+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need some Input on how CIC verifies Marital status

loa2611

Mar 6, 2016
Hi All, I got secretly married and divorced about 4 years back. Hardly anyone knows about it and My status shows single in all documents.

I am planning to keep the marital status as single in post ITA form than divorced.

I believe it isn't as major as being Married and reporting as single as some applicants do (to get points or due to lack of funds etc).

Considering that my case wont burden the Canadian economy. I cant think of anyway single status is different than divorce from a Visa officer point of view or a PR granting country point of view.

I know there is a risk. But I wish to ask the Seniors is there any way out? For ex I read in the CIC website that some things like being widow and reporting single may be taken as mistake and not exactly misrepresentation.

Please guide about your idea on how CIC verifies Marital status. Thanks.

Is it that the married people or people who try to sponsor their spouses are scrutinized more than singles. That seems logical too.

jairichi

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
loa2611 said:
Hi All, I got secretly married and divorced about 4 years back. Hardly anyone knows about it and My status shows single in all documents.

I am planning to keep the marital status as single in post ITA form than divorced.

I believe it isn't as major as being Married and reporting as single as some applicants do (to get points or due to lack of funds etc).

Considering that my case wont burden the Canadian economy. I cant think of anyway single status is different than divorce from a Visa officer point of view or a PR granting country point of view.

I know there is a risk. But I wish to ask the Seniors is there any way out? For ex I read in the CIC website that some things like being widow and reporting single may be taken as mistake and not exactly misrepresentation.

Is it that the married people or people who try to sponsor their spouses are scrutinized more than singles. That seems logical too.
You need to select divorced as anytime later if Canadian immigration finds that you lied in your application you lose everything.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
loa2611 said:

If you try to hide the fact that you were married and divorced, it amounts to misrepresentation. If it is found out, then your PR would be cancelled (if you get one) or you will be banned from making a PR application for the next 5 years. It is not worth it.

Instead, if would be advisable to state your status as divorced and you can submit the documents which can support your claim of your current status.

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Express Entry FSW Outlander
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
loa2611 said:

You can mentions status as divorced and attach your legal divorce papers and no questions will be asked about your ex-spouse.

henryphan

Star Member
Aug 12, 2014
I think his/her problem is (s)he already stated single in the previous immigration applications. Maybe this case is not as serious as married but declared single. I think an explanation letter to CIC may be helpful. Any other advice?

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
Single in IRCC's definition is never married. They don't care what other documents you have stated as single. Why do you think being divorced has a disadvantage being single? Provide divorce papers and you will be treated as single in the CRS points. On the other hand, if IRCC finds out you have been once married, you are considered misrepresentation.

It is not for you to decide whether you are a burden of Canadian society.

SecularFirst

Nov 21, 2015
The thing is if they find out later, they would assume that you are hiding many other things. Who knows what info they gather in background checks. Its not simply getting info from your area police about you. Better to declare everything truthfully.

JessCan2016

Oct 11, 2016
Hi folks, I made exactly the same mistake but in my study permit and work permit applications (I chose "Single" instead of "Divorced"). All of my applications got approved but now I realized that I made a misrepresentation mistake (at that time I thought Single and Divorced are the same!). Should I send to CIC an explanation letter? Any way I can change this situation right? Will this mistake affect my PR application (PNP) later?

Gagan89

Star Member
Dec 7, 2015
as long as if your not claiming points for your spouse in your EE profile you r gud to go. there is no misrepresentation

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have the exact same problem. What did you guys end up doing? Please respond!
Declare the marriage in your application rather than risking a refusal based on misrepresentation and a 5 year ban from Canada.

KateS

Oct 13, 2020
I intend to but won't they see that I did not declare it in pgwp and study permit? What happens then? We were only married on paper and never lived together. No joint bank account, no shared property nothing. No fb post. It was all a secret. I wanted a divorce a year later but he wouldn't give it. And since it was a secret and ai was a student at the time I couldn't do anything. No way we could have had a Joint bank account, the guy never earned anything. @scylla

Last edited:

James776665

Dec 24, 2020
Hi folks, I made exactly the same mistake but in my study permit and work permit applications (I chose "Single" instead of "Divorced"). All of my applications got approved but now I realized that I made a misrepresentation mistake (at that time I thought Single and Divorced are the same!). Should I send to CIC an explanation letter? Any way I can change this situation right? Will this mistake affect my PR application (PNP) later?
What did you do ? Or you are already pr?

Karminder warring

Apr 2, 2021
Hi what did u do plz reply?