+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need to travel to India immediately after canada citizenship Oath

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
ok, this is what I found now at https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/surrender-certificate/

Even after acquiring the Canadian citizenship, the Indian passport can be used to travel for 3 months from the day of getting the Canadian citizenship. The grace period is only for such cases where foreign citizenship has been acquired but a foreign passport is not available to the person. It is also mentioned that it is illegal to travel on an Indian passport, where a person has obtained a foreign passport.
Yup, I've seen that. But people who want to fly to India soon after their oath have 2 options :

1. Use the Dubai option which is in the grey area
2. Try to get an entry visa (I heard this is being issued only for emergencies because of COVID)
3. Postpone the trip

Its up to the person to choose. I personally wouldn't choose option 1 unless I MUST travel because of a genuine emergency. It is important to plan your travel beforehand once you receive an oath invitation. Unless it is an emergency, do not travel to India without a passport and OCI.

That option was provided to explore the possibility, do your due diligence and then decide if you want to travel that way.

Reactions: ManZZ

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Yup, I've seen that. But people who want to fly to India soon after their oath have 2 options :

1. Use the Dubai option which is in the grey area
2. Try to get an entry visa (I heard this is being issued only for emergencies because of COVID)
3. Postpone the trip

Its up to the person to choose. I personally wouldn't choose option 1 unless I MUST travel because of a genuine emergency. It is important to plan your travel beforehand once you receive an oath invitation. Unless it is an emergency, do not travel to India without a passport and OCI.

That option was provided to explore the possibility, do your due diligence and then decide if you want to travel that way.
That Dubai loophole always looked dicey and very grey to me even though theoretically makes sense and is plausible. Concern is immigration authorities figuring out something later on.

Best take an an entry visa folks. Last resort: delaying the oath. It maybe a bitter pill to swallow but depending on your situation have to weigh what is more important.

Last edited:

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
That Dubai loophole always looked dicey and very grey to me even though theoretically makes sense and is plausible. Concern is immigration authorities figuring out something later on.

Best take an an entry visa folks. Last resort: delaying the oath. It maybe a bitter pill to swallow but depending on your situation have to weigh what is more important.
I wouldn't recommend postponing oath unless there is a grave emergency and you must travel. The applications are piling up in hundreds of thousands and if they postpone oath, there is no assurance they'll get another date in the near future. I wouldn't recommend postponing the oath unless the applicant is in a coma and can't recite the oath or there is a serious family emergency (like, God forbid, death in the family). If it is a non-urgent trip/vacation, they can postpone the trip instead of oath IMO.

Reactions: lifein360

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
ok, so this is the only option

take oath > done
Get citizenship certificate > in process, I explained my situation, waiting for officer response, not sure how they will send it
>Travel to India on Indian passport - ok, this is clear
> Get Canadian Passport - where to get it? from India?
> Get a visa to Dubai on your Indian passport and travel to Dubai > When you are at Dubai, show your Canadian Passport and get a visa-on-arrival entry > if I am correct, for US B1/B2 visa holders then they will give on arrival visa
> Book a ticket from Dubai to Canada (Toronto, Vancouver etc) and fly to Canada on your Canadian Passport - since entered using Indian PP and can not use Indian pp to exit the country, so is this legitimate?
> Surrender your Indian passport and pay a penalty (approx $200) and apply for OCI - is there any issues while doing this?
Regarding the travel to Dubai on Indian passport with valid visa of US... I can chime in on that...
I visited twice and used the US visa on the Indian passport to get visa on arrival in Dubai (I have a B!/B2). But this was in 2017 and 2018 though...
Process is straight forward...

Here are some links:
https://www.uae-embassy.org/services-resources/visas-passports/non-us-citizens

https://www.emirates.com/ca/english/before-you-fly/visa-passport-information/uae-visa-information/#:~:text=As of 1 May 2017,days for a charge of

I though have a doubt on the following:
- Once you cancel the PR card upon your oath, and the reach the airport to fly out to UAE/India at the boarding counter they will ask for your PR card to ensure that you can return back.
- Not sure you can use the Indian passport even though technically it is valid, but is it the right thing to do?
- I am not sure if they will allow you to fly or not, because of the above.

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Regarding the travel to Dubai on Indian passport with valid visa of US... I can chime in on that...
I visited twice and used the US visa on the Indian passport to get visa on arrival in Dubai (I have a B!/B2). But this was in 2017 and 2018 though...
Process is straight forward...

Here are some links:
https://www.uae-embassy.org/services-resources/visas-passports/non-us-citizens

https://www.emirates.com/ca/english/before-you-fly/visa-passport-information/uae-visa-information/#:~:text=As of 1 May 2017,days for a charge of

I though have a doubt on the following:
- Once you cancel the PR card upon your oath, and the reach the airport to fly out to UAE/India at the boarding counter they will ask for your PR card to ensure that you can return back.
- Not sure you can use the Indian passport even though technically it is valid, but is it the right thing to do?
- I am not sure if they will allow you to fly or not, because of the above.
the way you’re supposed to do it is buy a ticket to Dubai and not Canada and show that in India at the counter. And hide the fact that you also have another ticket to Canada. The Indian immigration folks will think you’re only going to Dubai.

This is all very grey and risky lol

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
the way you’re supposed to do it is buy a ticket to Dubai and not Canada and show that in India at the counter. And hide the fact that you also have another ticket to Canada. The Indian immigration folks will think you’re only going to Dubai.

This is all very grey and risky lol
Thats a scenario if you are even allowed to travel from Canada to Dubai/India.

I am not sure if you are denied board at the Canadian airport as your PR card is cancelled and whether they still consider you to be a valid Indian citizen or a Canadian citizen

As I say it so clear as mud :)

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Thats a scenario if you are even allowed to travel from Canada to Dubai/India.

I am not sure if you are denied board at the Canadian airport as your PR card is cancelled and whether they still consider you to be a valid Indian citizen or a Canadian citizen

As I say it so clear as mud :)
Well Canada wouldnt bar you from boarding here if you present an indian passport right? Not sure they will say anything if you presented them a valid passport. The risk is on the passenger I guess

Last edited:
Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
Well Canada wouldnt bar you from boarding here if you present an indian passport right? Not sure they will say anything if you presented them a valid passport. The risk is on the passenger I guess
That is true. But I thought the rule is that when you leave Canada on Indian Passport you will have to enter using the same passport, isn't it? The exit and entry in any country has to be using the same passport? Only way could be when your tickets are separate for each leg. But I am not sure. Please check with embassies. They will be best people guide you rather than this forum. My 2 cents.

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
That is true. But I thought the rule is that when you leave Canada on Indian Passport you will have to enter using the same passport, isn't it? The exit and entry in any country has to be using the same passport? Only way could be when your tickets are separate for each leg. But I am not sure. Please check with embassies. They will be best people guide you rather than this forum. My 2 cents.
if you ask embassies they will flat out say no. This Dubai workaround is basically a untested loophole and a risky one at that.

Last edited:

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I don't think this is a problem. I mean, for example, if a UK citizen leaves Canada and carries their citizenship certificate with them to the UK, applies for a Canadian passport and then returns to Canada with their Canadian passport. This is a non-issue. Same goes for citizens of other countries as well, including India. Also, it is MANDATORY to carry a Canadian passport when returning to Canada for Canadian citizens irrespective of their dual/multiple citizenship status. So, doesn't matter which passport you exit Canada with, you will ALWAYS return with your Canadian Passport if you are a Canadian citizen!

Reactions: lifein360

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I don't think this is a problem. I mean, for example, if a UK citizen leaves Canada and carries their citizenship certificate with them to the UK, applies for a Canadian passport and then returns to Canada with their Canadian passport. This is a non-issue. Same goes for citizens of other countries as well, including India. Also, it is MANDATORY to carry a Canadian passport when returning to Canada for Canadian citizens irrespective of their dual/multiple citizenship status. So, doesn't matter which passport you exit Canada with, you will ALWAYS return with your Canadian Passport if you are a Canadian citizen!
Hey Raj but in the case of India, dual nationality/citizenship is not allowed... either you are an Indian national or Canadian...

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
Ok, I see. Thanks.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hey Raj but in the case of India, dual nationality/citizenship is not allowed... either you are an Indian national or Canadian...
Yes. That is why we take advantage of the fact that you can use your Indian passport to travel before a Canadian passport is obtained (for a maximum of 3 months from the date of citizenship). The only rule you will be breaking is using your trip from India to Dubai (because at that point, you would have already obtained your Canadian passport) and hence that trip will carry a penalty.

Suh1756

Star Member
Mar 5, 2017
Yes. That is why we take advantage of the fact that you can use your Indian passport to travel before a Canadian passport is obtained (for a maximum of 3 months from the date of citizenship). The only rule you will be breaking is using your trip from India to Dubai (because at that point, you would have already obtained your Canadian passport) and hence that trip will carry a penalty.
I am in a very similar situation where I need to travel by the end of this month. Have my tickets booked for Dubai for Nov 29 and then a week later will be travelling to India. Now, here is what I think I will do.

1. If I get my citizenship certificate by Nov 29 will fly with it
2. Apply for Canadian Passport in Dubai. I have some family members in Dubai. Takes 20 business days as per the canada.ca << I hope this is allowed
3. Will fly to India on the Indian passport. Will be in India for 30 days.
4. Come back to Dubai, hopefully Canadian passport would be issued and be ready to be picked up
5. Fly back to Canada from Dubai on the Canadian passport

if everything works as I mentioned, will be a dream come true :D

Last edited:

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I am in a very similar situation where I need to travel by the end of this month. Have my tickets booked for Dubai for Nov 29 and then a week later will be travelling to India. Now, here is what I think I will do.

1. If I get my citizenship certificate by Nov 29 will fly with it
2. Apply for Canadian Passport in Dubai. I have some family members in Dubai. Takes 20 business days as per the canada.ca << I hope this is allowed
3. Will fly to India on the Indian passport. Will be in India for 30 days.
4. Come back to Dubai, hopefully Canadian passport would be issued and be ready to be picked up
5. Fly back to Canada from Dubai on the Canadian passport

if everything works as I mentioned, will be a dream come true :D
There is risk involved IMO.

The safest way is to apply for a Canadian passport + Entry visa to India and then travel. If this trip is not for an emergency, postponing it would be the best course of action.

There are some flaws in your plan. Entering a country with one passport and exiting it with another passport might invite trouble. When you are coming back, you will be entering Dubai with your Indian passport and leaving with your Canadian passport? That might cause problems. Usually, you enter and exit a country with the same passport.

Alternatively, you can apply for a Canadian passport in India but exit India with your Indian passport and head to Dubai. When you land in Dubai, show your Canadian passport and get visa free entry and then fly onward to Canada.

Another thing that might work is if someone can collect the Canadian passport in Dubai and mail it to your Indian address. That way, you can probably show your Indian passport when exiting to Indian immigration authorities but when you land in Dubai, you can get a visa-free entry with your Canadian passport. Once you enter Dubai with your Canadian passport, you can then exit and leave for Canada with the same passport.

Last edited: