+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need to take unpaid time off or resign while PR application in process, need advise

kaggarwa

Dec 30, 2020
My application is in progress since July 1. Due to covid not sure how long will it take for the decision.

I really need to visit my home country for a couple of months ASAP. I was wondering if I resign from my current job or take unpaid leave a for few months, will that impact my application in any way? My score was 483 and a minimum score at the time of my application was around 440. I've applied under CEC

I’d really appreciate it if there’s any suggestions, opinions, recommendations

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
My application is in progress since July 1. Due to covid not sure how long will it take for the decision.

I really need to visit my home country for a couple of months ASAP. I was wondering if I resign from my current job or take unpaid leave a for few months, will that impact my application in any way? My score was 483 and a minimum score at the time of my application was around 440. I've applied under CEC

I’d really appreciate it if there’s any suggestions, opinions, recommendations
Did you claim any points for offer of employment (50 points) with the same employer?

If so, that's an issue. Otherwise not.

kaggarwa

Dec 30, 2020
Did you claim any points for offer of employment (50 points) with the same employer?

If so, that's an issue. Otherwise not.
No, CRS Additional - Arranged Employment has 0 points.

Also, my PGWP expires in Feb 2021. If I leave before and don't apply for BOWP, will that be an issue?

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
No, CRS Additional - Arranged Employment has 0 points.

Also, my PGWP expires in Feb 2021. If I leave before and don't apply for BOWP, will that be an issue?
You don't need to apply, that's a choice you have. You won't be able to come back until you've become a a PR.

Also you could apply before you leave, but in order to re-enter the country you'll need a visa, which you need to apply for separately as a BOWP is just a permit not a visa. The visa you'll be able to get once the BOWP is approved. (assuming you come from a country that requires a visa to travel).

Read this: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/implied-status-extending-stay.html

Bottom line, you're free to leave and wait for for a decision on your PR application elsewhere. Make sure to update your contact information and address details as soon as you leave the country.

Reactions: kaggarwa

kaggarwa

Dec 30, 2020
You don't need to apply, that's a choice you have. You won't be able to come back until you've become a a PR.

Also you could apply before you leave, but in order to re-enter the country you'll need a visa, which you need to apply for separately as a BOWP is just a permit not a visa. The visa you'll be able to get once the BOWP is approved. (assuming you come from a country that requires a visa to travel).

Read this: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/implied-status-extending-stay.html

Bottom line, you're free to leave and wait for for a decision on your PR application elsewhere. Make sure to update your contact information and address details as soon as you leave the country.
Thanks for your response. If I leave, do I have to update my application that I am on unpaid leave?

kaggarwa

Dec 30, 2020
My PGWP is expiring in Feb 2021 and my PR application is in progress since Jul 2020. I've applied under CEC and I do not have any points under CRS Additional - Arranged Employment.

If I resign or take unpaid leave from my current job to back to my home country, will it have any impact on my application? A couple of things I am worried about are: will they consider my application as abandoned since I won't be in the country and I would have no status in Canada?

Will I need to update IRCC that I am on unpaid leave until my PR is approved?

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
My PGWP is expiring in Feb 2021 and my PR application is in progress since Jul 2020. I've applied under CEC and I do not have any points under CRS Additional - Arranged Employment.

If I resign or take unpaid leave from my current job to back to my home country, will it have any impact on my application? A couple of things I am worried about are: will they consider my application as abandoned since I won't be in the country and I would have no status in Canada?

Neither having status in Canada nor being presently working are requirements for PR.

Your PR application is based on past experience, not on your current situation.

If you were claiming points for arranged employment or if you were in Canada illegally (without status), then those things could play against you.

Leaving the country and waiting for a decision on your PR application is not against anything and you are free to do so if you wish to.

kaggarwa

Dec 30, 2020
Neither having status in Canada nor being presently working are requirements for PR.

Your PR application is based on past experience, not on your current situation.

If you were claiming points for arranged employment or if you were in Canada illegally (without status), then those things could play against you.

Leaving the country and waiting for a decision on your PR application is not against anything and you are free to do so if you wish to.
Thanks for the reply. A couple of follow up questions:
1. Can I apply for BOWP and then leave (while waiting for the approval)
2. What changes do I have to communicate to the IRCC re my PR application if I do take unpaid leave/resign and travel to my home country

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Thanks for the reply. A couple of follow up questions:
1. Can I apply for BOWP and then leave (while waiting for the approval)
2. What changes do I have to communicate to the IRCC re my PR application if I do take unpaid leave/resign and travel to my home country
  1. Yes but you'll lose implied status as soon as you leave. So you'll have to wait for a final decision on the BOWP or PR application before being allowed back. If you need visa that's another consideration too.
  2. Change in address certainly. Change in iob status, not necessarily because only what you've claimed points for is relevant and that's already past. But it would not hurt either.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Have you approached your employer?. The majority will not allow you to take a few months of unpaid leave and will have you quit instead. Depending on your housing situation you can either keep paying your rent or if you are in a month to month situation you can give notice and put your stuff in storage and try to save a bit of money.

kaggarwa

Dec 30, 2020
Have you approached your employer?. The majority will not allow you to take a few months of unpaid leave and will have you quit instead. Depending on your housing situation you can either keep paying your rent or if you are in a month to month situation you can give notice and put your stuff in storage and try to save a bit of money.
Someone from my company took unpaid time off as well. I am okay with resigning as well. My roommate is my landlord is it should be okay.

kaggarwa

Dec 30, 2020
  1. Yes but you'll lose implied status as soon as you leave. So you'll have to wait for a final decision on the BOWP or PR application before being allowed back. If you need visa that's another consideration too.
  2. Change in address certainly. Change in iob status, not necessarily because only what you've claimed points for is relevant and that's already past. But it would not hurt either.
Is COPR physically mailed to the address or it sent via email?

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Is COPR physically mailed to the address or it sent via email?
The reason why you need to update your address is that this will determine where the final steps of your application processing are done. If you are abroad your file will most definitely be transferred to the corresponding embassy. This will mean that you will have a visa issued while abroad and you will most likely have to bring your passport to the nearest VAC (Visa application centre) where you will have to pickup your passport and COPR.

This might not be exactly like that, especially post COVID and depending on where it is you will be at.

But updating your address if you move, is a must.

Don't think this is relevant to the conversation.