+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Requirements for International Students - January 1, 2024

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
95% of visas are not diploma mills. Believe 40% of permits are for universities which tend to be mostly genuine students. Colleges are the true issues. The reason the changes were likely made were purely due to housing and not the Liberals and the polls. The levels have also continued to increase but levels were somewhat hidden because students could study from their home country during Covid. In the past year now that students have come to Canada we are feeling the true levels of study permits which has coincided with inflation, higher interest rates, etc. The videos telling people to go to foodbanks to save on your groceries only made the issues even worse and drew a lot more attention to the issue. Many of the issues are actually provincial and due ti licensing of colleges. Many colleges that are degree mills are regulated by provincial goverments so federal government can only do some much. Quebec closed down some colleges at least temporarily a few years ago but places like Ontario have to also shut down many colleges and reverse the private school public school partnership that was only recently allowed. We are only catching up to the same level of POF as Australia and the UK which people in the sector have been calling for for quite a while.
When I run the numbers, good institutes like McGill and others can only accommodate 50k students per year. So, 50k/900k ~ 5%

Most other universities don't appear to be worth $30k/yr in tuition fees, hence my opinion that only 5% acceptances can be a decent student intake.

k1_mvn

Dec 14, 2023
Does anyone know if the waiver of 20 hour off campus work applies to the period before receiving credential completion letter?

I've submitted my masters thesis and I'm waiting for the final grade/credential completion letter so that I can apply for PGWP. I understand I may work part-time before I have confirmation of degree completion and must stop as soon as I have that. I also think with this public policy I can work full time in that period instead of part-time. But what if I don't receive my final grade and letter until after new years? Would I still be considered a full-time student so that I'd be eligible for this policy?

I have read through every relevant source I could find, but didn't find a straight forward answer to this. So I'd appreciate it if anyone has any info, preferably with a source.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Does anyone know if the waiver of 20 hour off campus work applies to the period before receiving credential completion letter?

I've submitted my masters thesis and I'm waiting for the final grade/credential completion letter so that I can apply for PGWP. I understand I may work part-time before I have confirmation of degree completion and must stop as soon as I have that. I also think with this public policy I can work full time in that period instead of part-time. But what if I don't receive my final grade and letter until after new years? Would I still be considered a full-time student so that I'd be eligible for this policy?

I have read through every relevant source I could find, but didn't find a straight forward answer to this. So I'd appreciate it if anyone has any info, preferably with a source.
Not sure if you can continue working after your last day of school, in this case after you submitted your final thesis. It is confusing, but i can only see two possibilities below;

Working after you complete your study program
After you complete your study program, there are 2 ways you may be able to work full-time:
  • you already applied for a work permit before your study permit expired or
  • you’re starting a new study program
You need to meet all the requirements listed below to work full-time. If we refuse your work or study permit application, you must stop working and leave Canada.

k1_mvn

Dec 14, 2023
Not sure if you can continue working after your last day of school, in this case after you submitted your final thesis. It is confusing, but i can only see two possibilities below;

Working after you complete your study program
After you complete your study program, there are 2 ways you may be able to work full-time:
  • you already applied for a work permit before your study permit expired or
  • you’re starting a new study program
You need to meet all the requirements listed below to work full-time. If we refuse your work or study permit application, you must stop working and leave Canada.
Thank you, but that is not entirely correct:

Students who have not applied for a subsequent study or work permit or a program of study
Students may work off campus on a part-time basis if the following applies:
  • they meet the eligibility criteria to work off campus [R186(v)]
  • they have completed the final academic requirements for their program of study but have not yet received written confirmation of program completion from their institution (for instance, a transcript, an official letter or an email)
  • they have not applied for a work permit (for instance, a post-graduation work permit or a work permit with a valid Labour Market Impact Assessment) or a study permit extension or enrolled in a subsequent program of study
They may work until the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion from their educational institution (for instance, an email, a letter, a transcript or a diploma), provided their study permit remains valid during this period...

Based on this it should be ok to work. I'm just wondering if the 20-hour off campus work limit waiver applies to this situation as well or not.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021

Thank you, but that is not entirely correct:

Students who have not applied for a subsequent study or work permit or a program of study
Students may work off campus on a part-time basis if the following applies:
  • they meet the eligibility criteria to work off campus [R186(v)]
  • they have completed the final academic requirements for their program of study but have not yet received written confirmation of program completion from their institution (for instance, a transcript, an official letter or an email)
  • they have not applied for a work permit (for instance, a post-graduation work permit or a work permit with a valid Labour Market Impact Assessment) or a study permit extension or enrolled in a subsequent program of study
They may work until the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion from their educational institution (for instance, an email, a letter, a transcript or a diploma), provided their study permit remains valid during this period...

Based on this it should be ok to work. I'm just wondering if the 20-hour off campus work limit waiver applies to this situation as well or not.
Thank you for additional information. Waiver should apply in your situation. It is important to check daily if completion letter has been issued to avoid falling in any violation

k1_mvn

Dec 14, 2023
Thank you for additional information. Waiver should apply in your situation. It is important to check daily if completion letter has been issued to avoid falling in any violation
Great! Thank you. I'm checking daily and would be applying for PGWP as soon as I have the results.

JNTCM

Dec 18, 2023
Please I want to find out when applying for a study permit extension, if I need to show 20k CAD for living expenses for the first applicant.
Also for a family of 5, how much is advisable to show as proof of funds for study permit extension? Thank you