+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Urgent Info on my case..Please guide me

snowlion

Sep 27, 2010
Hi Everybody,

My story goes like this. I used to work and study in US. I have US green card. My long time girlfriend live in Canada and she got PR. These days I am living with her in Canada though I can't live too long which will risk my GC. So only option we have is to get legally married and she will sponsor me. However, here comes the problem. She already sponsor her ex-husband earlier and accordling to what I heard, she is not eligible to sponsor me until THREE YEARS had not passed since her ex-husband become PR.

I can't live with her in Canada for that long, which will definately risk my GC and my future in US. So, guys..do you have any idea or info about how can I immigrate to Canada.

Snowlion

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
snowlion said:
Hi Everybody,

My story goes like this. I used to work and study in US. I have US green card. My long time girlfriend live in Canada and she got PR. These days I am living with her in Canada though I can't live too long which will risk my GC. So only option we have is to get legally married and she will sponsor me. However, here comes the problem. She already sponsor her ex-husband earlier and accordling to what I heard, she is not eligible to sponsor me until THREE YEARS had not passed since her ex-husband become PR.

I can't live with her in Canada for that long, which will definately risk my GC and my future in US. So, guys..do you have any idea or info about how can I immigrate to Canada.

Snowlion
That's correct. She is bound by the previous undertaking and can only sponsor you after the undertaking is completed which is 3 years from the date her former spouse became a PR. The only thing you can do is wait or see if you qualify to immigrate under another program such as Federal Skilled Worker.

snowlion

Sep 27, 2010
I also heard that if US greencard holder stay in Canada for certain period of time, he/she will get PR some how. Is it true..??

snowlion

Sep 27, 2010
How about court marriage..?? Even though she can't sponsor me for THREE years as per immigration laws but how about court marriage.? Is she eligible for court marraige..? Please advise..Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Assuming she is divorced, you are free to marry her in any way you would like (i.e. court marriage, church marriage, etc.).

However no matter where or how you get married, she still won't be able to sponsor you for the three year period.