+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

new PR wants to change temporary SIN into permanent SIN...?

bibace

Star Member
Oct 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-07-2012
AOR Received.
30-10-2012
File Transfer...
aip 08-01-2013
Med's Request
med. checks - passed
Med's Done....
26-06-2012
VISA ISSUED...
09-04-2013
LANDED..........
07-05-2013
Hi,
I was issued OWP couple of months ago while waiting for DM for my inland sponsorship application.
so I was issued a temporary SIN starting with digit 9, so after I got DM and I am a new PR, should I have to change my SIN into a new one starting with digit 5?
because I would not be able to apply for a good job positions with temporary SIN, well my experience showed me that ;D

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
After you officially land as a PR, head into Service Canada with your COPR and ID and apply for your permanent SIN. Give them the temporary SIN number when you are applying and they will link them up.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
After you officially land as a PR, head into Service Canada with your COPR and ID and apply for your permanent SIN. Give them the temporary SIN number when you are applying and they will link them up.
Service Canada had started requiring valid PR Card (COPR not enough) for the SIN change for non visitor visa exempt nationals who got PR inland...may have been a pilot project but something to be aware of.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Msafiri said:
Service Canada had started requiring valid PR Card (COPR not enough) for the SIN change for non visitor visa exempt nationals who got PR inland...may have been a pilot project but something to be aware of.
I wasn't aware there was a difference between inland and outland applicants. So someone on an OWP with a temp SIN who does an inland app has to have the PR card but someone on a work permit with a temp SIN who applies outland can use the COPR. Strange bureaucracy.

bibace

Star Member
Oct 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-07-2012
AOR Received.
30-10-2012
File Transfer...
aip 08-01-2013
Med's Request
med. checks - passed
Med's Done....
26-06-2012
VISA ISSUED...
09-04-2013
LANDED..........
07-05-2013
yes quite strange bureaucracy ...
thank you very much, so that means that I have to apply after landing immediately for a PR card.
;)

NicJohn

Star Member
Sep 20, 2012
Vancouover
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2012
Doc's Request.
12-12-2012
AOR Received.
12-12-2012
Med's Request
Sent with Application
Med's Done....
23-08-2012
LANDED..........
05-11-2013
what happens at tax time for new PR's?

The ones with a Temp SIN who change mid year over to a Perm SIN?

Does Service Canada link them?

NicJohn

Star Member
Sep 20, 2012
Vancouover
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2012
Doc's Request.
12-12-2012
AOR Received.
12-12-2012
Med's Request
Sent with Application
Med's Done....
23-08-2012
LANDED..........
05-11-2013

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
bibace said:
yes quite strange bureaucracy ...
thank you very much, so that means that I have to apply after landing immediately for a PR card.
;)
You don't have to apply for a PR card, the officer that lands you will do it for you.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
I wasn't aware there was a difference between inland and outland applicants. So someone on an OWP with a temp SIN who does an inland app has to have the PR card but someone on a work permit with a temp SIN who applies outland can use the COPR. Strange bureaucracy.
The issue appears to be a flag for those switching to PR inland and their citizenship is such that they require a visitor visa to Canada. I don't get this as once you land it doesn't matter what your visitor visa status is for SIN purposes..but then again BC requires PRs renewing DLs to have a valid PR Card and won't accept COPR...until someone goes to court on this then the Feds/Provinces will keep doing it their way.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Msafiri said:
The issue appears to be a flag for those switching to PR inland and their citizenship is such that they require a visitor visa to Canada. I don't get this as once you land it doesn't matter what your visitor visa status is for SIN purposes..but then again BC requires PRs renewing DLs to have a valid PR Card and won't accept COPR...until someone goes to court on this then the Feds/Provinces will keep doing it their way.
We're in BC and had that issue when we went in to get my partner his learner's. Had his passport and COPR but they turned him away saying he needed the PR card. I contacted the ICBC call centre, who said that was wrong, that he was allowed to take the knowledge test and get his paper learner's with the COPR. So we went back in, spoke with a different person, told them what the call centre had said and they let him take the test and get his paper learner's. But his photo DL is on hold until he shows his PR card to ICBC.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
I think you have it backwards. Instead, applicants who require a visa to visit Canada are able to obtain a new SIN right away because of the "immigrant visa"(counterfoil) in the passport.

Visa-exempt applicants however, were told they had to wait for the PR card before they could do that. This may have changed now because I think 'frenchie' was able to obtain his SIN right away and he is from a visa-exempt country.

Msafiri said:

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SenoritaBella said:
I think you have it backwards. Instead, applicants who require a visa to visit Canada are able to obtain a new SIN right away because of the "immigrant visa"(counterfoil) in the passport.

Visa-exempt applicants however, were told they had to wait for the PR card before they could do that. This may have changed now because I think 'frenchie' was able to obtain his SIN right away and he is from a visa-exempt country.
I think you misunderstand me...I'm refering to inland PR processing...all everyone gets is a COPR and an admission/landing stamp no counterfoils...the PR card arrives later. Non visitor visa exempt nationals seem to need the PR Card when 'upgrading' their SIN to a non 9 prefix. There doesn't seem to be a rational for this so it may be a flag on the IT system that needs a PR card number for the upgrade...then again it may have been a pilot project. Let's wait for the OP to apply for a new SIN..if non visitor visa exempt then we'll hopefully learn his/her experience.