+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Immigrant in dilemma : Oracle DBA

kn2172

Star Member
Jul 30, 2014
I am (35) & we are family of three. Wife (33) & Kid(3). We are all PR holders of Canada under the Nova Scotia provincial nominee program. This year we are planning to make a permanent move to Canada within the next 30-40 days.

On the professional front, I have been working as an Oracle DBA since the past 11 years with Amdocs & Infosys in India.

Before making the move we started researching and taking feedback from many people in Canada through various mediums (personal contacts, WhatsApp, Facebook, etc.) regarding the current job scenario for new immigrants. From most of the people, the feedback we got was that it does make sense to make the move in our case due to age, technology(DBA) & financial savings. On checking further we found people in the IT industry were quite positive. But again, when we checked more we found that the IT people who were happy about coming to Canada were all developers and testers.

At the same time we started checking various job portal and found there are very few jobs for DBAs and even if they are there, most of them required MS SQL server skills.

So ultimately when we matched my skills (Oracle DBA) with the available jobs, we found it negative and stuck in dilemma. We went further and started talking with DBAs who are currently working in Canada and found that DBA work is mostly handled by internal people and there are very chances that the organizations put up the job openings for DBAs.

From all these conversation & research, we concluded a few things and started finding answers for the same. It would be really great if you can share your advice on the same and we would be highly glad if you can help us in any way to get into the first job at any level.

Below are the concerns that we are facing now and finding out the way to get over them.

1) How is the job market for Oracle DBAs in Canada? Is the DBA job market dying in Canada? If Yes, where are the people moving from DBA profile?

2) Are most of the DBA jobs looking for MS SQL Server instead of Oracle?

3) Or are most of the DBA jobs looking for multiple technologies?

4) Are the DBAs in Canada moving to become Data Engineer? If yes, how easy is for them to get jobs as data engineers? Is there any good training or internship programs where we can get into the industry at a beginner level and move up from there.

5) How can I improve myself to get a good job in Canada with an oracle DBA background? Also, I would like to honestly state whatever work I have done in DBA experience is very superficial and was never much challenging. I started to move my career towards AWS and also completed AWS cloud certification but never got a chance to work on an actual project.

I am completely OK with starting at any level and any technology in the IT industry. If you hear of anything within your own network that you think might fit the bill, I’d so appreciate if you could send a heads up my way.

Thank you so much for the time & support you are providing.

Attachments area

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
you definitely need to branch out into the cloud (azure or aws) domain. cloud administrators and developers will find work quickly. since you are already in the database domain, transition will be easier.