+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need valid passport

Reddude19

Feb 13, 2016
Dear all,

I applied to sponsor my wife , there was no issues with her sponsorship application , but for her work permit they are asking for a valid passport , and her passport expires on 24 Jan 2018 , and she is unable to renew her passport as there is no embassy in Canada or USA , and her passport is Syrian , and she does not have anyone in Syria to renew her passport , we tried to contact the Syrian consulate in Vancouver , but they informed us they do not renew passports , we would have to go to venzula , so in addition we need to extend her visit visa stay in Canada in order to issue the work permit, so I am not sure what to do in this case. Anyone experience this?

Reddude19

Feb 13, 2016
PS we received a UCI number for both the open work permit and the sponsorship , but they sent us a letter for the open work permit requested an updated passport.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
She must have a valid passport for both the work permit as well as to get app approved for PR. Without a passport, she can never get PR status. As far as I know there are no exceptions to this rule.

So you must investigate and do whatever you can do get her a new passport. Unfortunately I can't help specifically with the problems you're encountering with Syrian passport. I would continue to search online and call to see what you can do.

Tonny1987

Jan 2, 2018
Hello,

I'm going through the exact same process. I emailed sawsan@honoraryconsulforsyriainbc.c, Mrs Sawsan A. Habbal, Honorary Consul. The suggestions she gave me was not helpful because my wife does not have anyone in syria to renew it. Please inform if you find a way to sponsor her without renewing the syrian passport.

Dear all,

I applied to sponsor my wife , there was no issues with her sponsorship application , but for her work permit they are asking for a valid passport , and her passport expires on 24 Jan 2018 , and she is unable to renew her passport as there is no embassy in Canada or USA , and her passport is Syrian , and she does not have anyone in Syria to renew her passport , we tried to contact the Syrian consulate in Vancouver , but they informed us they do not renew passports , we would have to go to venzula , so in addition we need to extend her visit visa stay in Canada in order to issue the work permit, so I am not sure what to do in this case. Anyone experience this?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I don't believe there are any exceptions to the rule. She must be holding a valid passport to apply for PR.

My understanding is that there are "fixers" (not sure if that's the right term) in Syria who you can pay to help to get your passport renewed. Have you looked into this yet?

Tonny1987

Jan 2, 2018
I don't believe there are any exceptions to the rule. She must be holding a valid passport to apply for PR.

My understanding is that there are "fixers" (not sure if that's the right term) in Syria who you can pay to help to get your passport renewed. Have you looked into this yet?
We tried every way possible, we even tried to offer a high tip to have someone renew it inside Syria, no one has agreed to renew it. Does a US travel document consider a valid passport?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We tried every way possible, we even tried to offer a high tip to have someone renew it inside Syria, no one has agreed to renew it. Does a US travel document consider a valid passport?
What kind of US travel document? A passport certainly would. Anything else - I don't believe so.