+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New three day quarantine requirement

mandy24

Jan 4, 2021
Wait so if flying from POS —> YYZ —> YVR... mandatory 3 day quarantine is in YYZ? You’re not allowed to connect and do quarantine at final destination?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Wait so if flying from POS —> YYZ —> YVR... mandatory 3 day quarantine is in YYZ? You’re not allowed to connect and do quarantine at final destination?
Yes you must quarantine at your original POE for at least 2-3 nights until you get your PCR results. Makes sense because Canada is trying to prevent people with covid from flying domestically and potentially spreading covid.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thx. POE is YYZ and then final destination is Cambridge, ON.
My gf and I would do the 11 days quarantine together in a hotel in Cambridge. I'm guessing it may need to be 14 days, since it may need to be counted from her first contact with me. While I could theoretically stop quarantining after the 11 days, I guess (would stay with the gf of course as time together is the whole point ;)).
We still don't know if people can quarantine with non-travelers after the 3 days. The whole point of quarantine is to remain separate from nom-travelers. I know in some provinces you would 't be able to remain with your partner but in other provinces you've been able to quarantine with family members. Nobody knows how strict they will be and whether it will be consistent between provinces because it currently isn't.

Indigogrl

Jan 31, 2021
We still don't know if people can quarantine with non-travelers after the 3 days. The whole point of quarantine is to remain separate from nom-travelers. I know in some provinces you would 't be able to remain with your partner but in other provinces you've been able to quarantine with family members. Nobody knows how strict they will be and whether it will be consistent between provinces because it currently isn't.

Yes. I have an inquiry going with the public health agency on this. When I get feedback, I will post it here as well.

As for the point of quarantine:
Bottom line is not to spread it. Since you are quarantining together for 14 days and the traveler has had 2 tests by then, you definitely are not spreading anything to the population. Max is to your partner and they consent. And risk there is certainly very minimized after 2 negative tests.

I'd much rather not travel at all.
We have not seen in each other in over a year. Luckily we are still together despite that.
It's a weighing of risks. I myself will quarantine here 14 days before travel as well.
I've not seen my family or hung out with another person at all outside of work for a year either.

But anyway, I'll post when I hear back on joined quarantine from the public health agency.

Also, for the other people planning their trip here. This checklist could be helpful.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist#arriving

zeesidds

Feb 21, 2021
Hi friends
I would like to know the government approved listed hotels to quarantine for 3 nights in Toronto and how to approach them for the hotel booking as per new travel restrictions.
I have checked the ircc website but couldn't find the complete information..
Kindly advice, if someone go through the same experience..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes. I have an inquiry going with the public health agency on this. When I get feedback, I will post it here as well.

As for the point of quarantine:
Bottom line is not to spread it. Since you are quarantining together for 14 days and the traveler has had 2 tests by then, you definitely are not spreading anything to the population. Max is to your partner and they consent. And risk there is certainly very minimized after 2 negative tests.

I'd much rather not travel at all.
We have not seen in each other in over a year. Luckily we are still together despite that.
It's a weighing of risks. I myself will quarantine here 14 days before travel as well.
I've not seen my family or hung out with another person at all outside of work for a year either.

But anyway, I'll post when I hear back on joined quarantine from the public health agency.

Also, for the other people planning their trip here. This checklist could be helpful.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist#arriving
Spreading it to one other person is spreading it. It can mean that the health system will need to deal with 2 patients and not one. People can get lucky and either not have covid or give their partner covid a mild have mild case of covid but both could also end up hospitalized. The financial burden will fall on the Ontario taxpayer if you end up in the ICU with covid so I'm not sure why proof of health insurance that covers covid isn't still part of the requirement to visit as a foreign national. at this point. Bills for treatment in the ICU could be over 1 million dollars.

Would warn you that an answer from federal public health isn't a confirmed answer. The people on the ground make the final decision and different provinces have different interpretations of the rules and in the end the provinces are in charge of healthcare. This new policy seems to be still taking shape and assume there is still confusion about the program. Would be prepared for all the different potential outcomes.

Mann002

Jan 4, 2020
Can anybody tell me that does a international student also need to do quarantine in hotel as my college is only providing me with the travel support letter and college has organised our stay in the windham garden niagara falls for 14 days ???

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Can anybody tell me that does a international student also need to do quarantine in hotel as my college is only providing me with the travel support letter and college has organised our stay in the windham garden niagara falls for 14 days ???
You should contact your collage about update hotel arrangement. But currently students are NOT exempt from the 3 days government approved hotel stay requirement.