+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New immigrants to Saskatoon! Need advice

prmishra361

Dec 8, 2008
Hello friends..
Just few days ago i got the visa and moving to Saskatoon within January..before arriving i need to know lot things about Saskatchewan culture and custom, job opportunity..I have good experiences with gis..Now how should i approach to get job on gis...Does any one can suggest me about those things....which site i should visit to know rules and regulation about Saskatchewan province....I am novice and need to learn lots of things..So please forward me with concrete information related with new comers to Canada....I am eargerly waiting for good information.....

thank you
pramod mishra

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
prmishra361 said:
Hello friends..
Just few days ago i got the visa and moving to Saskatoon within January..before arriving i need to know lot things about Saskatchewan culture and custom, job opportunity..I have good experiences with gis..Now how should i approach to get job on gis...Does any one can suggest me about those things....which site i should visit to know rules and regulation about Saskatchewan province....I am novice and need to learn lots of things..So please forward me with concrete information related with new comers to Canada....I am eargerly waiting for good information.....

thank you
pramod mishra
Google or go to Welcome Saskatchewan,Next be prepared to dress VERY VERY WARMLY,Temprature in January is -40,Think of dropping hot coffee and it freezes within 10-15 seconds or if your face is uncovered for more then 30 seconds,you suffer frostbite,The good news is the economy is booming with plenty of jobs

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BCguy is exaggerating a bit. The temperature is not -40 all of January. You may get days of -40 but you'll survive. 30 seconds is also not enough to get frostbite but you do need to be careful to always bring gloves, scarf and toque so you can cover your fingers, ears and most of your face. Do not put yourself in a situation where you are locked out without warm clothes. Bring your cell phone everywhere and make sure it's charged.

There was a case here in AB a few years ago where a young woman had walked home drunk and came to a locked house. She did not think to break a window to get in or to ask the neighbours for help but waited outside for 45 minutes until somebody came home. She did not have any gloves or if she did, not very good ones. She suffered frostbite and lost most of her fingers.

If you rely on the bus, work out a route where you can wait inside somewhere while you wait for a bus. While driving in your car, bring warm clothes also in case your car breaks down.

You can check weatherbase.com for weather records in any city, including Saskatoon. You can find jobs at http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/ or in the paper. SK official website, links for drivers license and more can be found at http://www.gov.sk.ca/

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
I defer to the cold weather expert from froen Alberta,We hardly get weather below 0 here during winter,Leon is an expert on cold weather compared to me.

C

cchabert

How Vancouver will the Olympics if there is not as cold as Alberta and which more less snow?

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
cchabert said:
How Vancouver will the Olympics if there is not as cold as Alberta and which more less snow?
Whistler and our Mountains have plenty of snow,While in the city,It snows only 4-6 times during winter.BRRRRRRRR Alberta and Saskatchewan are too cold for me.

prmishra361

Dec 8, 2008
eduardoF said:
http://www.sods.sk.ca/
Thanks for such a good information.can you suggest me detail information that i am searching..Is it necessary that i have to carry minimum $10000 Canadian dollar and have to show at port of entry..IF so in which format i have to carry that money..I mean bank cheque or cash or other....Or this rule is not obligated for provincial nominee...it will be great if i get this information..

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sometimes it's enough to have a letter from a bank showing that you have the money in an account and you can transfer it when you open a bank account in Canada. You should ask the SINP to make sure. Their contact info here: http://www.immigration.gov.sk.ca/Contact

piper

Nov 18, 2008
I am also immigrating to Saskatchewan. A friend (who's in the same province) suggested me to go there after winter since I am not used to cold weather. I often get colds and flu on rainy seasons here in the Philippines. Do you suggest the same for first-time immigrants? Do you think I should update my immunizations before arriving there?

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
piper said:
I am also immigrating to Saskatchewan. A friend (who's in the same province) suggested me to go there after winter since I am not used to cold weather. I often get colds and flu on rainy seasons here in the Philippines. Do you suggest the same for first-time immigrants? Do you think I should update my immunizations before arriving there?
Do you realize that the coldest it gets in the highlands of the Philippines is 12 C,so How do you think you will deal with -40.OK here is an idea imagine your freezer But colder,It takes hot coffee about 20 minutes to to freeze in a freezer,now imagine it freezing in 2 minutes,But again you are not a true Canadian until you have gone through your first winter.Good luck and be sure to follow Leon s advice to dress in 4 layers.

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
Leon said:
and take cold-fx to avoid the colds :)
and Echinachea if you believe in herbal medicines,Yes Leon We Tree Huggers here in BC love our Natural medications compared to pills.Just kidding actually both are good

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
And actually cold and flu is not caused by cold weather. It's caused by viruses. Getting frequent colds and flu's means there is something wrong with your immune system but there are different remedies that help with that. It is also possible to get flu shots here in the fall although some people actually get sick from the shots.