Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
you know these border folks right. our miles will depend purely upon officer present at that time. better to go by books. why take unnecessary tension at the border.
I agree. We cant take chances with them.

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Sir, so in this case do u know any locations in michigan which gives report immediately as come back to canada same day.I am confused because for covid result, it will take time between 3 to 5 days. So how we can manage to come same day?
Even I'm looking for one in Detroit area. Yet to find one... :( Google for labs in Detroit area with quick pcr test turnaround. Most give results between 24-72 hours in US.. you might mostly get anytime after 24 hours too. So just plan to return next day.

canadapr1982

Jul 17, 2017
Even I'm looking for one in Detroit area. Yet to find one... :( Google for labs in Detroit area with quick pcr test turnaround. Most give results between 24-72 hours in US.. you might mostly get anytime after 24 hours too. So just plan to return next day.
Actually last time i went on feb 3, so technically before march 3, I have suppose to go to usa to use AVR. I am very confused whether this time do covid test or not else if i m not going before march 3, then for me avr is gone ☹

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Actually last time i went on feb 3, so technically before march 3, I have suppose to go to usa to use AVR. I am very confused whether this time do covid test or not else if i m not going before march 3, then for me avr is gone ☹
What is the confusion about the test? Why don't you find a place in Detroit and do the test to return back? Very serious consequences in Canada side if you don't have a test done.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sir, Tomorrow I booked appointment for Covid test in Windsor hospital and they said I will get reports within 3 to 5 days. It means I am not travel on March 1.As I am travelled last month on Feb 3, so when my 30 days is over March 3 or March 4??
You need to go to a private lab on the US side and pay for a test if you are using a test to cross the border. Whoever was doing the phone screening clearly didn't understand what you were doing. Public tests are not supposed to be used for people to enter from the US and a Canadian test doesn't show proof the you haven't contracted covid while in the US if you take a test before you go to the US. Please speak to the hospital about your situation before processing a test that is unnecessary. Every test costs money.

Last edited:

nvap23

Star Member
Apr 19, 2020
Came across below article and posting here just as any fyi:

Ontario man fined $3.8K at land border crossing amid confusion over who's 'essential'
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/border-ticket-tunnel-quarantine-act-1.5926311
Frequency of crossing, it said, now affects whether one is exempt.
The traveller must cross the border regularly to go to their normal place of employment and demonstrate a regular pattern of travel, which is generally defined as daily or weekly. The nature of their work does not impact this assessment."

canadapr1982

Jul 17, 2017
What is the confusion about the test? Why don't you find a place in Detroit and do the test to return back? Very serious consequences in Canada side if you don't have a test done.
Do we need pcr or rapid test because pcr take 24 hours to get the report and rapid test will take 15 minutes? If pcr, then atleast we have to stay in us for 1 day ☹. One more thing, last month i went us on feb 3 so i m confused when my 30 days is over either march 3, 4 or 5?

Last edited:

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Came across below article and posting here just as any fyi:

Ontario man fined $3.8K at land border crossing amid confusion over who's 'essential'
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/border-ticket-tunnel-quarantine-act-1.5926311
Frequency of crossing, it said, now affects whether one is exempt.
The traveller must cross the border regularly to go to their normal place of employment and demonstrate a regular pattern of travel, which is generally defined as daily or weekly. The nature of their work does not impact this assessment."
I have been saying this from the beginning. If we commit to go daily or weekly, we are exempt. Period.

Some people here kept on arguing pointlessly that they are exempting only essential workers like healthcare workers, and that they don't care about people who go to work in US which is not the case.

Unless they exempt anyone coming back within 72 hours for land borders, this is going to become counter productive as more people who wouldn't have traveled other wise would start traveling to avoid this testing mess. Since there is 72 hour leeway anyways for people and anyone getting infected with in that window could still carry negative tests, it makes sense to exempt them and subject only for test on arrival.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
*So here is my experience post New rules(monthly traveler) - Ny- Quebec border*

Reached US on 24th , took the test, waited for results(luckily got results pretty quick) and returned to Canada today. I didn't wanted to fill the ArriveCan app this time and ask if they can put me on the exempt list as i have been travelling once every 3 weeks. But i have decided to fill it at the last minute, like before 1 hour i reach the border(do not want to waste time with Covid stuff).

Officer at the Border: Just gave him my PR card(decided not to give him the test result till he asks for it).
Where are you coming from: work
Where do you work : told him
What is your company name: answered.
How long was your stay: 3 days
He closed the counter door and called someone to check something.
How often do you travel: Monthly once or twice and started telling him, can you please put me in the exempt list?( before i asked, seems like he confirmed with someone on call weather i can be exempted).
He said, yes, i am putting you as essential traveller and can i see any paper that you work in Us? I handed over him my i797.
so you stay 3 weeks in Canada and 3 days in US?
Me: Not exactly 3days but 1 to 3days,depends on my work.
3 weeks do you work from home?
Me: yes sir.
Then i told him, i also have the test results in case because they have the new rules. he took and just had a glance, you do not need this test results from now and also you need not to take test here at the border. you do not have to quarantine, but just wear the mask when you go out.
Carry this paper with you always, if in case any officer next time wants to confirm again, you should have this. !
Me: Ok Sir. i also have filled ArriveCan app.
Officer: no need, you do not need to fill that too.
Thanks and bye.

So after 5 months of my travel, i am not sure, they finally decided to put me on exempt list. may be got lucky this time, Not really sure if they gonna exempt next time. As you ppl already know, it totally depends on officer.

Goodluck All, with your tests and travel !

Last edited:
Reactions: canprofus

thedippaar

Oct 22, 2012
After reading this thread yesterday, I decided to make a trip before my 30days. I traveled into US this morning and got back via Queenston, ON. CBSA didn't ask for any covid test results; just gave my PR card and answered what I do for work in IT. My last trip was on Feb 5th and use AVR option into US. Prior to that, I used to travel once a month. Looks like I need to make weekly trips to avoid all these hassles and need to be prepared for on-arrival border test if they ask for.

canadapr1982

Jul 17, 2017
*So here is my experience post New rules(monthly traveler) - Ny- Quebec border*

Reached US on 24th , took the test, waited for results(luckily got results pretty quick) and returned to Canada today. I didn't wanted to fill the ArriveCan app this time and ask if they can put me on the exempt list as i have been travelling once every 3 weeks. But i have decided to fill it at the last minute, like before 1 hour i reach the border(do not want to waste time with Covid stuff).

Officer at the Border: Just gave him my PR card(decided not to give him the test result till he asks for it).
Where are you coming from: work
Where do you work : told him
What is your company name: answered.
How long was your stay: 3 days
He closed the counter door and called someone to check something.
How often do you travel: Monthly once or twice and started telling him, can you please put me in the exempt list?( before i asked, seems like he confirmed with someone on call weather i can be exempted).
He said, yes, i am putting you as essential traveller and can i see any paper that you work in Us? I handed over him my i797.
so you stay 3 weeks in Canada and 3 days in US?
Me: Not exactly 3days but 1 to 3days,depends on my work.
3 weeks do you work from home?
Me: yes sir.
Then i told him, i also have the test results in case because they have the new rules. he took and just had a glance, you do not need this test results from now and also you need not to take test here at the border. you do not have to quarantine, but just wear the mask when you go out.
Carry this paper with you always, if in case any officer next time wants to confirm again, you should have this. !
Me: Ok Sir. i also have filled ArriveCan app.
Officer: no need, you do not need to fill that too.
Thanks and bye.

So after 5 months of my travel, i am not sure, they finally decided to put me on exempt list. may be got lucky this time, Not really sure if they gonna exempt next time. As you ppl already know, it totally depends on officer.

Goodluck All, with your tests and travel !
Hello bro, where u went for pcr test in michigan? Do u got result same day?