+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nepalese student

jshekhar

Jun 17, 2018
Hi, I am a citizen of Nepal and have landed in Toronto 2 months back on study permit. I have done my previous education in India and also have worked in India for few years because the political state in Nepal is not good. There's always strikes and more strikes and it becomes very difficult for a student and worker like me to grow in Nepal and that is why I came to Canada. So, just wanted to know if I could apply for refuge status in Canada.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You can certainly apply for refugee status, but what would be your basis of claim? Strikes and difficulty in career advancement are not grounds for a refugee claim. You should really consider completing your studies and applying for a PGWP and then enter an immigration stream. Based on your comments, a refugee claim would almost certainly be rejected for the reasons stated, and you would end up being removed from Canada, and your study permit revoked. The chances of returning to Canada (or most western countries) after that is pretty much zero. Best to complete your studies and immigrate.

Reactions: Bryanna and scylla

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi, I am a citizen of Nepal and have landed in Toronto 2 months back on study permit. I have done my previous education in India and also have worked in India for few years because the political state in Nepal is not good. There's always strikes and more strikes and it becomes very difficult for a student and worker like me to grow in Nepal and that is why I came to Canada. So, just wanted to know if I could apply for refuge status in Canada.
@Buletruck has given you good advice.

Another reason why you would not want to make a refugee claim is because the bilateral treaty between India and Nepal allows you to work without any restrictions, without a work permit, in India if you don't want to work in Nepal/Canada. In fact, you have previously worked in India. So, your claim will be rejected

Last edited: