02/02/2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
01/03/2017
Passport Req..
06/06/2017
Hello all,
I read similar topic from pre-ETA periods but couldn't find recent post so I thought to add a new post.
I did my landing at Peace Bridge, Ontario on June 20th and I now have a signed COPR.
At the POE, officer told me that PR card should be ready in 6 to 8 weeks and I have confirmed that the processing time was 56 days, when I checked on June 20th.

Since it has been 56 days, I called CIC to check the status and have been told that I need to provide them with a new picture (with no particular reason, they weren't able to tell me why it was rejected or why i had to send new image). I just resent the photo today, but I have a concern because I have to travel back to Japan in 10 days, due to my mother having a surgery in Japan.

CIC agent told me that I have to get a PRTD once I get back to Japan; however, I am only staying there for 10 days, which will not be a sufficient time for Visa Office in Japan to process this document.

I've done my research and red couple alternatives and wanted to verify if anyone had success/issues:
1) Take a flight back to Canada
Hoping that airline will let you board the plane without the PRTD or PR card, explaining the situation. I am not sure if anyone had a recent success with this since the travel requirement (eTA) change. In addition, even if you were able to board the plane, wouldn't we have issues at Immigrations once I arrive back to Canada, as I dont have a valid travel document (PRTD/PR Card)? Will CoPR suffice if i am a new resident that's waiting for a card and did not have time to apply for PRTD?

or

2) Take a flight to US and drive back in a private vehicle from US side to Canada.
I can technically do this as my flight ticket is to Japan - Detroit - Toronto. But I am not quite sure if I would have any issues with American immigration, as I now have to stay at Detroit airport to have someone from Canada pick me up? I can certainly look into changing my flight ticket but I just dont want to have any issues with American boarders. I have not seen any success story here so I wanted to check this as well...

Please let me know if there is any other alternatives!!
I am really desperate as this is purely to be with my mother who will be having a surgery in Japan by herself :(

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hello all,
I read similar topic from pre-ETA periods but couldn't find recent post so I thought to add a new post.
I did my landing at Peace Bridge, Ontario on June 20th and I now have a signed COPR.
At the POE, officer told me that PR card should be ready in 6 to 8 weeks and I have confirmed that the processing time was 56 days, when I checked on June 20th.

Since it has been 56 days, I called CIC to check the status and have been told that I need to provide them with a new picture (with no particular reason, they weren't able to tell me why it was rejected or why i had to send new image). I just resent the photo today, but I have a concern because I have to travel back to Japan in 10 days, due to my mother having a surgery in Japan.

CIC agent told me that I have to get a PRTD once I get back to Japan; however, I am only staying there for 10 days, which will not be a sufficient time for Visa Office in Japan to process this document.

I've done my research and red couple alternatives and wanted to verify if anyone had success/issues:
1) Take a flight back to Canada
Hoping that airline will let you board the plane without the PRTD or PR card, explaining the situation. I am not sure if anyone had a recent success with this since the travel requirement (eTA) change. In addition, even if you were able to board the plane, wouldn't we have issues at Immigrations once I arrive back to Canada, as I dont have a valid travel document (PRTD/PR Card)? Will CoPR suffice if i am a new resident that's waiting for a card and did not have time to apply for PRTD?

or

2) Take a flight to US and drive back in a private vehicle from US side to Canada.
I can technically do this as my flight ticket is to Japan - Detroit - Toronto. But I am not quite sure if I would have any issues with American immigration, as I now have to stay at Detroit airport to have someone from Canada pick me up? I can certainly look into changing my flight ticket but I just dont want to have any issues with American boarders. I have not seen any success story here so I wanted to check this as well...

Please let me know if there is any other alternatives!!
I am really desperate as this is purely to be with my mother who will be having a surgery in Japan by herself :(
(1) will not work under any circumstances. I have experienced it myself several times. In fact I intentionally tried how far I would get without showing my PR card (and only my visa-exempt passport). You might make it all the way to the gate, but they will not let you board if you have neither an eTA (which you can't obtain as a PR, the system will refuse you) or a PR card. When they scan your passport there will be a red "do not board" message (I saw it myself) which the staff can only override by entering the details of your PR card. I experienced this four times since the introduction of the eTA.

This also leaves the question pointless what would happen once you arrive at YYZ airport. You will not make it on the plane without a PR card or a PRTD.

(2) You might in fact already face problems when checkin in for a flight from Tokyo to Detroit to Toronto. Again my own experience: I have an EU passport and had a ticket Zurich-London-Toronto. The checkin agent required my PR card when checking me in in Zurich although the destination of my first flight was London (and as a EU citizen I - at least for now *coughcough* - have the right to residency in the UK). It depends on the checkin agent and the airline used if they already ask for your PR card before the first flight. I would therefore recommend that you rebook your flight so that Detroit is the final destination. When you enter the US in Detroit simply tell them that you are traveling onward to Canada on the road. If they want to see more paperwork, show them the CoPR. I would be very surprised if they make a fuss about that. Unlike the US land border agents, the US border control at the airport was always barely bothered to ask me any questions when entering via flight on a visa waiver passport.

There also is a practical issue if you don't cancel the Detroit-Toronto flight leg: It might be very hard to convince the checkin agent in Tokyo that they only tag your checked luggage do DTW and not all the way to YYZ because according to their terms of service you are usually required to fly your whole booking (so that customers don't try to save money by booking an indirect flight to YYZ but use it as a direct flight to DTW)

As for crossing the land border: As long as you travel in a private vehicle, e.g. your friend picking you up or a rental car (there is one way car rentals from the US to Canada, fyi) or a taxi, you will have no issue crossing the Canadian border. They will scan your passport and see that you recently became a PR and they should let you in no problem. I haven't experienced this myself but read these stories before in the forum.

Also, random thought: Why not change your flight to Tokyo-Detroit-Buffalo, at least Buffalo is much closer to Toronto than Detroit. Depends on the flight prices of course.

Most of all, best of luck to your mum for the surgery!

Last edited:

snowface0214

Nov 21, 2016
toronto
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
02/02/2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
01/03/2017
Passport Req..
06/06/2017
(1) will not work under any circumstances. I have experienced it myself several times. In fact I intentionally tried how far I would get without showing my PR card (and only my visa-exempt passport). You might make it all the way to the gate, but they will not let you board if you have neither an eTA (which you can't obtain as a PR, the system will refuse you) or a PR card. When they scan your passport there will be a red "do not board" message (I saw it myself) which the staff can only override by entering the details of your PR card. I experienced this four times since the introduction of the eTA.

This also leaves the question pointless what would happen once you arrive at YYZ airport. You will not make it on the plane without a PR card or a PRTD.

(2) You might in fact already face problems when checkin in for a flight from Tokyo to Detroit to Toronto. Again my own experience: I have an EU passport and had a ticket Zurich-London-Toronto. The checkin agent required my PR card when checking me in in Zurich although the destination of my first flight was London (and as a EU citizen I - at least for now *coughcough* - have the right to residency in the UK). It depends on the checkin agent and the airline used if they already ask for your PR card before the first flight. I would therefore recommend that you rebook your flight so that Detroit is the final destination. When you enter the US in Detroit simply tell them that you are traveling onward to Canada on the road. If they want to see more paperwork, show them the CoPR. I would be very surprised if they make a fuss about that. Unlike the US land border agents, the US border control at the airport was always barely bothered to ask me any questions when entering via flight on a visa waiver passport.

There also is a practical issue if you don't cancel the Detroit-Toronto flight leg: It might be very hard to convince the checkin agent in Tokyo that they only tag your checked luggage do DTW and not all the way to YYZ because according to their terms of service you are usually required to fly your whole booking (so that customers don't try to save money by booking an indirect flight to YYZ but use it as a direct flight to DTW)

As for crossing the land border: As long as you travel in a private vehicle, e.g. your friend picking you up or a rental car (there is one way car rentals from the US to Canada, fyi) or a taxi, you will have no issue crossing the Canadian border. They will scan your passport and see that you recently became a PR and they should let you in no problem. I haven't experienced this myself but read these stories before in the forum.

Also, random thought: Why not change your flight to Tokyo-Detroit-Buffalo, at least Buffalo is much closer to Toronto than Detroit. Depends on the flight prices of course.

Most of all, best of luck to your mum for the surgery!

Thank you so much.. I have contacted the airline and they said the same thing re: boarding from Japan to Detroit.
Seems like PRTD is the only hope for me - I will check with Visa Office.
Jus curious - what did you end up doing?

cedros123

Star Member
Mar 23, 2017
Try to apply in person if you can in Tokyo.
I received my PRTD the same day when I applied in person in Paris ....

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Thank you so much.. I have contacted the airline and they said the same thing re: boarding from Japan to Detroit.
I wasn't in the situation yet since I didn't travel in the first four months of being a PR. I had my PR card on my but I checked how far I would get in the airport without my PR card. I never got all the way through, so in the end I produced my PR card once I didn't get any further. The furthest I ever got was all the way through security to the gate, but then I needed it.
My exact goal was to "empirically determine" how serious they take the PR card thing. The result of my experiments is: very serious :)

Reactions: little star

snowface0214

Nov 21, 2016
toronto
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
02/02/2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
01/03/2017
Passport Req..
06/06/2017
Try to apply in person if you can in Tokyo.
I received my PRTD the same day when I applied in person in Paris ....
I wish this was an option but there is no Canadian Embassy in Japan. Everything is processed in Manila, and I have been advised that the process will take from 10 days to 1 months.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I am curious: What is so bad about taking a rental car from Detroit (or Buffalo) to cross the border? I guess rebooking your flight will cost money and the rental car will cost money too. But at least you have a guaranteed way back and are not stuck in Japan (assuming you have to get back to work in Toronto, not that "being stuck in Japan" is in itself that bad).

snowface0214

Nov 21, 2016
toronto
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
02/02/2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
01/03/2017
Passport Req..
06/06/2017
I am curious: What is so bad about taking a rental car from Detroit (or Buffalo) to cross the border? I guess rebooking your flight will cost money and the rental car will cost money too. But at least you have a guaranteed way back and are not stuck in Japan (assuming you have to get back to work in Toronto, not that "being stuck in Japan" is in itself that bad).
I was just considering different alternatives but I think that will probably be the route i will take. It was hoping that i didnt have to book another flight (as it's quite pricey to fly from Japan to Toronto) but seems like an only "promised" option. Thanks again for all your help!

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I was just considering different alternatives but I think that will probably be the route i will take. It was hoping that i didnt have to book another flight (as it's quite pricey to fly from Japan to Toronto) but seems like an only "promised" option. Thanks again for all your help!
No worries. And safe travels!

wyzdr

Star Member
Jul 5, 2017
No worries. And safe travels!
Hi Spyfy,

I recently plan my first landing , it might be a short one. I also have this PR card issue, for people with no close friend or relatives in Canada, are there any long-proved reliable way to get a local address to have the card received and forwarded to my home country?

Thank you very much!

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hi Spyfy,

I recently plan my first landing , it might be a short one. I also have this PR card issue, for people with no close friend or relatives in Canada, are there any long-proved reliable way to get a local address to have the card received and forwarded to my home country?

Thank you very much!
Hi wyzdr, I have no experience with this myself, but if you go to the "Settlement Issues" Forum and do a search, there are many people who had the same issue to deal with.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Spyfy,

Thank you very much!
Some posters mentioned getting a postal box from UPS and use that address to receive your PR card. UPS will then forward your mail to your home country.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From Detroit, couldn't you walk across the river (land border) to Windsor, ON and then catch a bus to Toronto?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Unlike the US land border agents, the US border control at the airport was always barely bothered to ask me any questions when entering via flight on a visa waiver passport.
Unlike the land border, you were probably given a form by the air hostess to complete upon arrival at the US border control at the airport. Recently, I flew and had a day trip so in the form I did not write any US address I would be staying and the border control lady kept on asking me questions until she stamped on my Canadian passport.

crewbunk

Star Member
May 6, 2014
may I know how can I rent and pick up a Canadian license plate car in USA (Detroit or Buffalo)? Which car rental company offer that?

Besides, I would like to ask one thing. My PR application is attached to a non-visa exempted passport and I have already short land with that but leave Canada without receiving my PR card yet. I do have another visa-exempted passport from another country myself. Can I use that passport to apply a ETA and use that to get into Canada by plane?

my wife and my child have applied ETA before landing using their visa exempted passport. Can they present that ETA and passport to get into Canada now even without PR card? Thanks.