+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need your input on my RQ

cadvis

Star Member
Mar 23, 2013
I wanted your feedback on my case...

I applied for my canadian citizenship in March 2012. called for exam in march 2013. While interview I got an RQ and my family got the date for oath same day.

My situation is :

• came to Canada on PR in 2008 from USA
  • Tried to find a job here but did not find anything equivalent to what I had in US. So I retained my job in US but I am working remotely from canada
  • I was traveling to USA frequently but I met the obligation of 1095 days in 4 years
  • The main reason I moved to canada to settle down here but I did not find the right job I wanted here. But meantime my family got well adjusted here and so bought a home and other things to live life here. I start a business here on which I am still working on and yet to make any money
  • I still work for my US employer and I got my green card through them last year. Though I still have my family here, I am traveling back and forth a lot
  • Since I got an RQ, I feel like moving back to US. But my family wants to live here because of the social life

I do like canada for its social life (though healthcare sucks). I am submitting my RQ papers tomorrow (total 200+ pages package). When I lived here I legally filed and payed taxes and also contributed to the community here in many ways. I am sending all those evidences along with my RQ.

What do you think of the possibility of my case going through? Do you think my green card will work against?

On of the reason I moved to canada is because once I get my citizenship I can bring my extended family here. But if my case is going to take another 48 months, i am not sure it is worth waiting for given my current situation. Please advise..

drakeferna

Mar 28, 2013
did you get your PR status through skilled worker or family reunion category? I assume that you were on H-1 visa when you landed as a PR since you only got ur US PR status very recently? Did you terminate your job before landing? Or you simply took some days off from work to complete the landing process and then returned to the US to continue working on the same job?

egyo

Apr 24, 2012
I believe that you can't combine the Canadian PR along with the American green card and if the US or Canada know about it, they will ask you to choose one of them to keep!

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Cadvis,

Thanks for the details in the very first post here. I have a details question. Does Case A or Case B apply to you. Based on that, see two more questions after that...

Case A ---> Did you land here initially in 2008 and then leave Canada for a period of time (doesnt matter if 6 mos, 1 year or more) AND ONLY THEN move back to live here like say in 2009, for example.

OR

Case B ---> Did you land and basically live here after landing so that there was no gap like in Case A between initial landing and then moving here to live from the US.

My Questions:

Q1---> Does your RQ cover strictly only the last 4 years of your citizenship application (normally the period on RQ when Case B applies to you) OR Does your RQ go back 4 years plus - i.e. from first time you landed ? (i.e. Case A applies to you);

Q2---> Did you ADDITIONALLY ALSO include US credit card and Bank info./ printouts as well (especially if Case A applied where there was a gap btwn landing in 2008 and your finally moving to live here (if that was the case?);

Really appreciate your answers to Q1 and Q2 and anything else you provided to make your RQ file comprehensive and strong ?

Thanks buddy !

cadvis

Star Member
Mar 23, 2013
To answer the questions, I landed in 2006 and started to live in 2008. I was holding H1B until last year and now I have a green card. From 2008 I am living in canada with frequent visits to USA. These day I travel every week. When I applied for citizenship I have over 1095 days stay in canada. The documents I submitted are all documents proving my residency in canada - Rental receipt in canada for first year, home purchase in canada second year, mortgage documents, property tax, life insurance, auto insurance, home insurance, bank statements (for all years of residency), tax assessment, etc... All documents are pertaining my stay in canada, not USA. After I established residency in Canada, only I had job and salary in US of course I paid US and Canada tax legally.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Got it !

Thanks.... so although you may (or likely have) US Bank a/c and maybe credit card or two you did not additionally provide US related cr. card and Bank statement info in the huge RQ package since what is critical is the Canada side of the story ?

I am guessing you did not completely close out US cards/accounts especially in this very global connected world we live in where a lot of international travel is involved. So going back to my point, with all of what was just said, you stuck to the CDN side of capturing your time. YES ?

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
cadvis said:
To answer the questions, I landed in 2006 and started to live in 2008. I was holding H1B until last year and now I have a green card. From 2008 I am living in canada with frequent visits to USA. These day I travel every week. When I applied for citizenship I have over 1095 days stay in canada. The documents I submitted are all documents proving my residency in canada - Rental receipt in canada for first year, home purchase in canada second year, mortgage documents, property tax, life insurance, auto insurance, home insurance, bank statements (for all years of residency), tax assessment, etc... All documents are pertaining my stay in canada, not USA. After I established residency in Canada, only I had job and salary in US of course I paid US and Canada tax legally.
How you manage 1095 days out of 4 years when you were working in US, you commute daily to US and come back.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
cadvis,

When you filled RQ, did you put together RQ docs for the period 2012-2008 (when you moved to live here)

OR

2012 - all the way back to 2006 (when you first landed) ?

Thanks !

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I feel your case will go through. You fulfilled the requirements as stipulated by law. It might only take a while for the processing.

cadvis

Star Member
Mar 23, 2013
us2yow said:
cadvis,

When you filled RQ, did you put together RQ docs for the period 2012-2008 (when you moved to live here)

OR

2012 - all the way back to 2006 (when you first landed) ?

Thanks !
They care only from 2008 to 2012... but my mortage, life insurance , auto insurance I submitted latest one..

Alabaman said:
I feel your case will go through. You fulfilled the requirements as stipulated by law. It might only take a while for the processing.
I guess so too.. but I am not really sure it is worth waiting 48 months...