+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Rule for already approved PR applicants

incomingAbg

Aug 25, 2019
As per CIC, this is the new rule added on July 20:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html#approved

If you’re outside Canada
If you come to Canada, make sure you’re exempt from the travel restrictions. You won’t be allowed to enter Canada right now if you’re travelling for reasons like:
  • tourism
  • recreation
  • entertainment
  • to finalize your permanent residence application but not settle here yet
These are not valid reasons to come to Canada right now.

I have plans to travel in Aug from US and return back after 14 days of quarantine but after seeing this rule I am not sure I'll be able to complete the landing process ?

Has anyone traveled after July 20th ? Can you please share your experience.

Last edited:

dsr236

Jul 24, 2020
Interesting. Out of curiosity, are you flying in or doing a land crossing? If you are flying in, are you planning on returning after the quarantine period?

I have been planning to make the trip sometime during September or October, this change could make things a lot more complicated.

praveen07cse

Star Member
Feb 18, 2019
Interesting. Out of curiosity, are you flying in or doing a land crossing? If you are flying in, are you planning on returning after the quarantine period?

I have been planning to make the trip sometime during September or October, this change could make things a lot more complicated.
I am landing via road and trying to return after landing.
My COPR expires by Oct. I dont want to wait until Sep/Oct as we dont know what might change on both countries.

incomingAbg

Aug 25, 2019
I am landing via road and trying to return after landing.
My COPR expires by Oct. I dont want to wait until Sep/Oct as we dont know what might change on both countries.
I hope you are aware of the below statement:

When you’re ready to travel to Canada
Use the Web form to let us know when, and the reason(s) why. The next steps will depend on your situation.

You can come to Canada and become a permanent resident now if you plan to stay and settle here. If you’re planning on coming temporarily and leaving again, you can’t do that right now unless you meet a different travel exemption.

Essential refers to travel for reasons that are non-discretionary and non-optional such as tourism, recreation or entertainment. Now they have also added "Processing of PR application but not settle here" into this list.

I will send a message through web form and see what IRCC have to say. Please let us know if someone has a recent landing experience.

Last edited:

dsr236

Jul 24, 2020
I hope you are aware of the below statement:

When you’re ready to travel to Canada
Use the Web form to let us know when, and the reason(s) why. The next steps will depend on your situation.

You can come to Canada and become a permanent resident now if you plan to stay and settle here. If you’re planning on coming temporarily and leaving again, you can’t do that right now unless you meet a different travel exemption.

Essential refers to travel for reasons that are non-discretionary and non-optional such as tourism, recreation or entertainment. Now they have also added "Processing of PR application but not settle here" into this list.

I will send a message through web form and see what IRCC have to say. Please let us know if someone has a recent landing experience.
Yes, that is a source of confusion for me as well. The exemption link ( https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html#exempt ) says the following:

All other foreign nationals
To be eligible, you must meet 2 requirements:

But what is essential is not clear. The footnote says:

Essential refers to travel for reasons that are non-discretionary and non-optional. The emergency orders under the Quarantine Act do not allow people to travel to Canada for optional or discretionary reasons, such as for tourism, recreation or entertainment.

However, as you pointed out at this page ( https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html#approved ) it is saying:

If we already approved your permanent resident application
If you’re outside Canada
If you come to Canada, make sure you’re exempt from the travel restrictions. You won’t be allowed to enter Canada right now if you’re travelling for reasons like:

• tourism
  • recreation
  • entertainment
  • to finalize your permanent residence application but not settle here yet
These are not valid reasons to come to Canada right now.

We probably need some actual data points. I'm checking out the links other posters have added above.I just hope it is not something that depends on the discretion of the officer who looks at your stuff.

incomingAbg

Aug 25, 2019
@incomingAbg @dsr236 lot of people have travelled via land and air in the past few weeks and have been successful. I have not seen anyone ending up in issue. all their experiences are in below post:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pr-soft-landing-from-us-after-eo.693114/

There are several ifs and buts regarding travel. We just need to give it a try and get it done!
Check out the last updated for below page: Its July 20, 2020
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html#approved

I don't wanna listen from the CBP officers at the arrival that your travel is non essential hence we cannot process your PR. At this point, you will have to return without getting your PR processed. Things have changed in the past few days but if you want to risk it and take your chance then please go ahead.

The travel experience link which you shared, no one has traveled to Canada after July 20th. Correct me if I am wrong.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Agree that there seems to have been a shift and more questionning at airports since many covid cases are coming into Canada and cases are increasing in Canada. Assume there may be an effort to try and minimize travel in and out of Canada. We'll have to wait and see.

praveen07cse

Star Member
Feb 18, 2019

I don't wanna listen from the CBP officers at the arrival that your travel is non essential hence we cannot process your PR. At this point, you will have to return without getting your PR processed. Things have changed in the past few days but if you want to risk it and take your chance then please go ahead.

The travel experience link which you shared, no one has traveled to Canada after July 20th. Correct me if I am wrong.
The link is getting updated every 10 days and the travel restrictions are in place for long time now.
Yes I agree its a risk. I would take it rather than going back to initial stage.

Moreover, if you are with quarantine plan and entering from US, there are less possibility of them to make you return without PR.
COPR candidates approved before Mar 18 are exempt from travel restriction as well.

Lets hope for the best!

tca_2018

May 30, 2018
USA
NOC Code......

I recently finished my PR landing at Toronto airport. At no point did the CBP officer asked if I was doing temporary landing nor did I volunteer that information. The only problem was when it came to PR card address. The officer asked if I had a permanent address where I would be living for 1 year or more. When I said "no", she didn't give me a chance to clarify further and said that she will not be sending the card to a temporary address or a "friend's" house. She handed me a address change form and told me to fax it or send a webform. I sent the webform out with the address change but haven't got any reply back yet.
Looking at the July 20th update, it seems that going for a soft landing may be a bigger risk. However, everybody's risk appetite is different so this is a very personal decision.
If you have made good arrangements for the 14 day isolation period, they may just slap your hand but let you finish the PR paperwork. I had to go back to the airport customs desk to finish my "goods to follow" stamps (I didn't have my jewellery photos with me the first time) and I witnessed a couple getting interviewed by a Registered Nurse in the same "customs" office. They made the couple call the friends that they were staying with to go over the arrangements. My suggestion to everyone doing the soft landing would be to get a separate townhouse/apartment that has a balcony/patio/yard for fresh air with separate kitchen area and toilet. There is a lot of focus on the isolation requirement than anything else. They did not ask for a single document when they finished my PR paperwork. I was only asked about my 14 day isolation period rental arrangements (No paperwork was asked, just pointed and specific questions). Also, please note that the health department will call you atleast 4 different times to check up. The call will be separate for every family member. We were 4 people (husband/wife + 2 infants) and I must have answered more than 24 freaking calls in first 11 days. It's annoying but a necessary evil.
My $0.02 !

Reactions: praveen07cse

nipsey

Feb 11, 2020

The link does show the most recent update date but does not show 'what' got updated on that day. This update you're referring to came on the morning of 07/10. I travelled from the US after that and know several people who did complete the process. There's no reason for them to deny you PR status if you tell them that you are moving permanently. Once you have a counterfoil, its incumbent on them to award you as a landed resident. You may go back after that as there's no check/stop on your exit. But yeah, you might be stuck in US then for an indefinite time and unable to come back to Canada considering how well we are doing there with regards to COVID.

U-turns always pissed CBSA from day 1, COVID has nothing to do with it. But they still entertained those and they are still getting processed as per people who have posted here (would have to agree that this depends on the officer you encounter)

With all the +VE experiences, taking a risk to land was worth it for me as compared to waiting endlessly and anxiously for the COPR extension, which we all know would involve additional cost and time.

HTH

incomingAbg

Aug 25, 2019
She handed me a address change form and told me to fax it or send a webform. I sent the webform out with the address change but haven't got any reply back yet.
I didn't get this point. What type of address change was she referring to and why did you need to update on webform ?

tca_2018

May 30, 2018
USA
NOC Code......
I didn't get this point. What type of address change was she referring to and why did you need to update on webform ?
I meant the address to send the PR cards. I was asked if I have a permanent address in Canada for the next year. As soon as I told her no, she said that she will not be sending the PR cards to any "friends" apartment/house. She gave me the address change form (used to change address for PR cards) and told me about multiple options to get the card delivered once I get a permanent address.