Feb 26, 2018
Hi all,

So I took IELTS and got the result.

Overall band 8.0.

Reading 9.0
Listening 7.0
Writing 7.5
Speaking 8.5

I plan to retake my exam as I want to increase my score in listening section. Any tips? I barely practiced much first time around. My CRS score is 402. If I score at least 8.0 in listening and maintain or improve same score, my CRS score jumps to 456.

Javid872

Jan 8, 2018
Hi all,

Overall band 8.0.

Reading 9.0
Listening 7.0
Writing 7.5
Speaking 8.5

I plan to retake my exam as I want to increase my score in listening section. Any tips? I barely practiced much first time around. My CRS score is 402. If I score at least 8.0 in listening and maintain or improve same score, my CRS score jumps to 456.
I was in a similar situation. So for my second attempt, I only practised listening and, apart from IELTS practice, I tried to listen to various topics of my interest which, I believe, improved my focus and listening concentration (particularly utilized ted talks). Hopefully, you will get a required score in your next try. Good luck !

ypaul

Star Member
Nov 11, 2017
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-01-2018
Hi all,

Overall band 8.0.

Reading 9.0
Listening 7.0
Writing 7.5
Speaking 8.5

1. Read the questions when you are given time. Know what you need to focus on.
2. Sentences are spoken in order in which questions appear, you also need to follow sequential order.
3. Follow the rules rigidly, if it says write 2 words only, then you MUST write at most 2 words only. If section said 'window panes', you must write 'window panes', not 'windows pane' or 'window pane'.
4. Need to know which words to capitalize, eg names etc.
5. If you skip a question, don't fret about it and carry on. During my test I got noise in my headphones 2 times and missed listening those parts completely, don't loose your cool. There are 40 questions each of equal weightage.
6. Focus, ignore what/how others are doing.

ishangodbole

Feb 26, 2018
2. Sentences are spoken in order in which questions appear, you also need to follow sequential order.
3. Follow the rules rigidly, if it says write 2 words only, then you MUST write at most 2 words only. If section said 'window panes', you must write 'window panes', not 'windows pane' or 'window pane'.
5. If you skip a question, don't fret about it and carry on. During my test I got noise in my headphones 2 times and missed listening those parts completely, don't loose your cool. There are 40 questions each of equal weightage.

Well I won't be having headphones. It's on a speaker.

Ahmedjabary

Feb 25, 2018
guys is there anyone can help me online to increase my score, I'm looking to get overall 8, is there any trusted site for such thing ?

ishangodbole

Feb 26, 2018
Hi all,

Overall band 8.0.

Reading 9.0
Listening 7.0
Writing 7.5
Speaking 8.5

Here we go again. Got IELTS this Saturday. Hope I can get at least 8 in listening. That will raise my score from 402 to 453.

ishangodbole

Feb 26, 2018
Can you provide tips on how to do good in speaking test? Thanks.
Just be confident. Try to use advanced vocabulary. For e.g., I'd use the word 'insinuate' instead of 'hint'. Other than that, be calm and be yourself. Hope that helps.

mahmod2020

Nov 8, 2017
I have received a book from the british council with four preparatory exams. On the first exam there was a map and they didnt mention the questions in order which was confusing and distracting

naten

Feb 20, 2018
Just be confident. Try to use advanced vocabulary. For e.g., I'd use the word 'insinuate' instead of 'hint'. Other than that, be calm and be yourself. Hope that helps.
Thanks. Were you able to fully speak for the whole 2 mins in part 2? I’m struggling to do it. 2 mins seem like a lot.

mahmod2020

Nov 8, 2017
Thanks. Were you able to fully speak for the whole 2 mins in part 2? I’m struggling to do it. 2 mins seem like a lot.
I had the same issue during my first IELTS attempt.
For the second attempt I was aware of a technique that would enable you to expand your answer
you don't have to worry about the bullet points given to you in the card , instead answer the questions : what , who , where , when , why and what did you feel about this particular topic.

Another technique I heard about lately from E2 english is that you need to talk about 3 stories , not just one
also you can talk about past , present and future .
I hope this is helpful and good luck