+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need to reschedule my Oath, options and consequences.

cec6305

Dec 24, 2012
Hello All, we had our Citizenship test on Oct 3rd and clearly noted on the answer sheet our travel dates and also mentioned to the officer during the interview about our travel dates. he mentioned, he will update my file. Even after giving these details, I got an email about the Oath during our vacation time outside country. This will impact our whole travel plan as there is a wedding back home in family.

What are my options to reschedule it and what are the consequences if I reschedule it? I heard stories about rescheduling causing huge delays. Please let me know.

badar14

Champion Member
May 5, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-05-2010
LANDED..........
06-Aug-2013
Hello All, we had our Citizenship test on Oct 3rd and clearly noted on the answer sheet our travel dates and also mentioned to the officer during the interview about our travel dates. he mentioned, he will update my file. Even after giving these details, I got an email about the Oath during our vacation time outside country. This will impact our whole travel plan as there is a wedding back home in family.

What are my options to reschedule it and what are the consequences if I reschedule it? I heard stories about rescheduling causing huge delays. Please let me know.
Hi

There are no consequences other than delay to become Canadian Citizen.

Good Luck

zombiezombie

Star Member
Apr 25, 2014

It will be delayed. So delayed.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
About the only advice I can give is, unless your presence is ABSOLUTELY required and is the difference between life and death, postpone the trip and take the oath as scheduled. You can leave the country after oath, and apply for passport from your country of origin when coming back to Canada.

cec6305

Dec 24, 2012
I wonder why did they even ask the travel dates when they did not even want to consider that, we made sure we told the officer about the dates and he mentioned he will update the file with that info. Its not life and death but my wife's brothers wedding, which was planned long back.

SpiceIsland

Oct 2, 2017
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
24 August 2017
AOR Received.
02 October 2017
Interview........
29 November 2017
I wonder why did they even ask the travel dates when they did not even want to consider that, we made sure we told the officer about the dates and he mentioned he will update the file with that info. Its not life and death but my wife's brothers wedding, which was planned long back.
Just send a note letting them know you are not available to take the Oath and ask them to reschedule for when you get back you might be one of the lucky ones who get Oath Invite right when you get back good luck.

Last edited:

cec6305

Dec 24, 2012
You are right. this is a big event. I wouldn't attend oath if it's even need adjustment on my Daughter's art class. I told them on webform, I will never attend anything if it's not within my kids school time and I don't have time to drop off and pick up my kids from school. Guess what, they scheduled me just 10AM which was perfect.
Thanks did you reschedule it or you informed before hand? Just dont want to be in forever cycle of waiting. This is Calgary office.

badar14

Champion Member
May 5, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-05-2010
LANDED..........
06-Aug-2013
Thanks, how bad can be the delay?

This thread and post scares me that one guy had to reapply for citizenship again due to rescheduling the oath.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/rescheduling-citizenship-ceremony-whats-the-delay.561420/#post-6952223
Couldn't see anyone mentioned on above thread that they have to reapply because they missed the oath. Even the person mentioned that he missed the test but he himself decided to withdraw application himself.

Good Luck

cec6305

Dec 24, 2012
Just spoke to CIC Call center and they looked at my file and indeed confirmed my travel dates entered, but not sure why they scheduled it during that time. Anyone knows Calgary IRCC office phone numbers?

cec6305

Dec 24, 2012
How valid is the reason wedding in a family to postpone? Also, if I can take oath and travel with Indian passport and apply Canadian Passport in India, will that be fine or asked questions in India or Canada during return?

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
How valid is the reason wedding in a family to postpone? Also, if I can take oath and travel with Indian passport and apply Canadian Passport in India, will that be fine or asked questions in India or Canada during return?
There is not going to be any issue on the Canadian side. You are free to leave using any kind of passport from Canada, whether or not you're a Canadian citizen. I heard India lets you use Indian passport for up to three months after naturalizing, so it may be something you want to check. Unless, of course, you don't care all that much about Canadian citizenship, and it's nothing more than a 'piece of paper where you can travel visa-free to more countries' for you.

YWG3

May 23, 2018

There is an email address for rescheduling your oath, and this is mentioned towards the end of the email you received. I will suggest you use this option to notify them of a request to reschedule. Worst case scenario, you will have a new oath date in about 2-3 months, so relax and enjoy your family event.....these are the memories that we carry with us and makes us family.

YWG3

May 23, 2018
How valid is the reason wedding in a family to postpone?
Very valid .......if the oath judge had a family wedding he/she will not be there and a replacement will be arranged, so why should your family wedding be any less important.