Star Member
Oct 1, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Ami...did you get your license in Toronto..please share your experience

ami_j said:
Thanks for reply,
I have nj dmv licence from 3 years only in this case what will you suggest?although I have indian driving licence more than 5 years.

also which abstract I should get 5 yeays or certified abstract from nj dmv?

dgkrishy

Apr 9, 2011
Hi Mark,
For some reason couldnt reply to your PM, so replying here. Please carry your expired NJ DL and current DL along with the abstract. That should do it. If not, please contact the customer service email (customercomments'@'drivetest.ca) and leave your number asking someone to contact you. When they call you, explain the NJ policy about the original issue date and ask them to help you out. They will contact the local DT location for you. Then, go back to your DT center and get your DL.
Hope this helps!

mark_immi

Star Member
Oct 1, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks dgkrishy...I will PM you some other questions I have.

dgkrishy said:
Hi Mark,
For some reason couldnt reply to your PM, so replying here. Please carry your expired NJ DL and current DL along with the abstract. That should do it. If not, please contact the customer service email (customercomments' @ 'drivetest.ca) and leave your number asking someone to contact you. When they call you, explain the NJ policy about the original issue date and ask them to help you out. They will contact the local DT location for you. Then, go back to your DT center and get your DL.
Hope this helps!

beep

Jul 21, 2011
i just went through same frustration , they issue my wife a G2 license instead of G.
first time we went to drivertest center they asked to get document which can provide original date of issue.
we searched for some old NJ MVC document and found a old renewal receipt which clear state original date of issuance. so we took this document to driver-test center , on seeing this document they said they cant accept this document.
frustrated by now i sent out complaint mail , and withing 2 day got call from local drivertest center manager asking us to bring back those document.
next day at center looking at the document they now gave us new reason "their is gap" being old receipt it has original date of issue and expiration date two year from issue.They were asking us provide all old issued driver license (they expected us to preserve all old expired driver license , normal people would shred the old document with personal information).

Only way out is to get "NJ Driver License Application Request" DO-11.PDF filled and send to NJ MVC along with $15 and wait for 4-6 week , then go back to drive-test and hopefully have G License isssued

THIS is SO STUPID , DEFIES ALL COMMONSENSE AND LOGIC.

manianz47

Sep 15, 2008
Hi

We (Self + Spouse) recently exchanged our GA License in Toronto. If you have all the documents (Driver History from all the States), then it will be a breeze. They took 5 minutes for us to issue G (Unrestricted).
Apply and get the Driving History just before you leave to Canada

All the Best...

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
We got our MO state licenses exchanged for Ontario licenses from the drive test center. We had ordered driver's history online from the MO DMV and also from the KY DMV where I had lived prior to MO state. At the drive test center we had no problems. No questions asked. Just the vision test and the licenses were mailed within 2 weeks.

cprak0

mitwa1990

Star Member
Dec 14, 2013
NOC Code......
My EXPERIENCE in getting "G" driving license

Before I came to Canada, I contacted NJ DMV by filing online form to provide me Date of Issue of Driver and Abstract History. Date of Issue of Driver application should be sent by postal mail. Make sure to also have all the expired licenses with you.

I went to the Oakville,ON drivetest area. Service Ontario wont provide you with your first driving license.

Once I reached the booth, I provided her with my active driving license, all the expired driving license and date of issue of driver that I received from NJ DMV. They took all my driving license and gave me the "G" license.

Things to keep in mind:

- If you dont have all the expired driving license (because you disposed them or any other reason), fill the form D0-11 form and send it to DMV using postal mail and ask for all the copies of driving license you had over the years. They will charge $15 for every copy they send it to you. You need to select the option as "Copy of Driving License Application". So in my case I renewed my DL 4 times over the years but I didn't had 2 of DL. So I paid $30 ($15 each) to receive the certified copy of the driving license that was missing.
- If you have all the expired driving license then you just need the abstract history. You can order that online or through mail.

They will require the continuity of all the driving license that you had over the period of years.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
My EXPERIENCE in getting "G" driving license

Before I came to Canada, I contacted NJ DMV by filing online form to provide me Date of Issue of Driver and Abstract History. Date of Issue of Driver application should be sent by postal mail. Make sure to also have all the expired licenses with you.

I went to the Oakville,ON drivetest area. Service Ontario wont provide you with your first driving license.

Once I reached the booth, I provided her with my active driving license, all the expired driving license and date of issue of driver that I received from NJ DMV. They took all my driving license and gave me the "G" license.

Things to keep in mind:

- If you dont have all the expired driving license (because you disposed them or any other reason), fill the form D0-11 form and send it to DMV using postal mail and ask for all the copies of driving license you had over the years. They will charge $15 for every copy they send it to you. You need to select the option as "Copy of Driving License Application". So in my case I renewed my DL 4 times over the years but I didn't had 2 of DL. So I paid $30 ($15 each) to receive the certified copy of the driving license that was missing.
- If you have all the expired driving license then you just need the abstract history. You can order that online or through mail.

They will require the continuity of all the driving license that you had over the period of years.
You answered a 10 year old thread..OP must be retired by now.