+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

new immigrant experiencing background check with Sterling need your help

mn096104

Star Member
Oct 18, 2013
Hello guys,
I'm a new immigrant, i got job offer from a fortune 500 US company earlier this month, we singed the contract and i followed up with their standard procedure to do the background check with Sterling(background check/info system), checking item was only about ADDRESS AND CRIMINAL RECORD, hr told me the background check would take up to 1 week, but last week i was informed as I'm a new immigrant the check got into a worldwide search, which would cause delay, sterling probably get it done by March 1st. I tried to contact Sterling, as i'm new to the Canada, CIC did the background check on me not a while ago, i dont see why they want to waste time and resource on duplicate work, and i still have ATIP notes to prove CIC's conclusion, but they never get back to me. Employer is US company and HR insisted me resolving this directly with Sterling. When i asked HR would such background check delay my start day of the work, HR gave me very vague reply.
Now my biggest concern is such delay and meaningless check would cost the job, i'm not sure by the time sterling get the work the job is still available.
Has anyone here experienced similar situation?

Rehana bhuyan

Feb 14, 2016
mn096104 said:
Hello guys,
I'm a new immigrant, i got job offer from a fortune 500 US company earlier this month, we singed the contract and i followed up with their standard procedure to do the background check with Sterling(background check/info system), checking item was only about ADDRESS AND CRIMINAL RECORD, hr told me the background check would take up to 1 week, but last week i was informed as I'm a new immigrant the check got into a worldwide search, which would cause delay, sterling probably get it done by March 1st. I tried to contact Sterling, as i'm new to the Canada, CIC did the background check on me not a while ago, i dont see why they want to waste time and resource on duplicate work, and i still have ATIP notes to prove CIC's conclusion, but they never get back to me. Employer is US company and HR insisted me resolving this directly with Sterling. When i asked HR would such background check delay my start day of the work, HR gave me very vague reply.
Now my biggest concern is such delay and meaningless check would cost the job, i'm not sure by the time sterling get the work the job is still available.

cndimm1012

Nov 16, 2016
mn096104 said:
Hello guys,
Hi, i'm facing the same situation...how did it work out for you?