+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New citizens - Canadian Passport Applicants Tracker

noor-blue83

Star Member
Jun 17, 2014
why do they need guarantors and/or references?

coolifrs said:
Got my passport :)

1. Did you do regular processing, express, or urgent?
REGULAR

2. How long did it take you to get your passport? Did you get it by mail or pick-up?
8 business days (12 days) - received in mail (comes in ExpressPost as standard)

3. Did they call your guarantors and/or references?
No

4. Which office (city) did you apply at?
Toronto DT

5. Other tips and advice for other future applicants?
If you don't have any urgent travel apply in person using the regular process. Receiving by mail is FASTER than picking up in person. This is because the passport is mailed to you as soon as it is processed or ready, whereas picking up they don't allow you to pick up until the 2 weeks have lapsed. I received my passport 2 days before the "mail out date". The only issue is someone needs to sign for it, so if no-one is home it will sit with Canada Post

spellbinder

Star Member
Sep 6, 2010
To my surprise got the passport delivered today (Sunday).

REGULAR

2. How long did it take you to get your passport? Did you get it by mail or pick-up?
7 business days (applied Nov 27th, 2014, got it today Dec 7, 2014 Sunday)

No

Scarborough

Dont forget to sign pg 3 when you get your passport. All the best.

aed

Oct 3, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
coolifrs said:
Got my passport :)

REGULAR

8 business days (12 days) - received in mail (comes in ExpressPost as standard)

No

Toronto DT

5. Other tips and advice for other future applicants?
If you don't have any urgent travel apply in person using the regular process. Receiving by mail is FASTER than picking up in person. This is because the passport is mailed to you as soon as it is processed or ready, whereas picking up they don't allow you to pick up until the 2 weeks have lapsed. I received my passport 2 days before the "mail out date". The only issue is someone needs to sign for it, so if no-one is home it will sit with Canada Post
+1 for #5

brbr

Star Member
Jul 31, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys, I guess I'm confused, just a quick question, I would really appreciate your help. I noticed that the passport application website states:

"As an adult, you must submit proof of citizenship unless you qualify to renew a passport.

Provide original documents; photocopies are not accepted."

Does this mean that Passport Canada will take my original certificate of citizenship which I am handed in the oath ceremony and not return it back to me? Clarification would be fantastic. Thank you peeps! :)

maidentower

Star Member
Feb 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey brbr

No they will not take your certificate away. The agent just needs to scan it to his computer and will return it to you there and then.

I just applied for mine a week ago as well.

So take your original documents, photocopies will not be accepted. And do not laminate your certificate.

Congrats and goodluck! ;D

brbr

Star Member
Jul 31, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
maidentower said:
Hey brbr

No they will not take your certificate away. The agent just needs to scan it to his computer and will return it to you there and then.

So take your original documents, photocopies will not be accepted. And do not laminate your certificate.

Awesome, thank you very much for the blazingly fast response maidentower! :D :D

aed

Oct 3, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
maidentower said:
Hey brbr

How about other documents, e.g. marriage certificate? :)

maidentower

Star Member
Feb 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well I was just asked for my TWO ID's and the Citizenship Certificate (all originals).

I'm not married so cannot really comment on the marriage certificate. Though I doubt they would ask for the marriage certificate unless you are changing your name..

Maybe some couples can add on to this? :)

aed

Oct 3, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
maidentower said:
Well I was just asked for my TWO ID's and the Citizenship Certificate (all originals).

I'm not married so cannot really comment on the marriage certificate. Though I doubt they would ask for the marriage certificate unless you are changing your name..

Maybe some couples can add on to this? :)
That's why I'm asking :). I am changing my name. :) I know it can be done, just wondering if they will return the originals. So, you didn't have to leave anything with them? :)

aed

Oct 3, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Also, I know it's off-topic, but what documents/services did you have to update/apply for after receiving your citizenship? I can come up with the Elections Canada and passport from the top of my head. :)

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
aed said:
Also, I know it's off-topic, but what documents/services did you have to update/apply for after receiving your citizenship? I can come up with the Elections Canada and passport from the top of my head. :)
I am a NEXUS member so I needed to update that. Otherwise I don't think I updated anything else.

maidentower

Star Member
Feb 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have not updated anything... assumed it would be done automatically.

What about Elections Canada -- do we need to register for that, if yes how?

I was on the elections canada website just now to check if I am registered and looks like I am not but could be because we are new...unless there is another way to register ourselves...

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
maidentower said:
I have not updated anything... assumed it would be done automatically.

What about Elections Canada -- do we need to register for that, if yes how?

I was on the elections canada website just now to check if I am registered and looks like I am not but could be because we are new...unless there is another way to register ourselves...
All I did was show up to vote and tell them that I am not registered and I have no voters card. So they registered me right then and there and I was able to vote. Once I registered that first time, I'm good and I got a voter's card in the mail for each election after that.