+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New IRCC Update Jan 2021 for expired PGWP

Mortalsociety

Jan 22, 2021
My PGWP expired in Feb 2020 , in this new policy IRCC stated that they will be giving open work permits to former PGWP holders. I am confused as to if I am eligible, this is what they said .

A new policy that allows former international students to obtain a new one-time open work permit if theirs is about to expire takes effect today.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is now accepting applications submitted by former international students who wish to obtain a new open work permit if their Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) is expired or about to expire.

The new open work permits will be valid for 18 months.

It will enable former international students to stay in Canada and continue to look for work. Unlike employer-specific work permits, where a foreign worker is bound to a single employer in Canada, open work permits allow foreign nationals to work for any employer they choose.

To apply for an open work permit under the new policy, international students must meet the following requirements:

• have a PGWP that expired on or after January 30, 2020, or a PGWP that expires in 4 months or less from the date of application;
  • be in Canada;
  • have a valid temporary status or be applying to restore your status;
  • have a valid passport.
The online application period is open from today until July 27, 2021.

canadian-gentleman

Star Member
Feb 11, 2016
  • have a PGWP that expired on or after January 30, 2020, or a PGWP that expires in 4 months or less from the date of application;
  • be in Canada;
  • have a valid temporary status or be applying to restore your status;
  • have a valid passport.
Do you meet all 4 requirements? If you do, then you can apply.