28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
trunorth said:
You know what, I just think this whole bill will drag and probably die off some where. Then Harper will blame the NDP for killing it. So makes Harper and his guys look good. Frankly I don't think they give a hoot about the whole change.
The Conservatives have a majority so it will be difficult to drag things out. With a majority government you can push things through. Would be very different if we had a minority government right now - but we don't.

vic48912

Star Member
Nov 30, 2007
trunorth said:
I agree it was not a great example. But they can ask us to sign an intent but if we get a job in Timbuktu and we dont claim any benefits while being away, they got no right to take away our Canadian citizenship especially to some of those who renounced their previous country citizenship. That part of the law will be amended. You know what, I just think this whole bill will drag and probably die off some where. Then Harper will blame the NDP for killing it. So makes Harper and his guys look good. Frankly I don't think they give a hoot about the whole change.

I don't see how increasing from 3 to 4 years will make me or anyone more Canadian! I know Citizens who have been here for 20 to 30 years and are soooo un-Canadian. Some of them don't even know where NB or NS or where some of the other provinces are!!! I've been here for almost 3 years now and I am sure I know alot more than them and even most Canadians who were born here.

This is a stupid bill! The opposition will try to chew it up and Harper will take it slow. Reminds me of what is going on in the US where the Dems introduced the new immigration bill and the Reps chewed it up. Now the Dems are blaming the Reps for messing it up so that the Dems will get votes in the next election!

If it passes, so be it. But it aint gonna pass at least till November or December. And of course, it aint gonna pass the way it is. Some darn fool may even suggest 5 out of 8 years. The thing that pisses me off is they just raided the application fee by 2x. They better speed up by 2x from NOW!
Sorry dude I can assure you the law will pass just watching the body language of ndp and liberal MPs debate on tv....Harper cons and his right wing ideologues are hitting the homophobic button of the electorate and they think they are hitting the right button......that's why I tell everyone, speak or write to your mp, state your feelings in blogs and don't let those zombies conditioned by Harper win the debate....I know Jason Kenney was reading forums like this to get reaction and feedback about implementation of his immigration policy, they monitor sites like this for feedback.........Canada is not Mugabe Zimbabwe and it's our duty to help so that what right wing politicians are trying to achieve in Europe and Australia is not imported into our beloved Canada. We are blessed because we don't have those problems......you have to put your point across to sway your MP, that is the beauty of Canadian democracy otherwise the crazies will have their way!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
vic48912 said:
Not true about Alberta....Alberta AHCHIP is also inline with OHIP but theirs is 3months wait for absence of 183 days in 12 months period
http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/moving-to-Alberta.html

"If you are moving or returning to Alberta from outside Canada, you might be eligible for coverage on the date of your arrival."

Agree about the 183 days in 12 months period however. That is why people say they can bill you if you leave too soon.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Here's the brual reality - this bill will pass because the majority of Canadians (voting Canadians) are in favour of tigher rules. All you have to do is read the online comments attached to these stories to see how voters lean on this issue. The link below is to the Globe and Mail. The Globe is our left of centre newspaper (i.e. supportive of the NDP and anti Conservative). Even then, the comments towards this legislation are very favourable.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawas-citizenship-bill-tightens-rules-for-new-citizens-takes-aim-at-fraud/article16730271/comments/

Parties are not going to vote against something voters heavily support - especially not in an election year.

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
Here's the brual reality - this bill will pass because the majority of Canadians (voting Canadians) are in favour of tigher rules. All you have to do is read the online comments attached to these stories to see how voters lean on this issue. The link below is to the Globe and Mail. The Globe is our left of centre newspaper (i.e. supportive of the NDP and anti Conservative). Even then, the comments towards this legislation are very favourable.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawas-citizenship-bill-tightens-rules-for-new-citizens-takes-aim-at-fraud/article16730271/comments/

Parties are not going to vote against something voters heavily support - especially not in an election year.
these are only comments from public who are not too supportive of the whole immigration program.

NDP does have some concerns from these proposals. http://www.ndp.ca/news/conservatives-failing-citizenship-and-immigration

i am not saying it will be defeated but there will be some debates on this one... and perhaps some amendments...

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
sept15 said:
these are only comments from public who are not too supportive of the whole immigration program.
NDP does have some concerns from these proposals. http://www.ndp.ca/news/conservatives-failing-citizenship-and-immigration
i am not saying it will be defeated but there will be some debates on this one... and perhaps some amendments...
Here is the reality:

Voters are overwhelmingly in favor of this bill.

NDP can have all the reservations it wants, an ammendment can only be added to the bill if the majority of members in that particular house support the ammendment. And as tight a ship as Harper runs, there will be no ammendments to the bill.

Also the bill talks about stripping citizenship from convicted war criminals and terrorists. Anyone who opposes the bill will be accused of supporting war criminals and terrorists. And no politican ever wants to be accused of that.

dr_majed8835

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
Again from an experts point of view when do u guys this bill will become a law.
I have contacted the CBA and they said that they only keep records of my entries to Canada and not the exits. Now do CIC dig in every applicants entries - exits or only if they are in doubt?

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
dr_majed8835 said:
Again from an experts point of view when do u guys this bill will become a law.
I have contacted the CBA and they said that they only keep records of my entries to Canada and not the exits. Now do CIC dig in every applicants entries - exits or only if they are in doubt?
No one knows when it will become a law....It will be a couple of months atleast, probably more. We don't know how important it is for the govt to push the bill through Parliament.

I would plan on applying under the new law and if it so happens that the new law has not been enacted by the time you qualify under the old law-consider yourself lucky and apply ASAP

turboracer

Jul 20, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
okay on some part of this blog i saw this message :

I'm a journalist with CBC Radio. I'm looking to connect with people in the Toronto area who are planning to apply for citizenship, who would be affected by the government's reforms. If you have a story to tell, I'd love to speak with you today. Please drop me a line at brendan.ross @ cbc.ca Thanks!

So folks if really there is something that can be done please share the story to this journalist..

Hope anyone's opinion can at least be reached

Best Wishes for Everyone

vic48912

Star Member
Nov 30, 2007
txboyscout said:
Here is the reality:

Voters are overwhelmingly in favor of this bill.

NDP can have all the reservations it wants, an ammendment can only be added to the bill if the majority of members in that particular house support the ammendment. And as tight a ship as Harper runs, there will be no ammendments to the bill.

Also the bill talks about stripping citizenship from convicted war criminals and terrorists. Anyone who opposes the bill will be accused of supporting war criminals and terrorists. And no politican ever wants to be accused of that.
You accessment is the same as mine, voters overwhelmingly support this bill that's a fact, however it's not too late if folks start ringing their MPs so that the bad portion of the bill that create second class citizen is watered down especially the part where counting of residency begin when you attain permanent resident status, signing undertaking you intend to reside in Canada after becoming citizen and the bush era mentality of striping dual national of Canadian citizenship for terrorism offence.....some folks might say I am not a terrorist so it does not bother me, I'll say one day because it's in the status book it can be expanded to cover everyone with dual nationality for other unrelated issue....according to immigration minister he said there are 130 Canadian the intelligence agency is monitoring....my question is if they know the whereabout of this 130 Canadians fighting with terrorist group why not give the information to Americans to kill them with drones? no one gonna lose sweat over those dead Enders! Americans kill their own citizens in war zones eg awaliki......creating a draconia law because of 130 bad apples out of a population of 25 million plus Canadian resident is no brainer!..instead of keeping that kind of draconian law in the status book and giving that kind of power to a politician, that is a slippery slope in my opinion......a judge would have been ideal to have such powers of striping someone of citizenship

MPs represent their constituents, getting feed backs from their constituents help them gauge the mood of electorate.....if they hear only one side of the debate that is how they gonna vote.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
scylla said:

In general, I agree with you. But be careful, the comments section of articles tends to be very self-selecting, i.e. not many people not vested in the debate about citizenship in some way, or who are not professional comment makers, are going to post comments.

Public support of the bill is only one factor. Stakeholders still have a chance to weigh in. Where is the NHL on all of this? Won't this make it harder for foreign hockey players to qualify given they have to travel to the United States all the time? What about the truck driver's union? Is there even one anymore?

MrB

Star Member
Aug 24, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I consulted with very reliable experts in Canadian law about the concerns for the new bill and when it is likely to pass. According to a very reliable source who has contacted CIC, they hope to have gone through second reading and approval sometime in 2015-2016. Also according to my source, there areas of the bill that would certainly be amended. Mostly in the section that requires minors (14yrs of age), writing the citizenship test and meeting the minimum language requirements. Also another area of concern for most parties would be taking power out of the governor in counsel's hands and transferring that power to the minister, who in turn can make decisions with no oversight or consultation. That I suspect won't sit well with many MP's regardless of party. Lastly it might appear that it would be common sense that a bill stripping a dual citizen accused of terrorism fighting the government (treason/high treason) would have overwhelming support but according to my source, similar plans have been quashed in the House in prior years, based on precedents set.

We also have to keep in mind that this is a major overhaul that could have major implications to the Country, I am almost a 100% certain it would not pass this year. Even conservatives that support the passage of this bill would want it done right.

vic48912

Star Member
Nov 30, 2007
MrB said:
I consulted with very reliable experts in Canadian law about the concerns for the new bill and when it is likely to pass. According to a very reliable source who has contacted CIC, they hope to have gone through second reading and approval sometime in 2015-2016. Also according to my source, there areas of the bill that would certainly be amended. Mostly in the section that requires minors (14yrs of age), writing the citizenship test and meeting the minimum language requirements. Also another area of concern for most parties would be taking power out of the governor in counsel's hands and transferring that power to the minister, who in turn can make decisions with no oversight or consultation. That I suspect won't sit well with many MP's regardless of party. Lastly it might appear that it would be common sense that a bill stripping a dual citizen accused of terrorism fighting the government (treason/high treason) would have overwhelming support but according to my source, similar plans have been quashed in the House in prior years, based on precedents set.

We also have to keep in mind that this is a major overhaul that could have major implications to the Country, I am almost a 100% certain it would not pass this year. Even conservatives that support the passage of this bill would want it done right.

Unfortunately i don't share the same optimism with your source, the bill will pass as swiftly as the cons wants it, they are blowing the piper with this bill as they know It's close to election year and the cons are confident the other political party wouldn't put up a fight....immigration issue is a hit with electorate. Common sense amendment to this law is with the judiciary....that's my 2 cent on it

vic48912

Star Member
Nov 30, 2007
MrB said:

Just to add to my last post, the bill that was killed stripping dual citizen accused of fighting against Canadian troops was a private member bill introduced by Calgary NE mp and was rejected in the senate................it passed swiftly through HoC......since that time the senate is more partisan and are now mirror image of HoC