+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New PR card

Jerry1410

Star Member
May 17, 2015
If you intend to continue to live in Canada, you do not need a PR Card. If you are a new comer you can do everything with your landed document and passport.

But if you want to travel and go out then you have to apply for PRTD at a Canadian Embassy to come back.
But if you are working abroad, you may be asked to cancel your employment/residence visa and given them the passport to give you the PRTD to return to Canada.

shanchu

Jan 17, 2013
Hi All,

Anyone who landed in April 2005 has already received their initial PR card? Thank you very much!

adacheung

Jul 6, 2015
shanchu said:
Dear All,

I am a new immigrant landing on May 18 and my PR card is applied upon landing. However until today, I still cannot receive it. Does anyone know how I can check my status and is it normal that the processing time is almost 2 months now? Thank you very much!

I am also a new immigrant landing on May 19, and my PR card is still not yet arrived. What can I do as I need to go to HK to visit my mother from August 11 to August 27? Can I enter Canada without the PR card?

Jerry1410

Star Member
May 17, 2015
You can travel. If the PR Card comes to your Canadian address, somebody will have to bring it to you.
If you do not have anybody to bring it to you then you need to apply for PRTD at the Canadian Embassy and you will get it since you are a new immigrant.
OK bye

adacheung

Jul 6, 2015
How long to process the PRTD, it seems takes 4 weeks to process in HK, however, I just stay there for 2 weeks, what can I do?

adacheung

Jul 6, 2015
Can I enter Canada if I do not have the PR card and PRTD because I have the visa-exempt passport? Anyone can help? Anyone get the PR card who landed in May?

Jerry1410

Star Member
May 17, 2015
If you have visa exempt passport you can enter Canada, but do not say anything to the airline that you are a PR etc.
Just say you are going as a tourist
On arrival in Canada at the Immigration counter you should tell them that you are a new PR and you did not receive your PR card before leaving for some urgency.

adacheung

Jul 6, 2015
Thank you Jerry. Do you or anyone have the experience doing like that before? I don't know why the CIC website mentions that those PR must travel with PR card. Is it work if I enter Canada without a PR card? Will the immigration officer challenge me and have problem with my PR status. It also states on the CIC website that those without PR card to travel that means who announce to give up the PR status voluntarily, is it true? Your advice is appreciated.

shanchu

Jan 17, 2013
Dear all,

If I want to ask for the status of my pr card, besides calling (within Canada only), does anyone know if I can email them and ask? Please help. Thank you very much!

Loom

Star Member
Oct 17, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
adacheung said:
Thank you Jerry. Do you or anyone have the experience doing like that before? I don't know why the CIC website mentions that those PR must travel with PR card. Is it work if I enter Canada without a PR card? Will the immigration officer challenge me and have problem with my PR status. It also states on the CIC website that those without PR card to travel that means who announce to give up the PR status voluntarily, is it true? Your advice is appreciated.
Hi there,

If I were you, I would go and ask a lawyer, you dont want to take such a risk,

Loom

base7

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I landed on April 4th week. Still didn't get the PR card. Is it necessary to get the address updated in ECAS to the canadian address ? It still shows the same old, but status says completed.

shanchu

Jan 17, 2013
base7 said:
I landed on April 4th week. Still didn't get the PR card. Is it necessary to get the address updated in ECAS to the canadian address ? It still shows the same old, but status says completed.
As long as you give your Canadian address upon landing, the Canadian address will be updated on ECAS automatically.

micki

Star Member
Aug 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shanchu said:
As long as you give your Canadian address upon landing, the Canadian address will be updated on ECAS automatically.
That was not true in my case

SKguy

Feb 10, 2015
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hello all, i landed two weeks ago. So i believe i have long ways to go 8)

However let's keep this thread alive to discuss any issues arising and know when people are getting their PR cards

Loom

Star Member
Oct 17, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
micki said:
That was not true in my case
It means there is a chance that the officer havent uploaded your address. It happens. My advice is to contact CIC by phone and tell them that you want to check whether they have your address in their system.