+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Negative Coronavirus test required for cross Canada-US land border

jaysal

Apr 9, 2018
You will need to do your research about PCR testing in your area. The test must be done 72 hours before entering Canada or less. Your spouse can enter Canada to join you but she can not move to Canada with you. She can visit you in Canada. Are you moving all your belongings from the US? If so, that could be an issue.
I see your point that why my wife cannot travel with me because there is no clear documentation of my case. What do you think if I call the CBSA can they clarify?
Why moving stuff can be an issue?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I see your point that why my wife cannot travel with me because there is no clear documentation of my case. What do you think if I call the CBSA can they clarify?
Why moving stuff can be an issue?
Not sure what you are referring to when it comes to lack of documentation. On a TRV you can not move to Canada you can visit. CBSA can deny entry if they see that your spouse is moving to Canada. Nobody can anticipate what will happen at the border. You can call CBSA but I assume they will confirm that individuals with a TRV can not move to Canada.

jaysal

Apr 9, 2018
Not sure what you are referring to when it comes to lack of documentation. On a TRV you can not move to Canada you can visit. CBSA can deny entry if they see that your spouse is moving to Canada. Nobody can anticipate what will happen at the border. You can call CBSA but I assume they will confirm that individuals with a TRV can not move to Canada.
Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah, she is not moving permanently with me. After say 1 or 2 months, the plan is that she will move back to India. It is more like a visit only.

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Yes you are correct that at a land border a PR will be able to enter. PRs do not have the same rights to enter as citizens though and without a valid PR card would not be able to fly to Canada. The government is aware that there is an ever increasing number of people living in Canada while working in the US and many are not essential workers that would require them to be onsite. If people have chosen to work in the US there maybe sacrifices asked of them to protect those in Canada.
so can citizens enter without a passport in to Canada? it is just the same as that. for flight, travel document is compulsory for anyone. other than voting rights and mandatory residency requirements, PRs pretty much have same rights as that of citizens to enter and live in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah, she is not moving permanently with me. After say 1 or 2 months, the plan is that she will move back to India. It is more like a visit only.
If she already has a flight booked that would be excellent evidence that she is only visiting you. Also depends on what belongings you are moving to Canada. If CBSA sees a household of both your belongings that may be a concern for them. Some have had the PR move on their own. Nobody can predict what will happen at the border but would make sure you don't state that your spouse is moving to Canada although it will be pretty clear that she is.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
so can citizens enter without a passport in to Canada? it is just the same as that. for flight, travel document is compulsory for anyone. other than voting rights and mandatory residency requirements, PRs pretty much have same rights as that of citizens to enter and live in Canada.
Can't compare a PR card and a passport. They aren't equivalent travel documents.

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Can't compare a PR card and a passport. They aren't equivalent travel documents.
but tell us what extra privileges citizens have while entering Canada that is not available for PR holders.. both cannot be denied entry.. both need travel document to fly. what additional privilege do citizens have when it comes to entry?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
but tell us what extra privileges citizens have while entering Canada that is not available for PR holders.. both cannot be denied entry.. both need travel document to fly. what additional privilege do citizens have when it comes to entry?
Citizens only be allowed without denial and have rights to enter the country. This is universal in all countries.
Rights inside the country for PR is totally different from the right to enter the country.

Example: Visa ban in US made few GC people being booked while landing and returned. GC/PR has very very little right in entering the country.

If PR is same as citizen then why do you think we have a category called PR, they should have issued you a passport instead. So both are not equal in entering the country. canuck78 is correct.

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Citizens only be allowed without denial and have rights to enter the country. This is universal in all countries.
Rights inside the country for PR is totally different from the right to enter the country.

Example: Visa ban in US made few GC people being booked while landing and returned. GC/PR has very very little right in entering the country.

If PR is same as citizen then why do you think we have a category called PR, they should have issued you a passport instead. So both are not equal in entering the country. canuck78 is correct.
I said there are no differences when it comes to entry, not in general sense. I mentioned it only from entering Canada perspective. Of course there are differences between both.. PRs don't have voting rights, cannot run in politics, and are obliged by residency conditions... these are very big differences between PR and citizens. your statement "very very little right" is absolutely not true at least w.r.t Canada. PRs have full rights to enter the country.. that's why even people who don't meet RO are being let in after reported. Even Canadian government website lists only voting rights, clearance and RO as main difference between PR and citizens..

What permanent residents cannot do
You are not allowed to:
  • vote or run for political office,
  • hold some jobs that need a high-level security clearance.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html

If you have anything that says anything different between PRs and citizens from entry perspective, please post it here. Also, just watch JT interview yesterday.. he clearly says they cannot deny entry to citizens and PRs legally.

also, I don't understand why you are bringing GC here.. US has different set of requirements and privileges to their permanent residents.. we were discussing about Canada.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Yes you are correct that at a land border a PR will be able to enter. PRs do not have the same rights to enter as citizens though and without a valid PR card would not be able to fly to Canada. The government is aware that there is an ever increasing number of people living in Canada while working in the US and many are not essential workers that would require them to be onsite. If people have chosen to work in the US there maybe sacrifices asked of them to protect those in Canada.
Ok, if we/Mr. prime minister worried about is the health of our families or elderly(according to his routine speech). But i do not get the point what is he actually worried about? Is it people travelling daily to US are safe from virus and comeback here and do not spread it here asymptomatically or is it the people who travel once a month and do their quarantine part and are actually contributing to the safety of fellow canadians? Yes, ofcourse i am a monthly commuter but the measures he is taking are utterly BS scaring people with fines and torturing them mentally.

Last edited:

jaysal

Apr 9, 2018
If she already has a flight booked that would be excellent evidence that she is only visiting you. Also depends on what belongings you are moving to Canada. If CBSA sees a household of both your belongings that may be a concern for them. Some have had the PR move on their own. Nobody can predict what will happen at the border but would make sure you don't state that your spouse is moving to Canada although it will be pretty clear that she is.
Just wanted to update what I heard from the CBSA helpline. I called them twice to see how different officers might react to the scenario. I explained my situation that I am PR but my wife has a visitor visa and she will be in the same car with me, is that a problem? Both officers said the same thing that it is not a problem as long as she can prove that she is an immediate family member(spouse in this case).
The first officer gave a list of things my wife has to carry/declare while she is at the border, which we kind of know already:
1. Negative Covid test result
2. Proof of relationship with me(Marriage Certificate)(She will carry the last 2 years of rental lease agreements as well where both of us are there)
3. Copy of my PR card
4. At least 15 days of stay she has to mention(Quarantine plan)

The second officer went into more details about my PR. He asked me all the details about when did I become PR, when is it expiring. I think he was assessing if I know the PR terms. When I asked him about my wife travelling with me on a visitor visa in the same car, he was not concerned. He also said the same things the first officer said that negative Covid result, marriage certificate, my PR copy etc is required. He even went on to say that once your spouse is talking to an officer, she can mention that she is moving with you and officer can give her visitor record which will allow her to stay more than 6 months while I apply for her PR/work permit. I did not ask this question but he explained this to me in a very nice way. It feels as if this was a very normal case for them. I asked again that but on visitor visa you can only stay a max of 6 months in one go but he again said that you will have to apply for inland sponsorship so you will need extended stay for your wife.
I know things can be different once we are at the border but talking to the border officers made me feel a little relaxed.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just wanted to update what I heard from the CBSA helpline. I called them twice to see how different officers might react to the scenario. I explained my situation that I am PR but my wife has a visitor visa and she will be in the same car with me, is that a problem? Both officers said the same thing that it is not a problem as long as she can prove that she is an immediate family member(spouse in this case).
The first officer gave a list of things my wife has to carry/declare while she is at the border, which we kind of know already:
1. Negative Covid test result
2. Proof of relationship with me(Marriage Certificate)(She will carry the last 2 years of rental lease agreements as well where both of us are there)
3. Copy of my PR card
4. At least 15 days of stay she has to mention(Quarantine plan)

The second officer went into more details about my PR. He asked me all the details about when did I become PR, when is it expiring. I think he was assessing if I know the PR terms. When I asked him about my wife travelling with me on a visitor visa in the same car, he was not concerned. He also said the same things the first officer said that negative Covid result, marriage certificate, my PR copy etc is required. He even went on to say that once your spouse is talking to an officer, she can mention that she is moving with you and officer can give her visitor record which will allow her to stay more than 6 months while I apply for her PR/work permit. I did not ask this question but he explained this to me in a very nice way. It feels as if this was a very normal case for them. I asked again that but on visitor visa you can only stay a max of 6 months in one go but he again said that you will have to apply for inland sponsorship so you will need extended stay for your wife.
I know things can be different once we are at the border but talking to the border officers made me feel a little relaxed.
As said it is up to the officer's discretion. Other officers have questioned people and asked for proof of residences for the visitor and proof they will be returning home. Most couples I know have had the PR move their stuff alone and have their spouse enter separately. Based on the actual terms of a TRV your spouse can't move to Canada. She can visit for 6 months. I have never heard of any border official offering to give more than 6 months when a spouse enters with a citizen or PR. You don't seem to have mentioned that you will be travelling with the contents of your own home. Are you importing cars? In her name? The issues usually start due to moving all of your items from the US to Canada. Wish you the best of luck but you can't guarantee what will happen at the border. Perhaps they are being nicer because of covid.

jaysal

Apr 9, 2018
As said it is up to the officer's discretion. Other officers have questioned people and asked for proof of residences for the visitor and proof they will be returning home. Most couples I know have had the PR move their stuff alone and have their spouse enter separately. Based on the actual terms of a TRV your spouse can't move to Canada. She can visit for 6 months. I have never heard of any border official offering to give more than 6 months when a spouse enters with a citizen or PR. You don't seem to have mentioned that you will be travelling with the contents of your own home. Are you importing cars? In her name? The issues usually start due to moving all of your items from the US to Canada. Wish you the best of luck but you can't guarantee what will happen at the border. Perhaps they are being nicer because of covid.
I know it is up to the officer's discretion.
I know a Visitor visa is not for moving to Canada but I am telling what the CBSA helpline officer told me.
I did mention that I am moving my stuff from the USA to Canada. Officer mentioned you will be considered a former resident because I am a PR and it has been more than a year that I am outside Canada.
I am importing my car and that is in my name, not my spouse. And even other stuff is on my name.
I know nobody can guarantee what happens at the border.