+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Newborn dual citizen travelling with UK passport / eTA

ku57809

Apr 13, 2018
I wonder if anyone can help as I can't find a way to speak to Canada House here in the UK!

My son will be born at the end of next month, he's eligible for Canadian citizenship as my husband is Canadian. We hope to take him to Canada a week or so after he's born. We can get a UK passport that quickly, and then get him an eTA to travel, but it doesn't look like there's any way to get his Canadian citizenship and passport within a week.

What I'm wondering is whether anyone knows if this will cause any issues with applying for Canadian citizenship for him and therefore a Canadian passport once we're back in the UK?

Thank you!! Any help is appreciated.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I wonder if anyone can help as I can't find a way to speak to Canada House here in the UK!

My son will be born at the end of next month, he's eligible for Canadian citizenship as my husband is Canadian. We hope to take him to Canada a week or so after he's born. We can get a UK passport that quickly, and then get him an eTA to travel, but it doesn't look like there's any way to get his Canadian citizenship and passport within a week.

What I'm wondering is whether anyone knows if this will cause any issues with applying for Canadian citizenship for him and therefore a Canadian passport once we're back in the UK?

Thank you!! Any help is appreciated.
First a technicality. You will not "apply for Canadian citizenship" for your son. Your son already is a Canadian citizen at birth. You can only apply for a proof of Citizenship. Just wanted to point that out, because people like to mix those forms up.

Now regarding travel, it's as follows:

Technically you are not allowed to apply for an eTA for your son. Canadian citizens are not allowed to get eTAs. Instead they must use a Canadian travel document to board a plane to Canada. You will have to confirm in the eTA application that your son is not a Canadian citizen. To do that you would have to lie because, well, he is.

Actually though the electronic system will have no records of your newborn son. So if you apply for an eTA based on his UK passport, the system will issue the eTA and you can board the flight with that. Please note though that while this will most likely work it is technically a breach of Canadian immigration/travel rules. Not a very grave one, but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable doing that. Your call to make.

Instead you can contact the Canadian Embassy (or, as it is called in the UK, the Canadian High Commission) and ask for an expedited procedure to get proof of citizenship and a passport for a newborn. To do this, you would of course need documentation that proves that the father is Canadian (easy with a Canadian birth certificate for the father and a birth certificate for the child listing him as the father). I can't find the appropriate page for this on the UK website, but here is the info by the embassy in Italy. The same rules should apply in the UK:
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/italy-italie/consular_services_consulaires/passportsfornewborn_passeportsnourrisson.aspx?lang=eng

Note that it takes up to 30 business days to process this.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

First a technicality. You will not "apply for Canadian citizenship" for your son. Your son already is a Canadian citizen at birth. You can only apply for a proof of Citizenship. Just wanted to point that out, because people like to mix those forms up.

Now regarding travel, it's as follows:

Technically you are not allowed to apply for an eTA for your son. Canadian citizens are not allowed to get eTAs. Instead they must use a Canadian travel document to board a plane to Canada. You will have to confirm in the eTA application that your son is not a Canadian citizen. To do that you would have to lie because, well, he is.

Actually though the electronic system will have no records of your newborn son. So if you apply for an eTA based on his UK passport, the system will issue the eTA and you can board the flight with that. Please note though that while this will most likely work it is technically a breach of Canadian immigration/travel rules. Not a very grave one, but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable doing that. Your call to make.

Instead you can contact the Canadian Embassy (or, as it is called in the UK, the Canadian High Commission) and ask for an expedited procedure to get proof of citizenship and a passport for a newborn. To do this, you would of course need documentation that proves that the father is Canadian (easy with a Canadian birth certificate for the father and a birth certificate for the child listing him as the father). I can't find the appropriate page for this on the UK website, but here is the info by the embassy in Italy. The same rules should apply in the UK:
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/italy-italie/consular_services_consulaires/passportsfornewborn_passeportsnourrisson.aspx?lang=eng

Note that it takes up to 30 business days to process this.
1. Note that the OP can apply for a facilitation visa on the UK passport, it definitely would be quicker that Proof of Citizenship/limited Canadian passport. See: http://tinyurl.com/ya2768v3

Reactions: spyfy and scylla

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi

1. Note that the OP can apply for a facilitation visa on the UK passport, it definitely would be quicker that Proof of Citizenship/limited Canadian passport. See: http://tinyurl.com/ya2768v3
Wouldn't this depend very much on underlying reasons for urgent travel? Also, there appears to be no Canadian issued documentation for the child available apart from the birth certificate of the Canadian father. Would that be sufficient for a facilitation visa application?