+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Passport with COPR having details of old passport

tirthankarg

May 21, 2019
Dear Friends,

I am planning to do my first landing with family in Canada on 9th June. The IMMIGRANT visa on our passports are expiring on 21st June. But my daughter's passport is expiring in August which means her passport has less than 6 months validity. Although the airlines and the Canadian High Commission confirmed over email that they have no problems letting her travel on 9th June, the Indian immigration has a rule that they wont allow travel unless the passport is valid for at least 6 months

I am therefore getting her passport renewed on an urgent basis and I expect to have the passport in hand next week. I am however getting mixed views on this subject:

1) Feedback 1 - I can travel with both old and new passport, where the new passport will have a reference of the old passport. Since the visa is valid on the old passport, I don't need to get the visa and COPR renewed in the new passport. This is as per the rule mentioned in section 13.15 of the document "ENF 4 Port of Entry Examinations" (https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf04-eng.pdf). I also saw in CANADAVISA forums that people have called CIC helpline and they have confirmed that it is fine to travel with both old and new passport without updating the visa and COPR, as the 2 passports are linked

2) Feedback 2 - I need to resubmit the old and new passport in the Canadian High Commission in New Delhi through VFS to get the visa and COPR updated with the new passport number

Considering that I am traveling on 9th June, I have very limited time left to go for FEEDBACK 2 and would go with FEEDBACK 1. Since there are lot of experts in this forum, I would like to know your views in relation to this and whether it is OK to take the route of FEEDBACK 1

Your kind and prompt response would mean a lot to me and my family

Thanks & Regards,

tirthankarg

May 21, 2019
Travel with both passports. The new one and the old one.

This happens all the time and is not an issue.
Thanks K.H.P. for your prompt response. I understand that my IMMIGRANT visa on the old passport is not an issue. My main concern is the COPR document. So as per your kind suggestion and considering the fact that there are no other bio-data changes between the new and the old passport (other than the passport number), there is no problem if I don't update the COPR with the new passport number. I hope this is correct. Please confirm kindly

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Thanks K.H.P. for your prompt response. I understand that my IMMIGRANT visa on the old passport is not an issue. My main concern is the COPR document. So as per your kind suggestion and considering the fact that there are no other bio-data changes between the new and the old passport (other than the passport number), there is no problem if I don't update the COPR with the new passport number. I hope this is correct. Please confirm kindly
It should be fine, as far as I know, provided you have the old passport with you.

You may wish to submit a webform question to verify, or call IRCC.

rasutu

Jul 3, 2019
Hi tirthankarg
I am facing the same issue as I have few pages left in passport and may be left with no blank pages before I travel to Canada due to some upcoming business trips. Were you able to travel on Jun 9th with the COPR issued on old passport number? Would highly appreciate your reply.

tirthankarg

May 21, 2019
Hi tirthankarg
I am facing the same issue as I have few pages left in passport and may be left with no blank pages before I travel to Canada due to some upcoming business trips. Were you able to travel on Jun 9th with the COPR issued on old passport number? Would highly appreciate your reply.
I renewed the passport through tatkaal and then attached the new passport to the old passport which had the IMMIGRANT visa. I was able to travel with no problems

Reactions: ntkotian