+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need some help / TRV refusal of my sister

h1ghland3r

Jun 4, 2014
Hello guys,

First of all, sorry for my English.

I really need some help. I am a brazilian student staying in Canada until next yeat. I have a scholarship paid by the Brazilian Government. My sister would like to visit me in August (only one month). However, she applied recently to TRV and got a refusal for the follow reasons:

You have not satisfied me that you would leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident.
In reaching this decision, I considered several factors, including:
- Your travel history
- Purpose of visit

I am not satisfied that you have sufficient funds, including income or assets, to carry out your stated
purpose in going to Canada or to maintain yourself while in Canada and to effect your departure.
So,

1) (..not satisfied me that you would leave Canada...)? She doesn't study anymore or have assets. In fact, I don't know how fix this issue.
2) Travel history: She has never gone to other country. It will be her first flight. I don't know how to do with this situtation. Her passport is also recent.
3) Purpose of Visit: I think this mistake was my fault, because I only re-send the same file of the Invitation Letter (because inside it I said about she would like to visit me and know this city). Should she does another letter signed by her?
4) Sufficient Funds: My sister works and she sent a letter from where she works in her application. Although, I believe CIC wants to see more money in her bank statements (she has a few more than one thousand dollars there). Can her provide bank statements and declarations reports of our aunt that lives with her?

If yes, she need to say "YES" to this question? (Do you depend on someone for financial support?), because, in fact, she doesn't depend, but if this may help her to get a visa... Also, I've tought of our aunt deposit some money in my sister bank account to improve her bank statement.

I guess I cannot be her financial support because I don't have much money in my Canadian bank account.

Please, advice me the best thing to do and more one time, sorry for my English. And really thanks for the help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Does your sister work? Can she show proof of employment and a letter from her employer confirming she has been given a month of work to come and visit you? If she is not working, isn't in school, and has no assets - then I think it's going to be extremely difficult for her to be approved for a TRV since she can't demonstrate any ties to her home country. I'm not sure I would bother applying again unless she can come up with some strong evidence to show ties.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
h1ghland3r said:
1) (..not satisfied me that you would leave Canada...)? She doesn't study anymore or have assets. In fact, I don't know how fix this issue.
Who says this is a problem? The problems are the ones stated in the refusal.

h1ghland3r said:
2) Travel history: She has never gone to other country. It will be her first flight. I don't know how to do with this situtation. Her passport is also recent.
This is OK. No need to fix it.

h1ghland3r said:
3) Purpose of Visit: I think this mistake was my fault, because I only re-send the same file of the Invitation Letter (because inside it I said about she would like to visit me and know this city). Should she does another letter signed by her?
I don't get what she did here. You resend? Where did you send it in the first place?

Yes I think this was the main problem.

h1ghland3r said:
Sufficient Funds: My sister works and she sent a letter from where she works in her application. Although, I believe CIC wants to see more money in her bank statements (she has a few more than one thousand dollars there). Can her provide bank statements and declarations reports of our aunt that lives with her?

If yes, she need to say "YES" to this question? (Do you depend on someone for financial support?), because, in fact, she doesn't depend, but if this may help her to get a visa... Also, I've tought of our aunt deposit some money in my sister bank account to improve her bank statement.
The questions are: she has less than 1000CAN in her account, you have a small scholarship, how were you planning to live for one month? where was the money going to come from? air ticket fares? if she gets sick who is going to pay for it? .... What was your plan in this regard? This can help the officer to make a decision.

Also it is not about feeding the officer with lies to get a VISA. She already sent an application stating she is no one dependant, this is a red flag.

h1ghland3r

Jun 4, 2014
scylla said:
Does your sister work? Can she show proof of employment and a letter from her employer confirming she has been given a month of work to come and visit you? If she is not working, isn't in school, and has no assets - then I think it's going to be extremely difficult for her to be approved for a TRV since she can't demonstrate any ties to her home country. I'm not sure I would bother applying again unless she can come up with some strong evidence to show ties.
She works and she sent a letter proving her employment in her first attempt. We have not applied a second time yet.

-----------------

[quote author=Jalex23]Who says this is a problem? The problems are the ones stated in the refusal.[/quote]

Got it.

[quote author=Jalex23]This is OK. No need to fix it.[/quote]

Got it.

[quote author=Jalex23]I don't get what she did here. You resend? Where did you send it in the first place?

Yes I think this was the main problem.[/quote]

No, let me explain again. I made an 'Invitation Letter' to her. But when she applied, I told to her only copy the same Invitation Letter on the field 'Purpose of Visit'. She applied directly in CIC website (online application)

I believe I've should said her to create a Purpose Visit Letter instead only copy the same 'Invitation Letter'. Is it clear now?

[quote author=Jalex23]The questions are: she has less than 1000CAN in her account, you have a small scholarship, how were you planning to live for one month? where was the money going to come from? air ticket fares? if she gets sick who is going to pay for it? .... What was your plan in this regard? This can help the officer to make a decision.[/quote]

I am not going with her. I'm in Canada since last December and I'll stay here until next year. I have enough money to me, but I don't believe I can sponsor her.

[quote author=Jalex23]Also it is not about feeding the officer with lies to get a VISA. She already sent an application stating she is no one dependant, this is a red flag.[/quote]

Because of this I asked about our aunt that lives in Brazil with her. And what do you think about our aunt deposit money in my sister bank account to increase her bank statement?

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
h1ghland3r said:
No, let me explain again. I made an 'Invitation Letter' to her. But when she applied, I told to her only copy the same Invitation Letter on the field 'Purpose of Visit'. She applied directly in CIC website (online application)

I believe I've should said her to create a Purpose Visit Letter instead only copy the same 'Invitation Letter'. Is it clear now?
OK. This was all wrong.

You have to give her an invitation letter where you should attach your study permit and letter of enrolment of your education institution. Scan them and get together a single PDF file, send that to her and she can upload it in the letter of invitation slot.

h1ghland3r said:
I am not going with her. I'm in Canada since last December and I'll stay here until next year. I have enough money to me, but I don't believe I can sponsor her.
The question remains, what's your plan for getting the needed money to live in Canada for one month? Who is going to pay for trips, hotel, airfare, illness, transportation, etc?

h1ghland3r said:
Because of this I asked about our aunt that lives in Brazil with her. And what do you think about our aunt deposit money in my sister bank account to increase her bank statement?
That's alright, for one month she would need around 3000 CAN dollars besides accomodation expenses (hotel, short term rental, etc.).

h1ghland3r

Jun 4, 2014
Jalex23 said:
OK. This was all wrong.

You have to give her an invitation letter where you should attach your study permit and letter of enrolment of your education institution. Scan them and get together a single PDF file, send that to her and she can upload it in the letter of invitation slot.
Got it. I'll correct my Invitation Letter. One question more, can I send my bank statements in invitation letter as well as these documents?

The question remains, what's your plan for getting the needed money to live in Canada for one month? Who is going to pay for trips, hotel, airfare, illness, transportation, etc?
She has already paid the airplane tickets by herself. She won't need to pay accommodation because she will stay at my house. And I'll be supporting her with one thousand dollars when she came.

That's alright, for one month she would need around 3000 CAN dollars besides accomodation expenses (hotel, short term rental, etc.).
3000 dollars for only one month? o_0 I spent less than I half of this in one month. Remember, she wont need to pay accomodation.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
h1ghland3r said:
Got it. I'll correct my Invitation Letter. One question more, can I send my bank statements in invitation letter as well as these documents?
What would be the purpose of this? You say you can't sponsor her, so why would you need to show any money?

h1ghland3r said:
She has already paid the airplane tickets by herself. She won't need to pay accommodation because she will stay at my house. And I'll be supporting her with one thousand dollars when she came.
She has to have the money BEFORE entering Canada. You can say whatever you want but for immigration this is no good, either she has the money or not, "will have" is not good enugh.

h1ghland3r said:
3000 dollars for only one month? o_0 I spent less than I half of this in one month. Remember, she wont need to pay accomodation.
Yes if she was paying accomodation it could skyrocket.

This is the thing, she is saying she comes for tourism and to get to know the area, so she is expected to spend money to do that: go on trips, tours, shopping, dining, etc. You are trying to sell the officer that she is traveling such a long distance just to take a walk in the park with you while enjoying a tuna sandwich? Well maybe that's true but that doesn't sound like a genuine visit.

Yeah we as students know how to live with little money, basically because we are not supposed to be enjoying life, going out, making trips, we are supposed to focus 100% in studying and studying generates almost no expenses. A tourist is supposed to "enjoy life" and for that you need money.

I'll suggest you try to get 2000 CAN in her account and ask for 2 weeks. I think in your case that would make much more sense to the immigration officer.

Good luck.