+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New work permit issued today at POE

bananawolf

Dec 8, 2009
Hello, guys. I just want to share my experience today on a new work permit application. The following is the link of my previous post but I will describe my situation once again here.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/new-work-permit-at-port-of-entry-t110098.0.html

I was holding a closed work permit which is valid until Sept. 2012. I am NOT from visa-exempt country but I do have a multi-entry worker's visa based on my previous work permit which is also valid until Sept. 2012. Recently, I got an offer from another employer and a positive LMO was issued about 10 days ago. My new employer is eligible for A-LMO application and indeed the positive LMO was issued in 6 business days.
This morning I drove to Niagara Fall rainbow bridge, walked to the US side and asked the immigration officer there to issue me a piece of paper to indicate that I had indeed left Canada. Then I walked back to the Canada side and told the officer in the inspection booth that I would like to apply for a new work permit. He is very familiar with this situation. After briefly reading my old work permit, passport and visa. He told me to go to the immigration office.
In the immigration office, an immigration officer asked me for my old work permit, passport, new LMO, job offer letter and resume. After she did her own work for about 15 minutes, she asked me to pay 150 dollars and then issued me a very new work permit. However, she didn't give my old work permit back to me. When I requested my old work permit for my own record, she told me I don't need it anymore. In case for CIC inspection, they always have the records for everyone in their database.
I hope my experience would benefit those having similar situation. If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer.

wsongco

Nov 7, 2010
montreal
Visa Office......
CPC VERGREVILLE
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-11-2010
Interview........
24-04-2013 CAQ
LANDED..........
29-08-2013
Re: New work permit issued today at POE

thanks for sharing. Do you need US Visa to pass the boarder? And what is the validity of your new wp? Is it same as your passport expiry?
Thanks

bananawolf

Dec 8, 2009
No, I don't have a US visa. You can search for "flagpole" in this forum to get an idea of how that works.
My passport will expire in 2021. So the new work permit is valid for same amount of time on my LMO.

newcecapp

Star Member
Jun 12, 2012
hi bananawolf, I have a US visa. does it mean that I can get the piece of paper even without doing a flagpole?

bananawolf

Dec 8, 2009
newcecapp: If you have a US visa, you can go to the US, probably do some shopping and fill your tank up. Then you can come back right away. What flagpole does is just to show Canada custom officer that you have indeed left Canada.

optimus

Dec 14, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2013
AOR Received.
26-02-2013
IELTS Request
With App
Med's Request
21-11-2013
Med's Done....
28-11-2013
Passport Req..
11-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2013
LANDED..........
30-12-2013
Hi Bananawolf,
Are you allowed to work for the old employer after re-entering canada with the new work permit? At least for the notice period? Did they ask about it in the Border?

bananawolf

Dec 8, 2009
Optimus: No, they did not ask about that. However, as discussed on this forum, your concern should not be a big issue.

I/B/O/W

Aug 17, 2012
Hi Bananawolf,

Quick question. I received my LMO today and I am thinking of going to the border to get my WP. But here is the thing, I came as a visitor to Canada in April 2012 and my visitor visa expired shortly after I landed. I am from India (don't know if that is a visa exempt country or not). So couple of questions:

1. Should I go to the border and apply for my work permit (I am very well qualified for the role)?
2. I am current in Alberta (Edmonton), which border should I go to (if you would know)?

It will be really helpful if you could help me with this.

Thanks!!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Your initial work permit should be processed outside of Canada and you being a visitor without a valid visa can not apply at the border.

I/B/O/W said:
Hi Bananawolf,

Quick question. I received my LMO today and I am thinking of going to the border to get my WP. But here is the thing, I came as a visitor to Canada in April 2012 and my visitor visa expired shortly after I landed. I am from India (don't know if that is a visa exempt country or not). So couple of questions:

1. Should I go to the border and apply for my work permit (I am very well qualified for the role)?
2. I am current in Alberta (Edmonton), which border should I go to (if you would know)?

It will be really helpful if you could help me with this.

Thanks!!

theoffspring

Jul 19, 2012
Hi Bananawolf!

Thanks for the information. I posted earlier but over the last two months my situation has changed drastically.

Anyway, I ended up staying because there were complications with the new employer. But now I am in the same predicament. I am from a visa-required country. I have a valid Work Permit, valid temporary resident visa. However, another employer has applied for an A-LMO and will be hearing back soon. Can I go to the border and do the same process? Any tips, etc?

You mentioned going to the US side and and "flagpoling". I do not have a US Visa, should I just tell them that? If you could point me to any links on this subject it would be much appreciated

bananawolf

Dec 8, 2009
Hi, theoffspring: You can definitely go to the border and try to get a new work permit there. I remember there was another member in this forum who also mentioned that he got a new work permit for a new employer at POE. And he has the same situation as yours and mine. So I guess obtaining a new work permit for a new employer for us not from visa-exempt country has now become unexceptional.
I didn't have a US visa either. If you do a search of "flagpole" in this forum you will find a lot of useful information. However, I have been thinking that maybe I didn't even need to do a "flagpole" at the Niagara Fall rainbow bridge. Maybe I can come back directly on the bridge to the Canada side. I believe whether or not you need to do "flagpole" depends on the border officer. If they ask you to do so, then you do that.
Anyway, in conclusion, you can try anyway. I don't think there will be any side-effect. But it is not always 100% guaranteed and may depend on which border you go. If you live in GTA region, Niagara Fall rainbow bridge is a nice place to go.
I hope these will help and please share your own experiences when you come back. Thanks and good luck!

theoffspring

Jul 19, 2012
Hi Bananawolf,

Thanks for the great information!

I just received word that my employer is actually applying TODAY for the A-LMO (after waiting for two weeks for no reason!? Why is HR always so slow! lol). Anyway, they are registered with HRSDC and do a lot of LMO's every year. They said I should hear back within next week or the week after.

In any case, I will probably be going to the Rainbow Bridge as I live in Hamilton. I am extremely nervous about the whole situation because my new employer wants me to start ASAP and I do not have the time to wait 57 days for CIC to process my new work permit!

theoffspring

Jul 19, 2012
Hello All!

First off, I want to thank bananawolf for posting some great information regarding getting the work permit at a point of entry (POE). I went this past weekend and was able to obtain a Work Permit at a POE (I am from a TRV-required country). In addition to his post, here are some more details

>> You MUST obtain a positive LMO before you go there.
>> You HAVE to exit Canada and re-enter. This is important as they can only issue a work permit upon entry (I confirmed this with the CBSA agent)
>> People from TRV-required countries CAN infact get a Work Permit at a POE. However, they MUST have a valid TRV that shows their status as WORKER. It cannot stay "Student" or "Visitor". I confirmed this with the CBSA agent as well. Also, here is the CBSA link for this information: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/twfp-ptet/twfp-ptet-eng.html

Good luck to all!!

watchpu5hp

Star Member
May 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th Dec 2012
Doc's Request.
NA
AOR Received.
28th Jan 2013
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
24th Sep 2013
Med's Done....
1st Oct 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
21st Oct 2013
VISA ISSUED...
7th nov 2013
LANDED..........
10th Nov 2013
bananawolf said:
Hello, guys. I just want to share my experience today on a new work permit application. The following is the link of my previous post but I will describe my situation once again here.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/new-work-permit-at-port-of-entry-t110098.0.html

I was holding a closed work permit which is valid until Sept. 2012. I am NOT from visa-exempt country but I do have a multi-entry worker's visa based on my previous work permit which is also valid until Sept. 2012. Recently, I got an offer from another employer and a positive LMO was issued about 10 days ago. My new employer is eligible for A-LMO application and indeed the positive LMO was issued in 6 business days.
This morning I drove to Niagara Fall rainbow bridge, walked to the US side and asked the immigration officer there to issue me a piece of paper to indicate that I had indeed left Canada. Then I walked back to the Canada side and told the officer in the inspection booth that I would like to apply for a new work permit. He is very familiar with this situation. After briefly reading my old work permit, passport and visa. He told me to go to the immigration office.
In the immigration office, an immigration officer asked me for my old work permit, passport, new LMO, job offer letter and resume. After she did her own work for about 15 minutes, she asked me to pay 150 dollars and then issued me a very new work permit. However, she didn't give my old work permit back to me. When I requested my old work permit for my own record, she told me I don't need it anymore. In case for CIC inspection, they always have the records for everyone in their database.
I hope my experience would benefit those having similar situation. If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer.
Can you share the information about documents which one need to carry for this to border? I know this information may be present in some other thread but a input from you would be helpful since you were the one who did this successfully.