+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

nephew in canada

balo

Jun 6, 2009
hi experts, I have 2 nephews who is studying in canada (with PR), can I claim the points from them as relative even they are below 21 years of age, pls reply

ravs

Star Member
Sep 28, 2009
Hi Balo
M afraid you cannot claim points for your nephews

Refer the OP6 below
Award five points if the applicant or accompanying spouse or common- law
partner has a relative (parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, child of a
parent, child of a grandparent, or grandchild of a parent) who is residing in
Canada and is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ravs said:
Hi Balo
M afraid you cannot claim points for your nephews

Refer the OP6 below
Award five points if the applicant or accompanying spouse or common- law
partner has a relative (parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, child of a
parent, child of a grandparent, or grandchild of a parent) who is residing in
Canada and is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
There is a problem. OP6 says no, but the adaptability section at "who can apply" http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/factor-adaptability.asp says yes.

"Relatives in Canada
You, or your accompanying spouse or common-law partner, have a relative (parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, child of a parent, sibling, child of a grandparent, aunt or uncle, or grandchild of a parent, niece or nephew) who is residing in Canada and is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.

ravs

Star Member
Sep 28, 2009
PMM said:
Hi

There is a problem. OP6 says no, but the adaptability section at "who can apply" http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/factor-adaptability.asp says yes.

"Relatives in Canada
You, or your accompanying spouse or common-law partner, have a relative (parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, child of a parent, sibling, child of a grandparent, aunt or uncle, or grandchild of a parent, niece or nephew) who is residing in Canada and is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
Now thats is strange - so wat do u say PMM - is it advisable for him to go n claim points - because VO mit refer OP6 - wont they - please advise BALO

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ravs said:
Now thats is strange - so wat do u say PMM - is it advisable for him to go n claim points - because VO mit refer OP6 - wont they - please advise BALO
Well I went to the regulations and here is what 83(5) says.

ull-time work in Canada under a work permit.

Family relationships in Canada
(5) For the purposes of paragraph (1)(d), a skilled worker shall be awarded 5 points if
(a) the skilled worker or the skilled worker's accompanying spouse or accompanying common-law partner is related by blood, marriage, common-law partnership or adoption to a person who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Canada and who is
(i) their father or mother,
(ii) the father or mother of their father or mother, (grandparents)
(iii) their child,
(iv) a child of their child, (grandchild)
(v) a child of their father or mother, (brother/sister)
(vi) a child of the father or mother of their father or mother, other than their father or mother, or (Aunt/Uncle)
(vii) a child of the child of their father or mother; or (Niece/Nephew)
(b) the skilled worker has a spouse or common-law partner who is not accompanying the skilled worker and is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Canada.

But if you read the instruction guide http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/EG7.pdf Page 6 it says that

"grandchild of a parent", (niece or nephew), is eligible for 5 points.

So OP 6 is wrong.

gigab

Jan 20, 2009
Calgary
Visa Office......
Guatemala
App. Filed.......
6/July/2009
Doc's Request.
2/Sept./2009
AOR Received.
11/January/2010
File Transfer...
Documents arrived: 17/Dec./2009
Med's Request
1/March/2010 received 26/March/2010
Med's Done....
17April/2010. Additional documents sent 28/April
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
5/May/2010
VISA ISSUED...
Dec. 10, 2010. Received January 11, 2011.
LANDED..........
March 10, 2011
For PMM
Starting the paragraph you mention related "by blood". If my cousin or her child are permanent residents would I gain 5 points?
Please inform us.
Gigab

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

gigab said:
For PMM
Starting the paragraph you mention related "by blood". If my cousin or her child are permanent residents would I gain 5 points?
Please inform us.
Gigab
No, cousins don't give you 5 points.

balo

Jun 6, 2009
Hello again experts, so please clarify can I claim as Ravs and PMM information is quite contradicting based on what they have read.
Will the immigration grant me 5 points since I have nephews (2 sons of my older brother) in Canada with PR status, although they are below 21 yrs of age

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

balo said:
Hello again experts, so please clarify can I claim as Ravs and PMM information is quite contradicting based on what they have read.
Will the immigration grant me 5 points since I have nephews (2 sons of my older brother) in Canada with PR status, although they are below 21 yrs of age
Yes.