+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New SIN filing (old's sin) taxes!?

Gio1908

Star Member
Jan 28, 2016
Hello everyone,

Today, I became a Permanent Resident.

I had an OWP and unfortunately I didn't file taxes for 2016-2017 with my temporary SIN. I am planning to file them now that I got a permanent SIN. It won't be a problem right? Would I have to pay a big fine for filling taxes late?

Also, I have another question. I have never file taxes before in Canada so because of that I do not have a CRA account. I was told that I need to file taxes at least twice for opening an CRA account online. Is this true? Will I be able to open one after I file those two T4s I have?

I live in Alberta.

If someone knows, please answer.

Thank you

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone,

Today, I became a Permanent Resident.

I had an OWP and unfortunately I didn't file taxes for 2016-2017 with my temporary SIN. I am planning to file them now that I got a permanent SIN. It won't be a problem right? Would I have to pay a big fine for filling taxes late?

Also, I have another question. I have never file taxes before in Canada so because of that I do not have a CRA account. I was told that I need to file taxes at least twice for opening an CRA account online. Is this true? Will I be able to open one after I file those two T4s I have?

I live in Alberta.

If someone knows, please answer.

Thank you
Call CRA.