+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nervewracking--just getting started!

akb23

Jan 11, 2011
This whole process is so angst-inducing.

My partner and I have been living together in the US since August. We met online (I know, there's a club!) about a year ago, and he's currently with me on a TN work status.

We're getting married in March in Halifax (with his family) and he's starting work/his MaSc-possibly-PhD in Toronto in May, after I finish my own MLIS (master's in library science).

Obviously we're planning on starting the PR process for me as soon as possible after the wedding, which will be small.

In theory, immigration.ca says my degree is both TN and work eligible, but there's not a category for it in either thing, plus lord knows how long it will take me to find work in the field.

He'll be making enough from his work to support both of us for a while, but not indefinitely, so that's a kink.

ANYWAY. I'm just having a really hard time deciphering everything, up to and including the income requirements. I consistently see the "three years of financial support" thing, and have on-and-off assurance that the spousal sponsorship doesn't have to meet those requirements. If we do have to meet them, we're basically out of luck for another year. If we don't, other things mean we're probably fine. That's the only real wall standing between me and confidence. I can show evidence of our relationship and all that.

My only comfort is that we're not trying to get him into the US, as that seems even more complicated.

Any advice as we get started on the whole business would be appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's no minimum income requirement to sponsor a spouse. The individual sponsoring just cannot be on social assistance/welfare and cannot be bankrupt.

The "three years" refers to the period of time your partner will be responsible for supporting you after you land. If you were to go on welfare during this period of time, your partner would have to pay this money back to the government.