+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Negative Coronavirus test required for cross Canada-US land border

nvap23

Star Member
Apr 19, 2020
Canada is extending the requirement for travellers to provide a negative COVID-19 test to land border crossers as early as Feb. 15.
Travellers who come to the border without showing proof of a negative COVID-19 test could be refused entry or face fines of up to $3,000.

CIC New Link:
https://www.cicnews.com/2021/02/negative-coronavirus-test-required-for-travellers-crossing-canada-u-s-land-border-0217115.html#gs.sjexh1

Does anyone have more information if it is applicable to cross-border workers and/or essential workers?

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
my educated guess is if you commute daily or once a week, they will exempt you from the test like how get exempted from quarantine. but if you travel once a month or infrequently and have been asked to quarantine with trip, you will be asked for test with every test as well.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Canada is extending the requirement for travellers to provide a negative COVID-19 test to land border crossers as early as Feb. 15.
Travellers who come to the border without showing proof of a negative COVID-19 test could be refused entry or face fines of up to $3,000.

CIC New Link:
https://www.cicnews.com/2021/02/negative-coronavirus-test-required-for-travellers-crossing-canada-u-s-land-border-0217115.html#gs.sjexh1

Does anyone have more information if it is applicable to cross-border workers and/or essential workers?
It seems like it will apply to non-essential travelers.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Are there people commuting? Even before this order, they were already asking for 14 day quarantine plans and there is no way a daily or weekly commuter can quarantine for 14 days.
They have made an exception for frequent travelers like truckers, but only because they maintain supply of goods flowing. This would not apply to people who commute to maintain their PR status/qualify for Citizenship while working typical 9 to 5 IT type jobs.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Are there people commuting? Even before this order, they were already asking for 14 day quarantine plans and there is no way a daily or weekly commuter can quarantine for 14 days.
They have made an exception for frequent travelers like truckers, but only because they maintain supply of goods flowing. This would not apply to people who commute to maintain their PR status/qualify for Citizenship while working typical 9 to 5 IT type jobs.
No quarantine if we go weekly once at least. So surely commuters will get exemption.
Also I think that it wont matter if we work in essential/nonessential but would get exemption if we go once a week as they dont restrict anything on essential/nonessential jobs currently. I expect no change for commuters and no test for returning residents. Will see how they implement.

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
yes, people have been commuting.. even the ones who work in IT have been commuting without quarantine as long as they travel daily or once a week. they have been allowing people who do 'essential travel' and most people have misunderstood it as 'essential worker' travel. traveling to work is people's livelihood and they cannot make people lose jobs by restricting them.. if someone needs to go in to work, they need to go regardless of sector they work and CBSA cannot question why they travel to work. it is essential travel for that person. they only thing they insist to be exempt from quarantine is weekly or daily travel, nothing else.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
yes, people have been commuting.. even the ones who work in IT have been commuting without quarantine as long as they travel daily or once a week. they have been allowing people who do 'essential travel' and most people have misunderstood it as 'essential worker' travel. traveling to work is people's livelihood and they cannot make people lose jobs by restricting them.. if someone needs to go in to work, they need to go regardless of sector they work and CBSA cannot question why they travel to work. it is essential travel for that person. they only thing they insist to be exempt from quarantine is weekly or daily travel, nothing else.
This is incorrect. Canada can limit travel for non-citizens at it's borders. People commuting to the US for work while a PR while primarily paying US taxes would not get much sympathy from Canadians who are living under lockdown. It is impossible to know if the border will become more strict about what is determined to be essential travel. There are some who are commuting who would be able to do their virtually. The Ontario knows the US border is very porous and the US is doing very minimal testing of the variant. Anyone commuting to the US should minimize any movement when they return to protect people in their own community.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
I didn't mean to belittle your job, I do the same kind of 9 to 5 job. They have mentioned allowing truckers to keep the goods flowing specifically in the news about this most recent order. That's why I mentioned that.

Also, btw I am sure they can restrict you if they deem that your actions are a risk to public health.

Reactions: YVR123

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
I didn't mean to belittle your job, I do the same kind of 9 to 5 job. They have mentioned allowing truckers to keep the goods flowing specifically in the news about this most recent order. That's why I mentioned that.

Also, btw I am sure they can restrict you if they deem that your actions are a risk to public health.
it's not about me. I was just saying what is currently happening.

also, they cannot restrict PR holders from entering, but can only fine them. JT clearly said in yesterday's press meet that they cannot legally stop PRs and citizens from entering, but can impose fines up to 3000 for the people without tests.

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
This is incorrect. Canada can limit travel for non-citizens at it's borders. People commuting to the US for work while a PR while primarily paying US taxes would not get much sympathy from Canadians who are living under lockdown. It is impossible to know if the border will become more strict about what is determined to be essential travel. There are some who are commuting who would be able to do their virtually. The Ontario knows the US border is very porous and the US is doing very minimal testing of the variant. Anyone commuting to the US should minimize any movement when they return to protect people in their own community.
PRs and citizens enjoy same rights to enter and live in Canada. Legally it is not possible to limit PRs from entering.. listen to what JT spoke yesterday in his press meet.. he clearly says it is not possible to restrict PRs and citizens legally, but would impose fines if they show up without tests.

jaysal

Apr 9, 2018
Hi,
I am a Canada PR working in the US but moving to Canada on March 4th permanently. My wife is not a PR and has a Canadian visitor visa living with me on the dependent visa(H4). As immediate family members are allowed for family reunification so that means she can travel with me through the land border. Till yesterday, I was quite relaxed that we don't need the Covid test.
Now, I have questions like:
1. Do we need a test for both me(PR) and my wife(visitor family reunification)?
2. How much time does it take for PCR to get? I am hearing different times(24 hours - 36 hours to 10 days). It will make things very difficult to manage.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
PRs and citizens enjoy same rights to enter and live in Canada. Legally it is not possible to limit PRs from entering.. listen to what JT spoke yesterday in his press meet.. he clearly says it is not possible to restrict PRs and citizens legally, but would impose fines if they show up without tests.
Yes you are correct that at a land border a PR will be able to enter. PRs do not have the same rights to enter as citizens though and without a valid PR card would not be able to fly to Canada. The government is aware that there is an ever increasing number of people living in Canada while working in the US and many are not essential workers that would require them to be onsite. If people have chosen to work in the US there maybe sacrifices asked of them to protect those in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
I am a Canada PR working in the US but moving to Canada on March 4th permanently. My wife is not a PR and has a Canadian visitor visa living with me on the dependent visa(H4). As immediate family members are allowed for family reunification so that means she can travel with me through the land border. Till yesterday, I was quite relaxed that we don't need the Covid test.
Now, I have questions like:
1. Do we need a test for both me(PR) and my wife(visitor family reunification)?
2. How much time does it take for PCR to get? I am hearing different times(24 hours - 36 hours to 10 days). It will make things very difficult to manage.
You will need to do your research about PCR testing in your area. The test must be done 72 hours before entering Canada or less. Your spouse can enter Canada to join you but she can not move to Canada with you. She can visit you in Canada. Are you moving all your belongings from the US? If so, that could be an issue.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

I agree. It's not about PR or citizen. It's about if the travel is essential or not. If someone can work from home but they just want to commute for other reason (keep the pattern so they do not need to quaratine), I think that's a loop-hole of how CBSA apply the exemption of "essential travel".

Reactions: swan0206