+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New passport from consulate, eTA and Visitor Extension

Feb 2, 2018
Hello,

I have a few questions regarding eTA and a Visitor Extension Permit.

I just came to Canada again on January 8 after visiting family for Christmas (in Denmark). Before I left for Denmark I ordered a new passport from the Danish Consulate in Toronto and they also extended my old passport (which held the eTA) by a year.

When I came on January 8 they only gave me a month because of a misunderstanding between me and the immigration officer. I now have to apply for a Visitor Extension Permit, which is fine as I have done it before. My question is, should I apply for an eTA for the new passport even though I'm in Canada already? Should I do this before or after I apply for the extension?

I am going to marry my girlfriend within the next few months (waiting for her divorce to go through), and then we're going to apply for Spousal Sponsorship. Does anybody know if they will grant me more than a year on the Visitor Extension? Does anybody have any advice regarding my situation?

This is my first post on the forum, I hope I'm following the rules.

Thanks in advance.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hello,

I have a few questions regarding eTA and a Visitor Extension Permit.

I just came to Canada again on January 8 after visiting family for Christmas (in Denmark). Before I left for Denmark I ordered a new passport from the Danish Consulate in Toronto and they also extended my old passport (which held the eTA) by a year.

When I came on January 8 they only gave me a month because of a misunderstanding between me and the immigration officer. I now have to apply for a Visitor Extension Permit, which is fine as I have done it before. My question is, should I apply for an eTA for the new passport even though I'm in Canada already? Should I do this before or after I apply for the extension?

I am going to marry my girlfriend within the next few months (waiting for her divorce to go through), and then we're going to apply for Spousal Sponsorship. Does anybody know if they will grant me more than a year on the Visitor Extension? Does anybody have any advice regarding my situation?

This is my first post on the forum, I hope I'm following the rules.

Thanks in advance.
You only need an eTA if you're outside of Canada and plan on entering Canada on your new passport. It's irrelevant right now to your wish to stay longer, which yes, requires a visitor extension application.

But I guess your concern is how it affects your extension application, so...what's $7 and a few minutes of your time?

Feb 2, 2018
You only need an eTA if you're outside of Canada and plan on entering Canada on your new passport. It's irrelevant right now to your wish to stay longer, which yes, requires a visitor extension application.

But I guess your concern is how it affects your extension application, so...what's $7 and a few minutes of your time?
You're right. That is sort of what I concluded, but yeah, my main concern is the application. I will apply for it now.

I am going to fill out the extension application with my new passport info and the number on the temporary resident paper they stuck to my old passport in the airport - would you say this is right?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You're right. That is sort of what I concluded, but yeah, my main concern is the application. I will apply for it now.

I am going to fill out the extension application with my new passport info and the number on the temporary resident paper they stuck to my old passport in the airport - would you say this is right?
Yes, correct. Be sure to state in the extension app that you will soon be marrying your partner and applying for sponsorship.

Feb 2, 2018
I realize it's late for me to update, I'm sorry, but I just wanted to thank you for your help.
I now have a new visitor's visa valid till September!