+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Online Service CIC extention to temporary residence

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can someone check the visitor assessment tool - I think it is not working correctly.

I tried "in Canada", "visitor", "extend my stay in Canada as a visitor", "A visitor record".
When you get to "Find the expiration date appearing on your visitor record"
If you choose "after todays date" it tells you that your visitor status has expired.

Surely if today is February 1st and the expiry date on a visitor record date is April 2nd it has not expired.

Am I reading this incorrectly or is it wrong?

Also if I choose "before todays date" the following text is displayed:

According to the answers you have provided, you are eligible to apply to extend your stay in Canada as a visitor.

IMPORTANT: You must submit your application within 90 days of the expiry date of your status. If you do not, to restore your status, you will be required to pay a fee of $200 in addition to the fee of your application.

But the main page that describes visa extensions states:

If you decide you want to stay longer, you can apply for an extension. You must send your application to extend your stay at least 30 days before your Temporary Resident Visa expires.

Any ideas?

Nemmy

Nov 4, 2009
Hi Baloo, I noticed the "before todays date" error too, you're not reading it wrong as it flummoxed me too!
It reads as if it's an error, certainly.

thai/peg

Star Member
Sep 21, 2009
Winnipeg, Canada and Trang Thailand
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I too am confused by that. I also have some questions.

I just tried to fill out my husband's application to extend his TRV online.
They want proof of his income. But he is on a TRV so it is illegal to work. I support him. Do I just provide them with proof of my earnings?

Siouxie

Sep 15, 2008
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville / London UK
App. Filed.......
16-02-2005
LANDED..........
26=01=2010
Baloo said:
Can someone check the visitor assessment tool - I think it is not working correctly.

I tried "in Canada", "visitor", "extend my stay in Canada as a visitor", "A visitor record".
When you get to "Find the expiration date appearing on your visitor record"
If you choose "after todays date" it tells you that your visitor status has expired.

Surely if today is February 1st and the expiry date on a visitor record date is April 2nd it has not expired.

Am I reading this incorrectly or is it wrong?

Also if I choose "before todays date" the following text is displayed:

According to the answers you have provided, you are eligible to apply to extend your stay in Canada as a visitor.

IMPORTANT: You must submit your application within 90 days of the expiry date of your status. If you do not, to restore your status, you will be required to pay a fee of $200 in addition to the fee of your application.

But the main page that describes visa extensions states:

If you decide you want to stay longer, you can apply for an extension. You must send your application to extend your stay at least 30 days before your Temporary Resident Visa expires.

Any ideas?
Using Visitor record as you input it, it does come up that way... sigh.. But I am wondering if we are reading incorrectly?

Could the "before todays date" mean the date that the visitor record was produced or dated rather than the date of expiry?

It's certainly confusing! ???

If you have a stamp in your passport rather than a visitor record, you can try it this way and see if that works for you.

In Canada
Extend stay
Use the drop down to stamp in your passport (I am presuming that is what you have)
Drop down on next page to "there is no second date written underneath"

Results in "you qualify..."

Using "none of the above" in the first drop down it comes up with "when did you last enter Canada"... and that works too!

Sorry.... I am confused too!

:)

ColorMePanda

Sep 12, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is the very reason I stuck with the old fashioned way of doing it. It is more reliable. There are just some things I don't trust the computer to do.

I would rather send them actual documents and such. I think they need to put a guide to this thing and fix a few errors before I trust to use it.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mine is very likely to be sent using the old technology.

A user guide,....... that sounds good, but maybe they just need to make it work first ;)

Siouxie

Sep 15, 2008
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville / London UK
App. Filed.......
16-02-2005
LANDED..........
26=01=2010
Bear in mind that that is just a self-assessment tool, it is not the actual application.

To apply online you have to register and follow the steps.
:)

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hands up, has anyone used the online service yet?

Siouxie, I know it is only an assessment tool, but it doesn't inspire confidence if it gets the basics wrong.