+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need to travel to India immediately after canada citizenship Oath

ravi.v

Apr 1, 2020
Dear All

I just did citizenship oath and I need to travel to India. what are my options?

can I travel on my India passport? for coming back to Canada can I apply Canada passport from India (Canada embassy? nad travel with Canada passport? if I do this, do you see any issue??

any leads will be much appreciated

TIA
Ravi

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Dear All

can I travel on my India passport? for coming back to Canada can I apply Canada passport from India (Canada embassy? nad travel with Canada passport? if I do this, do you see any issue??

TIA
Ravi
You need to wait for your citizenship certificate to apply for a passport in a foreign embassy.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Dear All

TIA
Ravi
1. You have to wait for a citizenship certificate.
2. You can travel on an Indian passport to India but even if you apply and obtain a Canadian passport in an embassy in India, you cannot use that to exit the country. You'll have to exit India with the same passport you entered it AFAIK.

What you could possibly do is addressed here =>

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/rescheduling-the-oath-ceremony.746911/post-9756649

Last edited:
Reactions: kamy18

Can-On

May 5, 2020
Dear all,

I just came across and have a similar question.

Generally, Is it OK to leave Canada immediately after getting the Citizenship Certificate and then apply for the Canadian Passport at any Canadian Embassy abroad or we have have to wait in Canada to get the 1st Canadian Passport from inside and then leave.

Thank you!

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Thankyoy Raj, I just come across https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html#s1-1

since we have 3 month period to return indian PP, if I have to travel urgently can I travel on indian pp and whichle coming back can I show any valid id as per above?

regards
ravi
How do you plan to return to Canada without a PR card? That is the issue. What Raj suggested about going to Dubai seems like the only workaround. If you have a US or UK visit visa, you don't even need a visa before flying to Dubai.

Can-On

May 5, 2020
If you leave with the certificate you can apply for the passport in any Canadian consulate/mission abroad provided you carry your citizenship certificate. Also you will have to book an appointment with them etc - keep in mind the time and effort you have to invest abroad for that
Thank you for your help!

svk1520

Dec 25, 2017
1. You have to wait for a citizenship certificate.
2. You can travel on an Indian passport to India but even if you apply and obtain a Canadian passport in an embassy in India, you cannot use that to exit the country. You'll have to exit India with the same passport you entered it AFAIK.

What you could possibly do is addressed here =>

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/rescheduling-the-oath-ceremony.746911/post-9756649
Raj - do you know if there might be any issues if i leave Canada before receiving the letter and my friend Fedex that to my address in US? I know i can apply from US as per Cic website but I am thinking if the courier options is Advisable..

ravi.v

Apr 1, 2020
ok, so this is the only option

take oath > done
Get citizenship certificate > in process, I explained my situation, waiting for officer response, not sure how they will send it
>Travel to India on Indian passport - ok, this is clear
> Get Canadian Passport - where to get it? from India?
> Get a visa to Dubai on your Indian passport and travel to Dubai > When you are at Dubai, show your Canadian Passport and get a visa-on-arrival entry > if I am correct, for US B1/B2 visa holders then they will give on arrival visa
> Book a ticket from Dubai to Canada (Toronto, Vancouver etc) and fly to Canada on your Canadian Passport - since entered using Indian PP and can not use Indian pp to exit the country, so is this legitimate?
> Surrender your Indian passport and pay a penalty (approx $200) and apply for OCI - is there any issues while doing this?

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Thank you for your help!
Actually I am wrong - so even if you apply for canada passport in india, you cant use that to exit India if you entered with an Indian passport. So ignore me. What Raj said is the only way out I think

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
ok, so this is the only option

take oath > done
Get citizenship certificate > in process, I explained my situation, waiting for officer response, not sure how they will send it
>Travel to India on Indian passport - ok, this is clear
> Get Canadian Passport - where to get it? from India? ==> YES
> Get a visa to Dubai on your Indian passport and travel to Dubai > When you are at Dubai, show your Canadian Passport and get a visa-on-arrival entry > if I am correct, for US B1/B2 visa holders then they will give on arrival visa ===> YES
> Book a ticket from Dubai to Canada (Toronto, Vancouver etc) and fly to Canada on your Canadian Passport - since entered using Indian PP and can not use Indian pp to exit the country, so is this legitimate? ===> YOU ARE NOT EXITING INDIA ON A CANADIAN PASSPORT. YOU WILL EXIT INDIA ON YOUR INDIAN PASSPORT TO DUBAI. SO THIS IS OKAY. WHEN YOU REACH DUBAI, YOU SHOULD SHOW YOUR CANADIAN PASSPORT ON ENTRY, NOT YOUR INDIAN PASSPORT AND THEN, YOU WILL EXIT DUBAI WITH YOUR CANADIAN PASSPORT.
> Surrender your Indian passport and pay a penalty (approx $200) and apply for OCI - is there any issues while doing this? ===> THE ISSUE IS YOU WILL BE PAYING THE CAD 200 PENALTY.
Answered above in RED. Note that I haven't personally tried this nor do I need to (I already got OCI). I saw this somewhere on the forum and a friend of mine pointed it to me as well as she intends to do this because she has to travel to India kind of urgently.

ravi.v

Apr 1, 2020
> Get a visa to Dubai on your Indian passport and travel to Dubai > When you are at Dubai, show your Canadian Passport and get a visa-on-arrival entry >WHEN YOU REACH DUBAI, YOU SHOULD SHOW YOUR CANADIAN PASSPORT ON ENTRY, NOT YOUR INDIAN PASSPORT AND THEN, YOU WILL EXIT DUBAI WITH YOUR CANADIAN PASSPORT. - this is bit confusing, even though I have US B1/B2, I should get Dubai visa on Indian passport and in Dubai, show my Canadian passport to get a visa on arrival? (getting Dubai visa just to show officer in India and get exit using Indian passport?), also in Dubai they don't track/check exit stamp on Canadian PP?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
> Get a visa to Dubai on your Indian passport and travel to Dubai > When you are at Dubai, show your Canadian Passport and get a visa-on-arrival entry >WHEN YOU REACH DUBAI, YOU SHOULD SHOW YOUR CANADIAN PASSPORT ON ENTRY, NOT YOUR INDIAN PASSPORT AND THEN, YOU WILL EXIT DUBAI WITH YOUR CANADIAN PASSPORT. - this is bit confusing, even though I have US B1/B2, I should get Dubai visa on Indian passport and in Dubai, show my Canadian passport to get a visa on arrival? (getting Dubai visa just to show officer in India and get exit using Indian passport?), also in Dubai they don't track/check exit stamp on Canadian PP?
No, the Dubai visa on Indian passport is for people who do not have a US visa.

When you are seeking entry into Dubai, you will be seeking entry as a Canadian citizen, not as an Indian citizen. As long as you have a valid Canadian passport in your possession and preferably an onward ticket to Canada, there shouldn't be an issue in Dubai IMO.

This is just a tip from what I read and what someone pointed out to me and the original post is from 2018. So, do your due diligence.

Last edited:

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
And BTW, here's the original post on the forum =>

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/travelling-to-india-with-indian-and-canadian-passport.522920/post-7052795

ravi.v

Apr 1, 2020
ok, this is what I found now at https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/surrender-certificate/

Even after acquiring the Canadian citizenship, the Indian passport can be used to travel for 3 months from the day of getting the Canadian citizenship. The grace period is only for such cases where foreign citizenship has been acquired but a foreign passport is not available to the person. It is also mentioned that it is illegal to travel on an Indian passport, where a person has obtained a foreign passport.