+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New born outside canada after applying for citizenship

Tarig84

Star Member
Nov 3, 2021
A PR friend applied for citizenship in Apr. She's planning to give birth in July in US. Can she amend her citizenship application with the new baby?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
A PR friend applied for citizenship in Apr. She's planning to give birth in July in US. Can she amend her citizenship application with the new baby?
No, it doesn't really work that way.

If the child is born BEFORE she becomes a citizen, then the child will be a citizen at birth.

If the child is born AFTER she becomes a citizen, she needs to sponsor the child for PR before she can obtain citizenship for the child.

When she submitted the citizenship application doesn't matter. What matters is when she officially becomes a citizen and when the child is born.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
No, it doesn't really work that way.

If the child is born BEFORE she becomes a citizen, then the child will be a citizen at birth.

If the child is born AFTER she becomes a citizen, she needs to sponsor the child for PR before she can obtain citizenship for the child.

When she submitted the citizenship application doesn't matter. What matters is when she officially becomes a citizen and when the child is born.
Should AFTER be in place of BEFORE and vice versa?

If she becomes a citizen and child is born after it, it will be Canadian.
If she is in process of citizenship so on valid PR she needs to sponsor the child for PR.

I feel you said the opposite.

Reactions: Kayne

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Should AFTER be in place of BEFORE and vice versa?

If she becomes a citizen and child is born after it, it will be Canadian.
If she is in process of citizenship so on valid PR she needs to sponsor the child for PR.

I feel you said the opposite.
Ugh. Yes, you're 100% right.

Reactions: forw.jane

Tarig84

Star Member
Nov 3, 2021
Thanks a lot
If she applied for the sponsership and get get PR for the baby, what will be the citizenship requirements for the baby?

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Thanks a lot
If she applied for the sponsership and get get PR for the baby, what will be the citizenship requirements for the baby?
Depends on whether the parent is Canadian or not. If Canadian, no requirements really, just need to be in Canada to apply... If not Canadian yet, the usual physical presence requirement... So, sont apply for the kid's citizenship before oath and that's it.

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
My question is can the child's PR be applied from outside of Canada, the child lands and then Citizenship proceedings can be commenced or started?

Reactions: Xxsaraxx

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
My question is can the child's PR be applied from outside of Canada, the child lands and then Citizenship proceedings can be commenced or started?
Sponsorship applications can only be initiated inside Canada IIRC. Please see link
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/eligibility.html

If child wil be born in US, get a US passport, child can enter without visa for 6 months and then submit the PR sponsorship from inside Canada.

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
Sponsorship applications can only be initiated inside Canada IIRC. Please see link
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/eligibility.html

If child wil be born in US, get a US passport, child can enter without visa for 6 months and then submit the PR sponsorship from inside Canada.
You will also need to be in Canada during the time the application is in process - please confirm this before proceeding to apply. You can just apply and then leave Canada again.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks a lot
She’ll need to apply to sponsor the baby from Canada and show that you intend to live in Canada permanently once child has PR.

Xxsaraxx

Star Member
Jun 7, 2017
Hello,
I saw on another thread you applied for your first passport from the UK. I am in the same situation and was wondering if you could advise, I got all my documents and also got them signed by my guarantor whilst I was in Canada.

However, unfortunately I missed the identity card copy on which the guarantor needs to sign too, can my guarantor sign scan and send it it has to be original signature ? Are there any ways around this ?

And how exactly do I go about sending my application? Do I just send it off with DHL? I know I need to send my original citizenship certificate (mine was in person) how will they return it?

Sorry for the many questions ! Thank you