+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New pathway to permanent residency international graduate question

mikeymyke

Apr 24, 2021
I have a question. do you know exactly which documents we need, Are there any specific forms we need to fill in.?
I have my transcript and post-graduate work permit, what else I need? I work full-time too, do I need a letter of employment (I'm not an essential worker)?

Thanks a lot in advance
You'll most definitely need a medical exam, and possibly a police certificate from your home country, as these are usually what are required in other PR streams. I've already got the medical exam done today and arranging to have the police certificates completed back in my home country. Luckily the govt has indicated that electronic copies of the documents are acceptable due to COVID. The only thing we don't know is whether they'll ask for medical later on or right away, but might as well get it ASAP to cover your bases (and also you do eventually need a medical later regardless)

Renadxb

Jun 24, 2018
You'll most definitely need a medical exam, and possibly a police certificate from your home country, as these are usually what are required in other PR streams. I've already got the medical exam done today and arranging to have the police certificates completed back in my home country. Luckily the govt has indicated that electronic copies of the documents are acceptable due to COVID. The only thing we don't know is whether they'll ask for medical later on or right away, but might as well get it ASAP to cover your bases (and also you do eventually need a medical later regardless)
Can we do an upfront medical also I hadn’t done my biometrics for my pgwp as it was exempted due to COVID though I had paid for it while filling the pgwp application and received an notification to have it done but couldn’t do so due to COVID and my pgwp application was processed though haven’t got the refund as yet therefore can I also do my biometrics or have to wait until again asked

mikeymyke

Apr 24, 2021
Can we do an upfront medical also I hadn’t done my biometrics for my pgwp as it was exempted due to COVID though I had paid for it while filling the pgwp application and received an notification to have it done but couldn’t do so due to COVID and my pgwp application was processed though haven’t got the refund as yet therefore can I also do my biometrics or have to wait until again asked

Yes you can do the upfront. The clinic I called up even knew about the pathway PR stream, and said I can just ask to do based on that. As for the biometrics, couldn't you just use the biometrics you got when you first came to Canada? As long as they were taken 10 years before May 6, 2021, then it should be good.

Renadxb

Jun 24, 2018
Yes you can do the upfront. The clinic I called up even knew about the pathway PR stream, and said I can just ask to do based on that. As for the biometrics, couldn't you just use the biometrics you got when you first came to Canada? As long as they were taken 10 years before May 6, 2021, then it should be good.
I didn’t have to give the biometrics when I came to Canada on a student visa 2 years back as at that time it was not a requirement for the country where I was residing.

Frisk

Feb 19, 2016
Toronto
I didn’t have to give the biometrics when I came to Canada on a student visa 2 years back as at that time it was not a requirement for the country where I was residing.
Same situation, I came to Canada 4 years ago and biometrics weren't required for my country. I wish we could do them upfront.

mikeymyke

Apr 24, 2021
I doubt these things will be asked upfront?
I don't think the biometrics will be asked upfront as I believe those you usually have to wait for a form or request by them to do it. As for the other stuff, we have the ability to get them upfront and they're going to be required anyway, so it doesn't hurt to do them early.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
I am unsure about medicals. We never had to do them before, and they always said that they would ask us if they needed to do medicals. Perhaps it's different for PR, but maybe it also depends on your country of origin.

mikeymyke

Apr 24, 2021
I am unsure about medicals. We never had to do them before, and they always said that they would ask us if they needed to do medicals. Perhaps it's different for PR, but maybe it also depends on your country of origin.
Almost every PR stream that I know of ask for a medical at some point, since the government does not wish to pay someone's extensive medical treatment if they have severe health issues. It doesn't matter for other streams because the applicant is responsible for their own health care costs, whether through insurance proof or proof of funds.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Oh, by all means, yes. I know we will need to do a medical. I am just not sure that it would be required at the start of the process.

Renadxb

Jun 24, 2018
Even I didn’t have to do medical for my student visa but I think for PR one has to do it

bootes

Star Member
Apr 22, 2021
Oh, by all means, yes. I know we will need to do a medical. I am just not sure that it would be required at the start of the process.
If that CIC News FAQ is correct, they might only ask for one if you've never submitted a medical exam before

Frisk

Feb 19, 2016
Toronto
If that CIC News FAQ is correct, they might only ask for one if you've never submitted a medical exam before
What if we’ve done an upfront medical exam but we haven’t submitted it? Like people planning to apply for EE when the streams were announced? Technically I have a medical exam, but IRCC doesn’t know.

bootes

Star Member
Apr 22, 2021
What if we’ve done an upfront medical exam but we haven’t submitted it? Like people planning to apply for EE when the streams were announced? Technically I have a medical exam, but IRCC doesn’t know.
Quoted from the article:

Are medicals required upfront with the application system?
IRCC is currently trying to extend medicals as much as possible during COVID-19 for those in Canada.

For this group, they will be dividing people into two groups: people who have never done medical and people who have done medical. Those who have done medical should provide proof. It is not yet known how old the medical can be. If you can access an Upfront Medical, you may wish to do so nonetheless.

So if this is true, they may take old results (like from when you first got your study visa) but they haven't mentioned if they'll take ones from 2 or 3 years ago or even older. But if you have an upfront medical now, its even better and you can be sure it's valid.

ahm756

Mar 24, 2020
Toronto
I should go to one of the physicians mentioned in this list to get a medical exam: https://secure.cic.gc.ca/pp-md/pp-list.aspx? Do they ask for my application number or something or I just tell them I need it for PR?