+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

need to no if i can go to canada while waiting for my PR visa

freckles4256

Feb 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi im from New Zealand and have just got married to my partner of 2years and he is a canadian.

We have got all the paper work done for Emigation for my PR, im just waiting to do my medical then i can send it.
Ive been told it takes around 3months if there are no delays.
What i would like to no is can i go over to see my husband while we wait for my PR to be process?
How long i can stay in canada for?
What will i get asked at my port of entry (Airport) if i have a one way ticket?
Do i have to notify my emigation consultant that i am going to canada to see my husband?

Can anyone give me some advise on this as im getting a little stressed as Emigation are not very helpful at answering my
questions and im missing my husband very much :(

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
New Zealand is visa-exempt so you shouldn't have too much difficulty visiting your husband - but you absolutely should not try to fly to Canada on a one way ticket at this juncture. You need to be able to demonstrate that you intend to go back home - and the best way to do that is to have a return trip itinerary. If/when they find out that you have a husband in Canada and that you have applied for PR, they are not going to believe that you intend to go home - and you can't "live" in Canada until you have permanent status. The best way to avoid being refused entry is to be able to prove to them that you will, in fact, go back to NZ to wait out the processing of your PR ap.

Now, that doesn't mean that's actually what you'll do once you get into Canada - plans change, and once you're admitted, you're authorized to stay for up to six months and, in fact, you can apply to extend that stay (if you don't have PR status by then) based on the fact that you're married to a Canadian and you have a PR ap in process. You just have to make sure you get your extension application submitted so it's received by CIC BEFORE your 6 months stay expires. But the key is getting into Canada in the first place - and if you start telling them about your husband and your PR ap and coming to stay . . . all without a return trip . . . you're asking for trouble.

freckles4256

Feb 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thankyou so much for your reply this has helped me alot.

Also if my PR gets approved while im in canada how will my visa office contact me? I no this sounds like a silly
question but im unsure on how ill find out.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

You mentioned in your first post:

Do i have to notify my emigation consultant that i am going to canada to see my husband?

If you have a representative in New Zeland the visa ofice will communicate with him, otherwise in your given address / e - mail.

freckles4256 said:
Thankyou so much for your reply this has helped me alot.

Also if my PR gets approved while im in canada how will my visa office contact me? I no this sounds like a silly
question but im unsure on how ill find out.