+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Travel Restrictions - does it apply to students?

Arka161

Star Member
Jul 24, 2020
Hello, there has been an update from the Prime Minister that one has to quarantine in a hotel and pay $2000 for the first 3 days after arriving in Canada. Does that apply to International Students with a valid stamp on the VISA, or are we exempt? I have received my passport stamp on 12th November 2020.

I am studying at the University of Montreal.

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
Passport stamp has nothing to do with travel restriction. Depends upon the hotel not all hotels are going to cost 2000$

rower

Sep 29, 2020
British Columbia
I just found out about the same. I HOPE international students are exempt and just have to provide the negative test (not older than 72h) and do 14 days mandatory quarantine... How are we supposed to pay an additional 2000$????
The announcements were made this morning, allow some time for the clear cut instructions to get updated in the various gov portals. The 3 day quarantine is to prove that you're negative post landing. Now the lines in various press news say "returning Canadians", but it is still vague if it is for everyone. For the quarantine costs you will have to plan in advance.

Reactions: studentfrompoland

studentfrompoland

Star Member
Jan 22, 2021
The announcements were made this morning, allow some time for the clear cut instructions to get updated in the various gov portals. The 3 day quarantine is to prove that you're negative post landing. Now the lines in various press news say "returning Canadians", but it is still vague if it is for everyone. For the quarantine costs you will have to plan in advance.
But I don't get what should cost an estimated $2000. If he is talking about those 3 days INCLUDING the 14 days quarantine, I can say okay, this might be right. But those 3 days alone with the PCR test would ridiculous.
They would lose so many students. But you're right, let's wait for the information to be more precise the next days

rower

Sep 29, 2020
British Columbia
But I don't get what should cost an estimated $2000. If he is talking about those 3 days INCLUDING the 14 days quarantine, I can say okay, this might be right. But those 3 days alone with the PCR test would ridiculous.
They would lose so many students. But you're right, let's wait for the information to be more precise the next days
Its for those 3 days.

Link: Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has announced all Canadian travellers returning from overseas will have to take a COVID-19 test at the airport when they land and quarantine in a designated hotel for three days at their own expense while they await results. He says that's expected to cost more than $2000.

anmolwadera

Star Member
Feb 29, 2020
But international students already have to quarantine for 14 days. I hope this doesn't affect us. I don't have a problem with taking a test at the airport but to spend a thousand dollars or more first at a hotel and then another 1000-1500$ at a different quarantine place for the remaining time will make no sense.

studentfrompoland

Star Member
Jan 22, 2021
Its for those 3 days.

Link: Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has announced all Canadian travellers returning from overseas will have to take a COVID-19 test at the airport when they land and quarantine in a designated hotel for three days at their own expense while they await results. He says that's expected to cost more than $2000.
Absolutely insane $2000 for 3 days + quarantine on top of that including food, medicine (if needed). Let's hope there will be more clarification.
If that's really the case, they will lose a lot of students.

rower

Sep 29, 2020
British Columbia
But international students already have to quarantine for 14 days. I hope this doesn't affect us. I don't have a problem with taking a test at the airport but to spend a thousand dollars or more first at a hotel and then another 1000-1500$ at a different quarantine place for the remaining time will make no sense.
Its like 3 days hotel quarantine - test negative - remaining days at your own quarantine
Else, 3 days hotel quarantine - test positive - remain in hotel till you recover

https://www.cp24.com/news/trudeau-suspending-travel-down-south-will-require-all-incoming-travellers-to-quarantine-in-hotels-1.5287360
Those who test negative will then be allowed to return to their home or other final destination and complete the rest of a 14-day quarantine under “increased surveillance.”. Positive cases will have to stay in hotels until they recover.

Robrobrob

Jan 27, 2021
Exactly my thoughts.
I just applied for a study permit this morning before the news came out. This is just great! Like @studentfrompoland said they will keep away many students. That's not the way to go with their "big immigration plans for 2021-2023". :D

rower

Sep 29, 2020
British Columbia
Exactly my thoughts.
I just applied for a study permit this morning before the news came out. This is just great! Like @studentfrompoland said they will keep away many students. That's not the way to go with their "big immigration plans for 2021-2023". :D
Don't lose hope, final guidelines still awaited. The announcement said "returning Canadians"

Robrobrob

Jan 27, 2021
We're awaiting final instructions, it still says "returning Canadians"
That would make more sense since, according to many newspapers, Trudeau and Co. are urging people to cancel their outbound flights. I think this is a smart move to keep Canadians inside of the country. On the other hand, if this also applies to incoming students, they will get massive problems.

jigzyy

VIP Member
Jul 1, 2010
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
File Transfer...
22-07-2013
Med's Request
02-04-2014
Med's Done....
15-04-2014
Interview........
21-01-2014
Passport Req..
01-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
22-09-2014
Currently, all international students have to take a covid test arranged by institutes with in quarantine period. At least that's the case in Ontario. What I can see is that institutes might deny personally arranged quarantine locations after the rules are out and instead they'll enforce students to stay at a designated quarantine location/hotel. Students might have to go through a PCR test on arrival AND probably after 8 ~ 10 days while in quarantine.

Do not panic as of yet. Wait for the rules and exceptions.