+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NEED SOME ANSWERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CK1234567890

Sep 7, 2011
After taking full-time courses last year (from sept. to april), would taking a course over the summer be considered as a part time study?

This is what's on the immigration website: You must have studied full time in Canada and you must have completed a program of study that lasted at least eight months. So consider the two cases:

If person A went to a 2 yr college and studied full time for 2 yr. -> gets pgwp
If person B did a 4 yr degree program but studied part time for one or two term, then studied full time for 3 years and graduated. -> would this person get pgwp? what do you say guys?

Jd5

Star Member
May 6, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

CK1234567890 said:
After taking full-time courses last year (from sept. to april), would taking a course over the summer be considered as a part time study?

This is what's on the immigration website: You must have studied full time in Canada and you must have completed a program of study that lasted at least eight months. So consider the two cases:

If person A went to a 2 yr college and studied full time for 2 yr. -> gets pgwp
If person B did a 4 yr degree program but studied part time for one or two term, then studied full time for 3 years and graduated. -> would this person get pgwp? what do you say guys?

B won't be allowed to take/register any part time course by his school. It's against rules for schools to give such admission.

B can be a part time student only in the last semester when very few subjects left for graduation.

CK1234567890

Sep 7, 2011
Hmm, yea, okay,

What about taking a summer course? Anybody took a summer course part time while in school? and applied for post graduate work permit after graduation?

My school isn't big. I am taking 6 credits over two months (May to June) but it got nothing else to take after this.

The school says I am a full time student until June but not from July and not for the summer.

I found this: graduated from a specific program of full-time study (of at least eight months).

CK1234567890

Sep 7, 2011
It's funny that I post a question and answer it myself but for those of you who might have the same concern while studying in Canada.

I called CIC and they said as long as you graduated from a full time program, you are eligible for pgwp.

Taking summer courses part time is fine. They look at academic years.
If a student didn't study full time in their early years but studied full time later on and finished a program, even that student is fine too. They look at the long term results.

Professor D

May 15, 2012
Yes, summer classes are fine. You are considered full-time for the academic year, which is September to January (8 months), and in the summer, you can take part-time or occasional classes if you want. I agree that the PGWP requires studies in a full-time program. Notice from the website that the length of the PGWP depends on the length of your program (not how long it takes you to finish it because everyone works at a different pace).