waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but here goes:

I am a PR (since 2017), got married in Ontario, to a Canadian. I am a Polish citizen. Ontario gives the option to assume the name of my husband after we get our marriage certificate (I need to present it and then get new driving license and health card) - that's what I want to do.

I also want to register the marriage back in Poland which, once I do, obliges me to change my name there and get a new passport issued in that name. I am assuming that I need to change my name also on my PR card to match the new passport, right? Or can I travel with my new passport, old passport, old PR card and a document confirming my name change in Poland?

I've read instructions on the immigration website but a few things are unclear to me. Since I won't be legally changing my name in Ontario (as that is a different process from assuming my husband's name) but I will be changing it in Poland, can I assume that I will be following the guidelines given on the immigration website for ppl who changed their name outside of Canada? The instructions are a bit vague as to whether I need to submit documents such as a marriage certificate issued by a Canadian institution that show my name after the change (which I won't be able to do since I won't be changing my name legally (the only way certificates can be issued under changed names), but assuming it and using and living under it and have my IDs changed to reflect that) or only those that pertain to my change of name in Poland.

Also, it seems that the application form does not include the option to state I am applying for a new PR after name change (just renewal or replace a lost or stolen card)?

And finally - does anyone know what is the wait time for a new card?

devnill

Dec 5, 2015
You should be able to use your new Polish passport + marriage cert to get a new PR card. Basically IRCC want to see the basis on which you were able to change your name. I don't think it's mandatory to do this, however it probably will save hassle at the airport when traveling (my wife used her old PR card + new passport + marriage cert to travel).

The form is the same for all PR card applications, just fill in A4 and A5 with your old/new name and check the box for renewal.

Lady_Ashka

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-10-2016
AOR Received.
03-11-2016, AOR2 24-11-2016
File Transfer...
15-11-2016
Med's Done....
upfront (03-06-2016)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Ok so you're saying I should go with the 'if you changed your name outside of Canada' and send card renewal documents accordingly? Meaning, my new passport, marriage certificate (which, however, will only State my maiden name as Ontario marriage certificates don't include a space for name change after marriage) and maybe a letter from the Polish consulate confirming that I changed my name ?

I might actually just change my name in Ontario first (ie get new IDs after assuming my husband's name), then travel (because of the processing times to get a new passport and then to get a renewed pr card I for sure won't be able to travel in may like I am planning...) and only then change my passport + PR card (in Poland I can wait with registering our marriage so theoretically I can have a different name here and different over there).

Also, can I assume that for citizenship purposes it is a current valid passport that decides under which name I will be applying for citizenship? What I mean is, if I did not update my name on my PR card it would not count as misrepresentation or anything?

devnill

Dec 5, 2015
Ok so you're saying I should go with the 'if you changed your name outside of Canada' and send card renewal documents accordingly? Meaning, my new passport, marriage certificate (which, however, will only State my maiden name as Ontario marriage certificates don't include a space for name change after marriage) and maybe a letter from the Polish consulate confirming that I changed my name ?
Yes that's what I'm saying. My wife did the same and there was no issue. You probably don't even need a letter from the Polish consulate but you can include a letter of explanation stating how marriage name changes work in Poland. No problems about marriage certificate only having maiden name.

Lady_Ashka

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-10-2016
AOR Received.
03-11-2016, AOR2 24-11-2016
File Transfer...
15-11-2016
Med's Done....
upfront (03-06-2016)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Thanks! I appreciate your help:)

shelleymay

Mar 11, 2018
Hi guys,

I need some clarification regarding changing name after marriage. I am a Filipino.
I became permanent resident of Canada on January 2017 and got married in the Philippines May 2017. Now that my husband is here with me i would like to use his surname. My name when i was single is

First Name: Shelley
Middle Name: Soriano
Surname: Diaz

MARRIED NAME:
Middle Name: Diaz
Surname: Pascua (husband's Surname)

Would this be a problem in renewing my PR card?
When I applied for PR when i was single since there is no space for putting middle name i put my
GIVEN NAME as: SHELLEY SORIANO and
SURNAME as: DIAZ

Now that i m married and will be renewing my PR (i will renew my passport first which my new name will be SHELLEY DIAZ PASCUA as this is how changing name after marriage works in Philippines, you drop your middle name and your surname when you're single becomes your middle name)
Is it right that I fill up on my forms for PR renewal?
GIVEN NAME: SHELLEY DIAZ and
SURNAME: PASCUA (husband's last name)

Or do i need to do the LEGAL NAME CHANGE before renewing my PR card? as i know here in Canada when assuming the husband's surname, it only changes the surname not the middle name as it does in the Philippines.

Thank you guys. I just really needed help on this to avoid confusion on my documents.

:) THANK YOU SO MUCH!

eolofernes

Jul 23, 2019
Hi guys,

I need some clarification regarding changing name after marriage. I am a Filipino.
I became permanent resident of Canada on January 2017 and got married in the Philippines May 2017. Now that my husband is here with me i would like to use his surname. My name when i was single is

MARRIED NAME:

When I applied for PR when i was single since there is no space for putting middle name i put my

Now that i m married and will be renewing my PR (i will renew my passport first which my new name will be SHELLEY DIAZ PASCUA as this is how changing name after marriage works in Philippines, you drop your middle name and your surname when you're single becomes your middle name)

Or do i need to do the LEGAL NAME CHANGE before renewing my PR card? as i know here in Canada when assuming the husband's surname, it only changes the surname not the middle name as it does in the Philippines.

Thank you guys. I just really needed help on this to avoid confusion on my documents.

@shelleymay Hi, I am in the same situation right now. I just wanted to know how did you proceed with your PR card renewal. Thank you!

eolofernes

Jul 23, 2019
@shelleymay Hi, I am in the same situation right now. I just wanted to know how did you proceed with your PR card renewal. Thank you!
Hi! I wanted to know if you were able to renew your PR card successfully on your married name. I am on the same situation right now. Is legal name change the only option to match name in PH passport? Thanks!

bunnienie88

Nov 5, 2018
Hi! I wanted to know if you were able to renew your PR card successfully on your married name. I am on the same situation right now. Is legal name change the only option to match name in PH passport? Thanks!
Hi Eolo. I am in the same boat as well. I have my phil passport reflecting Canadian husband's surname (Lee) as new surname and surname when i was single (Cruz) is now the middle name.

I need to renew my old pr card with sample details below:
Surname: Cruz
Given name: Felicia Mabatad

All of my Canada government id's are based from my PR card.

What did you put in the "given name" on your form? Did you follow your phil passport or you made it same as your old PR Card given name?

I am so confused which one to follow. If I made it consistent with my phil passport, ircc might refuse it coz they only honor change of legal surnam . Let me know please. Thank you!

bunnienie88

Nov 5, 2018
Hi guys,

MARRIED NAME:

Hi po. I am in the same boat as well. I have my phil passport reflecting Canadian husband's surname (Lee) as new surname and surname when i was single (Cruz) is now the middle name.

I need to renew my old pr card with sample details below:
Surname: Cruz
Given name: Felicia Mabatad

All of my Canada government id's are based from my PR card.

What did you put in the "given name" on your form? Did you follow your phil passport or you made it same as your old PR Card given name?

I am so confused which one to follow. If I made it consistent with my phil passport, ircc might refuse it coz they only honor change of legal surnam . Let us know please. Thank you!

hk14

Jan 6, 2021
Hi everyone,

I see this was a few years ago, did anyone have success in getting a new PR card with a foreign passport + maiden name marriage certificate? I am trying to get this done for myself now and seeing contradictory information everywhere.

Thanks

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi everyone,

I see this was a few years ago, did anyone have success in getting a new PR card with a foreign passport + maiden name marriage certificate? I am trying to get this done for myself now and seeing contradictory information everywhere.

Thanks
This link may not be directly related but it does show what kind of document is needed if you want to get a PR card with a different name on your IMM 1000.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html

Legal Change of Name
Read the information below to see which supporting documents you need:
If your present name is different from the name printed on your Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688), you must submit:
  • supporting legal documents as proof of your name change, and
  • supporting identity documents as requested in section 2 of Step 1.
Submit any of these documents issued by a civil authority in a province or territory of Canada:
  • a copy of a legal change of name document, court order, adoption order, or
  • one of the following documents (unless you were married in Quebec on or after April 2, 1981 and are now a resident of this province). The document must show your new name:
    • a marriage certificate;
    • divorce decree;
    • registration;
    • declaration of union;
    • revocation of declaration or annulment of union.
If you are a permanent resident and changed your name outside of Canada, submit:
  • a foreign passport or other national authoritative document that shows your new name; and
  • an official document linking the old and new names.
If your name change was already approved in a past PR Card application, include a photocopy of your last PR Card.
Important information: If you have had a legal name change, you must include a copy of your Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688) with this application.