+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New work permit extension form - CONFUSING on accompanying family

sonjy

Feb 24, 2010
Hello,

Need a quick advise on filling out the new work permit extension form - I'm helping my friend's family with spouse and 3 children.

In the old form (IMM1249 used until Oct 2012), you could just add dependents' basic personal info, client ids, and visas requested in the same application form as the principal accplicant in the family.

In the new form (IMM5710 used since Nov 2012), there is no place to input family info. Do you have to fill out 5 forms (one each for applicant, spouse, and 3 chidlren) and almost 20+ pages of paper work?

I must be missing something. Please advise.
Thank you,

Jay from Edmonton

Pro_Public

Star Member
Dec 5, 2012
Each person 18+ needs to fill their own forms, either for WP, TR, or SP. Minors can apply for TR or SP if you want.
Unfortunately, if you use paper application, that is basically how it works. Else, call CIC and find out the most updated information.

sonjy

Feb 24, 2010
Thank you Pro-public for your reply.

So basically, minors (under 18) would also have to submit their own "visitor record extension" form even when they are accompnaying dependents to a parent (who is the principal applicant extending his work permit).

The confusing part here is that in the previous Extension form IMM1249, all family members just needed to submit their info in one form. Now it looks like each minors (even under 10) would have to submit his/her own.

Jay