+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

new passport

PRS

Apr 3, 2006
I am an American citizen and I just recently sent in an application under the family class (spouse) for immigration. I sent the forms in on Sept 5. I had my last name changed when my husband and I got married in August. I just recently received my new passport with my name changed on it, but I applied with my previous last name and previous passport. I know that there are directions on the CIC website about what to do for a name change, but I was wondering if the different passport number would cause complications. I plan on sending the forms for a name change and sending a copy of the new passport.

My husband and I are also having another wedding reception for my friends and family here in the US. Should I send in any photos of this as additional proof, or should I just send in my new name and passport?

Thanks in advance.

PRS

Apr 3, 2006
I realize now that there is no form to fill out for a name change, only for an address change. Do I send the copy of my new passport to Mississauga since my application is still there? I did warn them in my application that I would be changing my name on my passport and that I would be sending it in when I received it. Please give me some advice. Thanks in advance.

Do you think the new passport and new passport number are going to cause complications in the process?

Gdaymate

Star Member
Sep 26, 2007
PRS

Given the vast numbers of people applying under the spouse category I'm sure this happens all the time so I wouldn't worry about it too much. You've already told CIC it's coming so just go ahead and send a copy of the new passport as soon as you can. If you don't have a file number/client ID yet just be sure to include lots of identifying information with it so they can match it to the rest of your file.

As for the additional photos it's up to you. If you are satisfied that your application was complete when you first sent it in then there's probably no need but if it makes you feel better, go ahead and send them.

wee

Oct 3, 2007
PRS said:
I am an American citizen and I just recently sent in an application under the family class (spouse) for immigration. I sent the forms in on Sept 5. I had my last name changed when my husband and I got married in August. I just recently received my new passport with my name changed on it, but I applied with my previous last name and previous passport. I know that there are directions on the CIC website about what to do for a name change, but I was wondering if the different passport number would cause complications. I plan on sending the forms for a name change and sending a copy of the new passport.

My husband and I are also having another wedding reception for my friends and family here in the US. Should I send in any photos of this as additional proof, or should I just send in my new name and passport?

Thanks in advance.
PRS,
congrats on your wedding! think the CHC office should be used to this kind of name change; anyway it's good ypu do as notified on their webpage. The idea of sending in photos too would not be bad, as the will provide addittional supporting evidence- u can do this;there is no harm.
all the best