+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New TRV measures from IRCC for spouses having sponsorship application

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I'm the sponsor and my husband is the PA in morocco. We have been married almost 1 year. We started talking December 2020, started to begin a relationship around April 2021. We met in October on a trip in turkey.

Tried to apply for trv for him to visit me here in Nov 2021 (denied to funds, lack of employment prospects, travel history and purpose of trip, employment situation), reapplied December 2021 and denied again (purpose of trip, funds, limited employment prospects).
The fnds/employment prospects/employment situation is already a fairly significant flag as to what the refusal is based upon - poor (assessed) employment prospects for your spouse. (Note: it's not me saying this, it's what they wrote).

It's not mentioned much here but country of origin is a significant one (in my view), as IRCC certainly has countries for which the level of assessed (by IRCC) immigration fraud is high.

We don't have direct info about that. As a source of info that I'd consider only a *proxy* for this, I'd look at the level of student applications rejected:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/transparency/committees/cimm-feb-15-17-2022/student-approval-rates.html

Mind, I'd ignore entries for countries in this that don't have many total applications at all - more for countries that have at least several hundred or more than a thousand entries/apps. And to add to this, I'd say 'weight' this by GDP - those with GDP per capita below some level ($5000 US? only a guess) are going to be seen as more problematic.

I'm not saying it's only about these two measures, but that my guess is that together these two indicators would be a pretty accurate rough-and-ready measure giving some probability of refusal; my biggest criticism of using these two together is that they already probably overlap too much (I forget the statistics name for this).

Those who have profiles with higher education, income and travel history from these countries are going to be approved more readily.

Whalla

Aug 23, 2023
I am interested to hear from those who were successful in being approved for TRV in recent months. How long is it taking for new entrants to Canada with TRV to be successful in obtaining a work permit ?

YULpj

Star Member
May 14, 2019
Hi YULpj - I know its tough but pls stay strong. This whole process is very demanding and know that you are not alone. Let your partner's Pr application progress ahead - atleast when you know see background check and eligibility passed - then apply for TRV again. Or who knows, you might get the PPR on your PR application by then.

And despite having a tough day, you took the time to come here and shared the news with us. Thank you for sharing the info with all us on this forum. Every single update, from each of us - helps all of us to understand how CIC is operating each week.

All the best.
Thank you for the kind words, yes it’s tough like you say but I’m hoping the PR will get approved by the end of the year. I have already passed the 16 month mark so hopefully more positive news on the way

T0pubo

Dec 11, 2021
St. John's/Montreal
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-11-2021
Doc's Request.
14-03-2022
AOR Received.
14-04-2022
Med's Done....
03-11-2021
I'm the sponsor and my husband is the PA in morocco. We have been married almost 1 year. We started talking December 2020, started to begin a relationship around April 2021. We met in October on a trip in turkey.

Tried to apply for trv for him to visit me here in Nov 2021 (denied to funds, lack of employment prospects, travel history and purpose of trip, employment situation), reapplied December 2021 and denied again (purpose of trip, funds, limited employment prospects).

We traveled to Dubai in June 2022, I went to Morocco in September for marriage and left Morocco in November. Applied for spousal in November. We went to dubai again February 2023 and I went to Morocco again in June 2023.

We showed about $7000 cad in his account with Bank statements. We filled out all the paperwork and supplied my bank information with over 100k in bank and the bank certified the information, gave pay stubs, t4. Said that we seeking trv while we waited for the application to be completed gave all that information. Requested 6 months and said if the trv expired before application was approved we would have a flight ticket prechased for him to go back while we continue to wait.

I messaged the MP last month, they still never had any information until my husband said he received a response in the portal. I messaged the mp about the results.... and now here we are. Ties were never an issue in the previous trv. But funds were. Though I stated and showed I will responsible for him financially (they had no issues for the sponsor approval for me regarding finances.)
Have you considered attaching this announcement: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2023/05/canada-is-reuniting-loved-ones-through-new-immigration-measures-new-measures-also-address-labour-shortages-in-canada.html

As well as buying a return ticket (buy the refund/cancellation insurance), maybe even 2 one-way tickets. If your spouse is working, can there be a letter from his employer? If there are steps pending for the spousal application that need to be completed in Morocco, mention that too.

I am asking because I just got married (Nigeria) and will be submitting the sponsorship application shortly.

emett22

Jul 24, 2023
-PA is from Philippines
-Applied May 30th 2023
-PA has good travel history to several countries in Asia (self financed leisure travels)
-Reason for travel: To be reunited while we wait for our Spousal Sponsorship
-Duration: 6 months
-PA is currently unemployed
-No home ties demonstrated whatsoever
-Fund amount: 10K CAD
-For proof of funds I gave a letter saying PA will stay with me in my house, I will pay for everything, I showed my TFSA with over 100K CAD and bank account for last 6 months.
-No letter of invitation
-No letter of explanation
-I'm a Canadian citizen
Good for you, I hope I will have similar outcome with my soon to be Filipina wife. Although, I don't have 100k in my TFSA, infact the wedding and travel is going to pretty much wipe out my savings, but I keep $1,200 savings per month and I make 62k a year as a financial advisor.

Should I wait till my savings balance has increased to apply?

Whalla

Aug 23, 2023
Spousal Outland Sponsorship
Applied: 20th April 2023
AOR: 26th June 2023
SA: 27th June 2023
Biometrics request: 28th June 2023
Biometrics completed: 7th July 2023
Applied for TRV: 15th August 2023
Medical request: 21st Sept 2023
Medical completed: 6th October 2023
PPR request (for permanent residence): 3rd November 2023

VO office: Accra, Ghana

Total time from application to PPR: 6 months 14 days

No acknowledgement of TRV application received.
It seems like they are ignoring TRV applications and instead are processing Permanent Residence applications faster.

May 19, 2016
It’s a lie the it’s no such program or something similar , my wife accepted by federal and Quebec , apply for fast TRV for her wait her pr in Canada , VISA denied they said that the think that she will not go back to her country , that’s absurd the perpouse of this “ fast TRV for faster family reunification, it’s for them come and wit PR inside Canadá” at the end it’s a lie and by the way it’s not 30 days it took the 90 days to say denied

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
It’s a lie the it’s no such program or something similar , my wife accepted by federal and Quebec , apply for fast TRV for her wait her pr in Canada , VISA denied they said that the think that she will not go back to her country , that’s absurd the perpouse of this “ fast TRV for faster family reunification, it’s for them come and wit PR inside Canadá” at the end it’s a lie and by the way it’s not 30 days it took the 90 days to say denied
100% agreed! The suggested purpose of TRV applicants, who have already applied for Spousal PR, was to unite families before the PR application is processed. It is understood that the applicant is applying to enter Canada and live with their family. And the only venue they have given is TRV.
But CIC officers insist on rejecting applications saying the person will not go back - they repeat it like a parrot with no IQ - while they fully know that the applicant already has a Spousal PR application in the process. Now CIC has started to reason that unless a Spousal PR applicant has received AOR, Sponsorship Approval and cleared Eligibility on their PR application - they will not get TRV.

I will repeat that we should write a webform - will not cost anyone - addressing supervisors and seniors about this issue. When Spousal PR is in the process, why do CIC officers insist on their arhaic process. And if that protocol is not abandoned, then why dont they come clean and clearly say that no, family reunification was a mistake, we have cancelled that policy.

The reason is, they want to keep that policy effective, for nationals of certain 'favorite' countries. That's why they will never repeal the Family Reunification policy, but they will use it selectively. Regardless, we should write WEBFORMS and emails to MP - highlighting them the systematic use of this policy, granting some, while rejecting others and creating absurd reasons. Their should be an immediate audit of TRV approvals in the past 6 months.

SKGUG

Nov 29, 2023
100% agreed! The suggested purpose of TRV applicants, who have already applied for Spousal PR, was to unite families before the PR application is processed. It is understood that the applicant is applying to enter Canada and live with their family. And the only venue they have given is TRV.
But CIC officers insist on rejecting applications saying the person will not go back - they repeat it like a parrot with no IQ - while they fully know that the applicant already has a Spousal PR application in the process. Now CIC has started to reason that unless a Spousal PR applicant has received AOR, Sponsorship Approval and cleared Eligibility on their PR application - they will not get TRV.

I will repeat that we should write a webform - will not cost anyone - addressing supervisors and seniors about this issue. When Spousal PR is in the process, why do CIC officers insist on their arhaic process. And if that protocol is not abandoned, then why dont they come clean and clearly say that no, family reunification was a mistake, we have cancelled that policy.

The reason is, they want to keep that policy effective, for nationals of certain 'favorite' countries. That's why they will never repeal the Family Reunification policy, but they will use it selectively. Regardless, we should write WEBFORMS and emails to MP - highlighting them the systematic use of this policy, granting some, while rejecting others and creating absurd reasons. Their should be an immediate audit of TRV approvals in the past 6 months.
We have applied for TRV after waiting for 12 months and our application is still in progress, we abviously got AOR, and sponsor approval, but eligibility has been pending since July 2023. My frustration with them remains, what is holding the file? Why is eligibility and criminality taking 10 months now?

So, we decided, it doesn't hurt to try the TRV.

It looks like trying to do things the right way only hurts and I start to understand people who will cut corners.

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
We have applied for TRV after waiting for 12 months and our application is still in progress, we abviously got AOR, and sponsor approval, but eligibility has been pending since July 2023. My frustration with them remains, what is holding the file? Why is eligibility and criminality taking 10 months now?

So, we decided, it doesn't hurt to try the TRV.

It looks like trying to do things the right way only hurts and I start to understand people who will cut corners.
cut the tape, cut the cake or the cut the corner. It does NOT MATTER. Your origin and nationality matters.
In the past 6 months, I have seen that only certain passport holders are granted TRV visas who have spousal applications. Majority are rejected.
If the applicant is from India or Philippines, you obviously have higher chances of getting the TRV. Secondly, if you are from other countries, and residing working in Middle East, Europe or USA, that also works in your favor.

Sonikell

Apr 24, 2023
Unfortunately I think the system has gotten worse over the years regardless of ones nationality. A decade ago I would get a TRV in 2 hours, a few years ago it was 5 days and when I applied for Trv a few months ago it took 2 months to come through. (despite having travelled over 2 dozen times). The system is overburdened and immigration numbers are far higher than they were a few years ago, also the international students programs are massive now and are being used for indirect immigration with nearly a million students using that avenue.

we were fortunate our pr got approved quickly, but I also remember submitting every possible proof that would be needed with as many letters of explanation if there were any gaps In the information provided. A lot of the data provided by applicants from countries needs to be verified by Canadian authorities and depending on the country you are from this can vary from super easy to extremely difficult and painstaking, this, imo has probably more to do than anything else.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Unfortunately I think the system has gotten worse over the years regardless of ones nationality. A decade ago I would get a TRV in 2 hours, a few years ago it was 5 days and when I applied for Trv a few months ago it took 2 months to come through. (despite having travelled over 2 dozen times).
There are lots of negative changes, but from our experience, the switch to issuing long-tenor TRVs (5, 10 years now common) is a big improvement. That might predate the period you're referring to though.

Hydwind

Oct 1, 2023
We applied for TRV yesterday. Hoping it will be better. My spouse was denied twice in past but we weren't married at the time. We asked for 6 months. But still concerned as he is unemployed and nervous he will get rejected. But as the sponsorship requires me to be able to look after for 3 years why can't I do that as with TRV now. We won't hold our breathe for the TRV approval though, don't need disappointment.
Can you please update us regarding this, even mine rejected twice and now i applied again after PR submission