+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need urgent help

Smithlee9019

Star Member
Apr 2, 2019
applied refugee on 2018 Toronto
2019 April approved.
I was on welfare no job meanwhile. But welfare manager said when I arrived new that I have to file tax after 18 months. Now I am going to apply my PR and health card, I want to know do I have to file tax or later. After 5 days I will be 1 year in Canada. Thanks

Jan 10, 2017
Congratulations!!!
You need to file tax before May 2019 and you have been told wrong thing that you need to file tax after 1 year and 6 months. I came to Canada in 2018 and I already submitted my tax return, don't delayed it because otherwise you have pay penalty for late submission.

Reactions: canuck78

Smithlee9019

Star Member
Apr 2, 2019
Only 8 month I drive Uber because my family is big and I have so many expenses the welfare paid its goes to my rent only.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I never had any employer just I work for Uber.
Uber is an employer and you work for them as a private contractor. I hope you are reporting your income to the welfare department. It doesn't sound like you have been paying tax on your Uber income so you may be in for a surprise payment.

Smithlee9019

Star Member
Apr 2, 2019
I have done Uber 8 months only I was been told by my friend Uber doesn’t count as job profile so income is less since I work less.

But someone told I have to file tax from here I start thinking what she’ll I do ?

Do I need to tell welfare about Uber also ? It’s not a job it’s like taxi driver, I am by profession mechanical engineer but don’t have Canadian diploma that why I was doing part time not full time. I am really confused now don’t no what to do where to go ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unless you are driving Uber for free of course it is a job. Yes you need to notify welfare of any income you are making and yes you will have to file taxes like every Canadian and pay taxes because you are operating an independent contractor. Follow the instructions in the post I linked.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
UBER is a job....you friends are foolish to tell you otherwise. You need to file your taxes. UBER will have already sent their I formation about how much you worked to CRA. If you do t file on time, CRA will charge you interest at first, and if you continue not to file, will ultimately fine you for non payment. You never want to have CRA coming after you for your taxes. They have significant power and can seize your bank account for non payment.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So now file tax first or informed welfare first
You should inform welfare as soon as possible. Fortunate not to have had to depend on welfare but was under the impression that you had to show that you were actively looking for employment every month and that there had been no changes in your employment status.