+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Passport (due to name split) after OINP nomination and ITA

mejaz

Dec 9, 2016
Toronto, ON
Passport Req..
10-04-2018
For many people in south India, passports are issued with complete name in the 'Given Name' section, leaving the 'Surname' section blank. This is the case with my spouse's passport.
I was recently made aware that such a naming structure can cause a lot of trouble once you move to Canada. My situation is that I have already filled out the Express Entry form with spouse name as given in the passport leaving surname blank. But now I feel I should get her name split at the earliest. I have already applied for OINP and hoping to get a nomination soon. Also ITA should come right behind that.
Should I risk having to explain the whole thing and change her documents now?

amitraj275

May 18, 2018
For many people in south India, passports are issued with complete name in the 'Given Name' section, leaving the 'Surname' section blank. This is the case with my spouse's passport.
I was recently made aware that such a naming structure can cause a lot of trouble once you move to Canada. My situation is that I have already filled out the Express Entry form with spouse name as given in the passport leaving surname blank. But now I feel I should get her name split at the earliest. I have already applied for OINP and hoping to get a nomination soon. Also ITA should come right behind that.
I am also facing similar issue.. My old passport had NO Surname (Blank) & Family Name had FULL NAME 'Kamal Sharma'. Recently, I got new passport (after receiving ITA) with Surname 'Sharma' & Family name: 'Kamal'. But now I am not been able to change my name in application by myself. PLEASE HELP ME. How can I update in my application as per my new passport. URGENT. THANKS

mejaz

Dec 9, 2016
Toronto, ON
Passport Req..
10-04-2018
I am also facing similar issue.. My old passport had NO Surname (Blank) & Family Name had FULL NAME 'Kamal Sharma'. Recently, I got new passport (after receiving ITA) with Surname 'Sharma' & Family name: 'Kamal'. But now I am not been able to change my name in application by myself. PLEASE HELP ME. How can I update in my application as per my new passport. URGENT. THANKS
Hey, we updated the name after getting OINP. Please check carefully if you are able to update the form. If I remember correctly, you should still be able to. In the off chance that you cannot, you will have to explain this in your LOE and attach the necessary affidavits declaring the same.

amitraj275

May 18, 2018
Hey, we updated the name after getting OINP. Please check carefully if you are able to update the form. If I remember correctly, you should still be able to. In the off chance that you cannot, you will have to explain this in your LOE and attach the necessary affidavits declaring the same.
THANKS A LOT, So you are suggesting that I should complete & submit my application first & than ask for change in my surname. Please correct me if I am wrong.

mejaz

Dec 9, 2016
Toronto, ON
Passport Req..
10-04-2018
THANKS A LOT, So you are suggesting that I should complete & submit my application first & than ask for change in my surname. Please correct me if I am wrong.
This is my opinion. Please check with other ppl too. I found another thread with the same info. You can read that as well....but please make sure there is no section where you can update your name format first...if i remember correct there was some button you could click to update name....really not sure now.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/surname-and-given-name-wrong-after-ita.487603/

SreAK

Oct 9, 2021
Hi,

I have a similar situation, please help me with how did you tackle this? Shall I get my spouse's passport re-issued?