the way (mother is Canadian), and will be born outside Canada (in UK). We will be looking to move a via spousal sponsorship few months after the birth.

We'll be getting a UK passport for it, but would a Canadian passport be better before we move as well, or will it not make a difference - from looking at it, the baby will require a proof of citizenship form as well before it can get a passport, but can a new-born even get one of those as it asks for a signature and will take 6 months or more???

what is the best process for newborns outside Canada?

thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

The child will require a Canadian passport to travel to Canada. They will not be able to board a plane to Canada with a UK passport.

When you apply for the Certificate of Citizenship, you can apply concurrently for a limited validity passport for the child.

rwgs811

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2016
AOR Received.
06-12-2016
Med's Done....
29-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
07-04-2017
But that could take 8-9 months!?! Is there no quicker way?

Couldn't they in theory travel on their UK passport with an eTA? as the Canadian part wouldn't actually be proven until we applied for it?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
rwgs811 said:
But that could take 8-9 months!?! Is there no quicker way?

Couldn't they in theory travel on their UK passport with an eTA? as the Canadian part wouldn't actually be proven until we applied for it?
8-9 months? A passport can be issued in a matter of days.

No, the child can't get an eTA. S/he will be a Canadian citizen regardless of whether you have proof.

rwgs811

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2016
AOR Received.
06-12-2016
Med's Done....
29-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
07-04-2017
But the new passport form says it either needs Canadian Birth Certificate or proof of citizenship if they weren't born in Canada...

I understand the child will legally be Canadian, but how can it be proved which is what they ask for...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
rwgs811 said:
But the new passport form says it either needs Canadian Birth Certificate or proof of citizenship if they weren't born in Canada...

I understand the child will legally be Canadian, but how can it be proved which is what they ask for...
I should have been clearer. A limited validity passport can be issued on the basis of having applied for the Certificate of Citizenship. Include the proof of that app, the birth certificates and proof of imminent travel.

hunter21

Dec 31, 2016
rwgs811, I'm in a similar situation my baby has an Australian passport and mother is Canadian. We'll be moving to Canada and applying for Spousal Sponsoship too. Hence I have the same question, could I just apply for eTA for the baby?

Please tell me what you think is the best solution for the baby to enter Canada.

mhmc

Jan 2, 2017
I'm in a similar situation as well, only we are just travelling back to Canada for a few weeks this summer (arranged before we found out I was expecting, but baby's due in March which doesn't leave time for the applications). Will they grant a limited validity passport for travelling to our wedding or does it only apply in the case of a death or something like that?

What I don't understand is how a baby can have citizenship without proof. What's the proof of his Canadian citizenship when we get to the airport? Will Canadian border officials look at the eTA or is it simply for the purpose of boarding the plane? I spoke to someone at the Canadian Embassy in London who said not to declare the citizenship and we'd be fine because we haven't applied for it yet.

rwgs811

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2016
AOR Received.
06-12-2016
Med's Done....
29-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
07-04-2017
hunter21 said:
rwgs811, I'm in a similar situation my baby has an Australian passport and mother is Canadian. We'll be moving to Canada and applying for Spousal Sponsoship too. Hence I have the same question, could I just apply for eTA for the baby?

Please tell me what you think is the best solution for the baby to enter Canada.
Yes you can and you'll probably get away with it, but ideally should get a Canadian passport for it to be safe - you should contact your local Canadian embassy who will advise.

rwgs811

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2016
AOR Received.
06-12-2016
Med's Done....
29-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
07-04-2017
mhmc said:
I'm in a similar situation as well, only we are just travelling back to Canada for a few weeks this summer (arranged before we found out I was expecting, but baby's due in March which doesn't leave time for the applications). Will they grant a limited validity passport for travelling to our wedding or does it only apply in the case of a death or something like that?

What I don't understand is how a baby can have citizenship without proof. What's the proof of his Canadian citizenship when we get to the airport? Will Canadian border officials look at the eTA or is it simply for the purpose of boarding the plane? I spoke to someone at the Canadian Embassy in London who said not to declare the citizenship and we'd be fine because we haven't applied for it yet.
Yes, that's the confusing part, unofficially it doesn't, but if one of the parents is Canadian, the baby will have it from birth (it's just a case of proving it). The issue is that the new rules state that dual-citizens can only travel to Canada with their Canadian passport (that came into force in last November I think). So whilst you "can" probably travel on an eTA, to be completely safe from problems, get it a Canadian Passport.

Just apply for a passport as soon as it's born. You can get a limited Canadian passport in the UK, and it shouldn't take more than about 6 weeks for a limited passport. When you apply for the passport, the citizenship proof is done at the same time, although the passport will come through much sooner, which is all you need to actually travel. Besides, you'll need to get it a UK passport anyway.

mhmc

Jan 2, 2017
That is reassuring.. thanks! I'm not entirely sure they've thought this requirement through for every situation! The baby will at least be eligible for a British passport from birth as his father is British and I will have permanent residency in the UK, so we'll probably apply for everything all at once if possible.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Canadian citizens can't apply for eTAs. Regardless of whether you have proof of not, your children ARE Canadian citizens. You would have to lie to IRCC about the child's Canadian citizenship to get an eTA, which is actually fraud.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta.asp

Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA.

mhmc

Jan 2, 2017
Thank you for this information as well. What would you do in this situation, having an unexpected baby after already planning and paying for your wedding and not having enough time to go through the citizenship process? I'm not trying to sound snarky but am genuinely looking for advice seeing as how I'm receiving conflicting information from various sources.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
mhmc said:
Thank you for this information as well. What would you do in this situation, having an unexpected baby after already planning and paying for your wedding and not having enough time to go through the citizenship process? I'm not trying to sound snarky but am genuinely looking for advice seeing as how I'm receiving conflicting information from various sources.
As you've already been advised, apply concurrently for the Certificate of Citizenship and a limited validity Canadian passport right after the baby is born. Include proof of your travel plans. The passport can be issued within a few weeks or sooner if needed urgently.

mhmc

Jan 2, 2017
I haven't actually been advised of this, just read it on various other threads here. I've searched the CIC website for the information on how to apply but can't find it. Do you have a link for it? Do you know if this is likely to be an acceptable option if we're travelling for our wedding (i.e. Is this a valid option for every circumstance or is it at the discretion of Canada whether to grant a limited validity passport, and they may see a wedding as frivolous and not worthy of this?)