+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Car lease Vs used car purchase

BigBee

Oct 10, 2013
Seniors / Madan sir

I am a bit confused with the below options of buying a car;

1. New car leased under my company's name

2. Used car purchased (budget around 5K $) under either my company's name or my name

I would like to know which one of this would fetch me more tax savings and also value for money, the intent of buying the car is just for city run and will be seldom used for longer runs and I would be the only one driving it around.

What I understand with new car is;

Pros;
1. Brand new car - so no maintenance
2. Lease - hence possibly lower EMI
3. Tax benefit - EMI could be deducted from the income that is computed for tax (but I am not sure)
4. Latest technology at disposal

Cons;
1. Higher insurance
2. You DON'T own the car

What I understand with used car is;
Pros;
1. Cheap
2. Lower insurance
3. You OWN the car

Cons;
1. Higher maintenance - possible breakdowns
2. No latest technology at disposal
3. "Used" car.... ;D

I would appreciate all the responses and thanks for your time.

-B

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For a brand new car, why is that you don't own the car? Also, why there is no latest technology available for a used car?

BigBee

Oct 10, 2013
steaky said:
For a brand new car, why is that you don't own the car? Also, why there is no latest technology available for a used car?
When I say a brand new car, its under lease and not under finance, hence, under lease, you don't own the car.

When I say a used car, I am typically looking at around 5K $ because I dont want to go for finance for an used car, I dont expect latest technology to be available on a used car which only cost you 5K $

Does this now makes sense?

Would you be able to answer my question on the opening post now please? :)

Amadan123

Star Member
Dec 2, 2013
Hello Bigbee,

There really is a lot to consider here. You should start by perusing the guide below. It is comprehensive and, needless to say, beneficial.

http://www.pwc.com/ca/en/tax/publications/pwc-tax-guide-car-expenses-benefits-2014-02-10.pdf

Madan Chartered Accountant team
www.madanca.com