Mississauga/Rome
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2015
LANDED..........
waiting eagerly!
Hi!

Some basic information on my case first of all.
I am from Malta, Europe. I got married to a Canadian citizen in Canada, last March. About two weeks ago we submitted our sponsorship/for my permanent residence in Canada.

I just came back to Malta now, and have registered our marriage here, and I have now added his last name to my last name.

My National ID Card as well as my passport state that my name is still my maiden name. But I would like to change these documents so that I can officially be called with my new last name.

My dilemma is this, In April 2015, when I submitted my application, I never stated that my name has his last name. And all the other documents that I had to show like passport, read my maiden name as my official name.

If I do change my documents now, will this affact my application?

Can someone please provide me with information or ideas on what I should do?

Thanks in advance.
Jeanelle.

marlasinger

Star Member
Jul 10, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2014
Doc's Request.
16-07-2014
AOR Received.
14-03-2014
File Transfer...
18-03-2014
Med's Done....
13-01-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
23-10-2014 Decision Made..:29-12-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2014
LANDED..........
29-01-2015
Others can add to this, and correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that you have two options:

1. If you wish to go by your married name legally in Canada - have it listed on your COPR and PR card at the time of your application being totally processed - then you should update your documents now and send new copies to CIC, telling them about the change. Doing so may cause some delays. May.

or..

2. Wait until the application is processed to avoid potential delays, but your COPR and your PR card will be issued using the name on your application. After getting your PR card you can request a reissue with the name change, but you'll have to pay the fee for it.

Before deciding what to do, you should then look up if your intended province allows a driver's license and health card to be issued under your married name using supporting documents, like your marriage certificate (you can do this for a SIN card), or if they would have to be issued under the COPR name. Depending on the answer, you might wish to just reissue your PR card and wait on making a name change until after you've landed. Totally up to you.

draxz1289

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October/28/2014
AOR Received.
Feb/04/2015, IP Since Feb/04/2015
File Transfer...
Jan/19/2015
Med's Request
Re-Medicals - Sept/23/2015
Med's Done....
Sept/04/2014
Passport Req..
Jan/18/2016
VISA ISSUED...
Oct/09/2015
LANDED..........
Feb/05/2016
marlasinger said:
Others can add to this, and correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that you have two options:

1. If you wish to go by your married name legally in Canada - have it listed on your COPR and PR card at the time of your application being totally processed - then you should update your documents now and send new copies to CIC, telling them about the change. Doing so may cause some delays. May.

or..

2. Wait until the application is processed to avoid potential delays, but your COPR and your PR card will be issued using the name on your application. After getting your PR card you can request a reissue with the name change, but you'll have to pay the fee for it.

Before deciding what to do, you should then look up if your intended province allows a driver's license and health card to be issued under your married name using supporting documents, like your marriage certificate (you can do this for a SIN card), or if they would have to be issued under the COPR name. Depending on the answer, you might wish to just reissue your PR card and wait on making a name change until after you've landed. Totally up to you.

I would suggest option 2 from MrsGanna personally because there isnt a requirement for a partner to change their names after marriage so you can just wait till you get your PR then make the name change and then go about changing all your other documents if you got them before the change. I would presume that updating your name on your application now might (BIG MIGHT) cause a slight delay but others can chime in